Ford signs COP26 declaration for 100% ZEV transition by 2035

Ford is "all in". It joins GM, JLR, Mercedes-Benz, and Volvo Cars for this commitment. COP26 declaration on accelerating the transition to 100% zero emission cars and vans - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

"As automotive manufacturers, we will work towards reaching 100% zero emission new car and van sales in leading markets by 2035 or earlier, supported by a business strategy that is in line with achieving this ambition, as we help build customer demand."

50296971-10185879-image-a-11_16365396544

• Haha 2
  • Thanks 1

Six Major Automakers Agree to End Gas Car Sales Globally by 2040

"However, the governments of three of the most significant car markets—the United States, China, and Japan—refrained from joining the pledge, as did major automakers such as Toyota, Volkswagen, and Nissan-Renault."

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a38213848/automakers-pledge-end-gas-sales-2040/

Less pollution is always a good thing. BEV's may not be the best way there. COP26 I see as a farce. How many thousands? Don't these people work? Lets tax the working class for carbon, we'll make a fortune. Best develop a taste for tofu because meat will be tabu! Here in the great white north (That isn't politically incorrect now I hope) the trees are stunted from hug marks. I might make 2040, then concede and get a BE wheelchair.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bryan1 said:

the governments of three of the most significant car markets—the United States, China, and Japan—refrained from joining the pledge

Yes sir. However, several U.S. states and cities did sign the declaration.

• Ann Arbor
  • Atlanta
  • California
  • Charleston
  • Dallas
  • Los Angeles
  • New York State
  • New York City
  • San Diego
  • San Francisco
  • Santa Monica
  • Seattle
  • Washington State

10 hours ago, rperez817 said:

• Ann Arbor
  • Atlanta
  • California
  • Charleston
  • Dallas
  • Los Angeles
  • New York State
  • New York City
  • San Diego
  • San Francisco
  • Santa Monica
  • Seattle
  • Washington State

Several of those cities are within states that also signed the declaration.  Doesn’t that make those cities somewhat redundant?

19 minutes ago, CurtisH said:

Several of those cities are within states that also signed the declaration.  Doesn’t that make those cities somewhat redundant?

Good question CurtisH sir. According to the COP26 site, the cities and states that signed the declaration committed to "converting our owned or leased car and van fleets to zero emission vehicles by 2035 at the latest". Because city governments operate vehicle fleets that are separate from state government fleets, the city signatories would not be redundant.

15 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Ford is "all in". It joins GM, JLR, Mercedes-Benz, and Volvo Cars for this commitment. COP26 declaration on accelerating the transition to 100% zero emission cars and vans - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

"As automotive manufacturers, we will work towards reaching 100% zero emission new car and van sales in leading markets by 2035 or earlier, supported by a business strategy that is in line with achieving this ambition, as we help build customer demand."

Did Tesla sign on too?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A friend of mine who works in county government told me that there is a federal grant available to municipalities for replacing ICE small engine equipment (snow blowers in my friend's case) with all electric; battery or plugin. One huge hurdle to clear though, is a requirement that the ICE devices must be certified destroyed, not resold or recycled.

11 minutes ago, Chrisgb said:

A friend of mine who works in county government told me that there is a federal grant available to municipalities for replacing ICE small engine equipment (snow blowers in my friend's case) with all electric; battery or plugin. One huge hurdle to clear though, is a requirement that the ICE devices must be certified destroyed, not resold or recycled.

One way around that would be to identify older ICE powered equipment that is ready to be replaced, replace them with EV equivalent with the grant $$$, destroy them and then go out and buy new ICE powered equipment to serve as back up to the EV equipment.

2 hours ago, twintornados said:

Did Tesla sign on too?

No sir twintornados, Tesla was not among the auto industry companies that signed the declaration. Here are the others, beyond the ones mentioned in the OP, that did.

