Mustang and Corvette GT3 pony car wars coming in 2024

IMSA-XJR9

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If the Gen3 Supercar will get S650 skin, then I imagine FMC will wait to unveil new Mustang GT3 with the announcement of S650, or shortly thereafter . . . 

PRUETT: IMSA GTD Pro looks set for a strong start | RACER

And with Ford expected to be inbound with a new GT3 Mustang in the next year or two, plus Corvette starting work on a new GT3 version of its title-winning GTLM C8.R, all signs point to a bright future for IMSA and GTD Pro.

New look for Gen3 Ford Mustang before 2023 - Speedcafe

That’s because Ford will launch a new generation of its iconic pony car before then, likely sometime in the second half of 2022. While no one in the Blue Oval camp would speak on the record, Speedcafe.com understands that the current ‘S550’ shape will be replaced by the new ‘S650’ Mustang by the time the 2023 Repco Supercars Championship begins.

Edited by IMSA-XJR9

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2022 at 2:30 PM, Stray Kat said:

Thinking on it though I hope IMSA gives Ford and the new Stang a chance because their track record seems to be very un-Ford friendly. 

Balance of power. Ford GT only had one year of dominance before balance of power removed its fangs. So the IMSA Mustang should be competitive. Corvettes will be defanged by BOP if it's too dominant. 

3 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

Balance of power. Ford GT only had one year of dominance before balance of power removed its fangs. So the IMSA Mustang should be competitive. Corvettes will be defanged by BOP if it's too dominant. 

Was the GTLM Corvette defanged by the BOP? Not nearly as much as the Ford GT. 

By the time IMSA ans the WEC were done with the Ford GT it looked like a dump truck going around the track. 

I think Chevrolet or maybe more accurately GM gets a little more leeway if ya know what I mean. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stray Kat said:

By the time IMSA ans the WEC were done with the Ford GT it looked like a dump truck going around the track. 

I think Chevrolet or maybe more accurately GM gets a little more leeway if ya know what I mean. 

I don't know about that. The new C8 Corvette seems to be not as good as the C7 in racing trim. Even with less competition. And the Ford GT still won a slew of IMSA races after losing 150 hp. Bad luck also lost it races. LeMans with that long straight did its job with losing all that hp. But on courses with more corners and shorter straights, the Ford GT was very competitive and always a threat to win. 

The problem with the way they handled BOP is they changed it constantly sometimes the day before the race.  At least give the teams an entire season to reap the rewards of good tuning and great driving before penalizing them.   Why should anyone strive to be the best if they’re just going to let everyone else catch up?   That’s why Ford left.

• Like 2

On 2/7/2022 at 4:22 PM, FordBuyer said:

On 2/7/2022 at 7:56 PM, Stray Kat said:

On 2/7/2022 at 11:40 PM, FordBuyer said:

I don't know about that. The new C8 Corvette seems to be not as good as the C7 in racing trim. Even with less competition. And the Ford GT still won a slew of IMSA races after losing 150 hp. Bad luck also lost it races. LeMans with that long straight did its job with losing all that hp. But on courses with more corners and shorter straights, the Ford GT was very competitive and always a threat to win. 

On 2/8/2022 at 12:13 AM, akirby said:

The problem with the way they handled BOP is they changed it constantly sometimes the day before the race.  At least give the teams an entire season to reap the rewards of good tuning and great driving before penalizing them.   Why should anyone strive to be the best if they’re just going to let everyone else catch up?   That’s why Ford left.

C8 this year was/is severely hampered going into GT3/GTD using a GT2 car, which kind of stinks, but it is what it is.  The Ford GT, if no BOP, could have won overall Le Mans (I believe) when it ran, it was the most advanced GT2 machine at the time. 

Money will always rule in sports car racing/BOP, probably shouldn't be, but if manufacturers spending money, they want some level of playing field . . . unless you are F1 . . . then just spend, baby, spend!  

I guess FMC is being smart(ish) with their support . . . no IndyCar engine, no F1 team/engine (poor Stewart than Jaguar days), no GTP/LMH/Hypercar/LMDh.  I do wish FMC was in IndyCar, but I understand why they are not, though it seems like a good place to promote ecoboost . . . just (only just) de-stroke the 2.7 to 2.4 and have at it!!  LOL!

Edited by IMSA-XJR9
  • Like 1

On 2/7/2022 at 4:56 PM, Stray Kat said:

The Ford GT was saddled with the most weight, least boost and fuel, of all the GTLM cars by the time things were done, if my memory is correct.

I really hope they finally decide to jump into the GTP/LMDh wars and go back to Le Mans to win overall!

Edited by traxiii

• 4 weeks later...

The Mustang GT4's in IMSA's Michelin Pilot Series "GS class" has been doing fairly well so far, with one Mustang leading the 4 hour race at Daytona until almost half way, before retiring with an undisclosed issue.

HEADS UP: Sebring  is this weekend!