• Avera Electric Vehicles (India)
  • BYD Auto (China)
  • Etrio Automobiles Private Limited (India)
  • Gayam Motor Works (India)
  • MOBI (research institute in Belgium)
  • Quantum Motors (Bolivia)

2 hours ago, Chrisgb said:

One huge hurdle to clear though, is a requirement that the ICE devices must be certified destroyed, not resold or recycled.

Can that requirement be fulfilled by draining the crankcase on the ICE devices, filling it with sodium silicate, and running the engine until it self-destructs? That is how things worked with the Cash for Clunkers program in 2009. 

Edited by rperez817

25 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Can that requirement be fulfilled by draining the crankcase on the ICE devices, filling it with sodium silicate, and running the engine until it self-destructs? That is how things worked with the Cash for Clunkers program in 2009. 

I haven't followed up on the matter, just going by what my friend  said: "Certified destroyed." I imagine it would be too impractical to just destroy the ICE engine and then sell or recycle the rest.

While I am in favor of moving away from carbon-containing fuels, I think that simply reselling or recycling the older equipment would be more beneficial in the long run.

There are many small operators who would welcome the chance to buy used gov't machinery and replace their own worn-out inventory. But the way the grants supposedly work, a lot of serviceable ICE equipment will be destroyed while older equipment remains in service. Worst case, a sizable faction will pass on the program and fewer E-equipment enters the inventory.

• Thanks 1

Interesting comments from non signatories:

An auto industry source said some automakers are wary of the pledge because it commits them to a costly shift in technology but lacks a similar commitment from governments to ensure that the necessary charging and grid infrastructure would be built to support electric vehicles. 

VW Group CEO Herbert Diess said the proposed phase-out of internal combustion engine cars by 2040 was "not doable."

"We need raw materials, new mines, a circular economy. Battery capacity and building renewable energy grids across Europe will be the bottleneck," Diess said

https://www.autonews.com/regulation-safety/why-automakers-are-divided-climate-pledge-eliminate-ice-vehicles-2040

Edited by Harley Lover

1 hour ago, Harley Lover said:

While governments and businesses need to collaborate with each other to achieve the goals summarized in the COP26 declaration, Diess' "not doable" comment is absurd.

16 hours ago, rperez817 said:

• Ann Arbor
  • Atlanta
  • California
  • Charleston
  • Dallas
  • Los Angeles
  • New York State
  • New York City
  • San Diego
  • San Francisco
  • Santa Monica
  • Seattle
  • Washington State

just for my own edification...how does that break down to Blue and Red governed run states and cities?.....

21 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Not sure what Ford has to gain from a business point of view by "signing on", rather than just quietly behind the scenes keep strong EV development and solid choices on both sides for customers moving forward.  Seems like some kind of 'Virtue Signal' to me.  A company known for reliable hard working trucks should keep options open for the customers that will still need/want certain trucks in the future.  Bit unnerving that the two 800lb gorillas Toyota and VW have not 'signed', but appear to be doing just what I suggested above.  

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Kev-Mo said:

Not sure what Ford has to gain from a business point of view by "signing on", rather than just quietly behind the scenes keep strong EV development and solid choices on both sides for customers moving forward.  Seems like some kind of 'Virtue Signal' to me.  A company known for reliable hard working trucks should keep options open for the customers that will still need/want certain trucks in the future.  Bit unnerving that the two 800lb gorillas Toyota and VW have not 'signed', but appear to be doing just what I suggested above.  

William Clay Ford Jr. is probably behind this move. He has always had the vision of seeing Ford become a full on stop green company. Another sign was his move from Grosse Pte. to Ann Arbor years ago. Hard to live in Ann Arbor and not be part of the green movement. 

And where is Subaru? The darling green automobile of 'woke' Boulder Colorado environmentalists - seriously doubt they'll all be trading in their Outbacks for a Ford now. 

Time will tell on this move by Ford, but I think they could have played it smarter.  Looking to future is great, but you don't have to kick your long time traditional customers to the curb.

Edited by Kev-Mo
  • Like 5