Electric Vehicle Discussion Thread - Ford Related

rperez817

1 hour ago, mackinaw said:

Not true.  Ford's Emma Bergg director of EV Communications, said yesterday that the Lightning is on track for spring 2022 deliveries.  

https://fordauthority.com/2021/12/2022-ford-f-150-lightning-deliveries-will-begin-next-spring/

Very weird, because Ford Authority said yesterday delay until Sept. Deliveries in "spring"could be March, April, May, or late June. We will see as for spring delivery Ford will have to reach Job 1 in next few months.  Launch delays are common, especially now with so much uncertainty about everything. Article yesterday was in my Discovery feed and lamented that Ford would lose orders to competitor EVs with long delay. Silverado EV to be revealed soon. 

58 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

Very weird, because Ford Authority said yesterday delay until Sept. Deliveries in "spring"could be March, April, May, or late June. We will see as for spring delivery Ford will have to reach Job 1 in next few months.  Launch delays are common, especially now with so much uncertainty about everything. Article yesterday was in my Discovery feed and lamented that Ford would lose orders to competitor EVs with long delay. Silverado EV to be revealed soon. 

The reason Ford said Spring is because they don’t want to promise Q1 when it’s Q2 or actually falls to early Q3.

GM Zero is busy producing its 65,000 Hummer orders, I can see EV Silverado production going from late 2022

to early 2023 as GM works hard to fill those $100k Hummer orders, they can’t rush those out.

Edited by jpd80

I don't how many have heard this, but some condo HOAs with attached garage parking are banning EVs as fire hazards. They will have to park outside somewhere. They greatly fear battery fire and how difficult it is to put out. I know the Bolt has been banned at many parking structures. I have a feeling many Condo Associations with attached parking structures are paying attention to this. 

21 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

I don't how many have heard this, but some condo HOAs with attached garage parking are banning EVs as fire hazards. They will have to park outside somewhere. They greatly fear battery fire and how difficult it is to put out. I know the Bolt has been banned at many parking structures. I have a feeling many Condo Associations with attached parking structures are paying attention to this. 

This is sort of the like the situation with the Explorer and getting a trailer rental for it...its overblown. They are banning EV's over one model and not Teslas or other branded EVs? 

Cars catch on fire inside of a house and can be just as difficult to put out. Its a stupid kneejerk reaction. 

• Like 2

On 12/3/2021 at 2:15 PM, akirby said:

How are you liking the Corsair GT?  It’s on the short list to replace our mkx.

I love it.  I really only have a couple of minor complaints.  The engine noise is a bit harsh for a Lincoln.  I had a 2019 Nautilus Reserve with AWD and the 2.7L engine.  It was much quieter than the 2.5L Atkinson cycle engine on the Corsair GT.  I sprung for the 24 way adjustable seats because I loved them on my Nautilus.  They are not anything like the comfort of the Nautilus seats.  They aren't uncomfortable but they definitely don't have as much padding as I think they should.  When I ordered my vehicle the 24 way adjustable seats were a stand alone option at $1100.  I think the for 2022 model they are part of a package.  Both of these are common complaints I have seen on the Lincoln forum.

I got every option on mine except the bigger wheels.  I couldn't see plucking down $2000 for 20" wheels.  I prefer the 19" wheels that are standard on the GT.  I got the Revel audio system too.  I love the sound.

As for charging, you don't need a level 2 charger.  The included charging cable can plug into a 120V 16A outlet or a 240V 20A dual pole outlet with the included adapter.  Recharging if the batteries are completely depleted at 120V takes around 11 hours and gets you around 28 miles of all electric driving.  Recharging at 240V takes around 3.5 hours.  The 240V outlet is a NEMA 6-20R configuration.  I had a licensed electrician put in the 240V outlet in my garage.  

I have almost 950 miles so far and am getting nearly 60 MPG but that does include a lot of city driving on all electric.  I have found that you need to engage the ICE a few times per week to keep the 12V battery charged.  Otherwise, you get a notice that your vehicle is in deep sleep mode to conserve the battery power.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, RedHoncho01 said:

I love it.  I really only have a couple of minor complaints.  The engine noise is a bit harsh for a Lincoln.  I had a 2019 Nautilus Reserve with AWD and the 2.7L engine.  It was much quieter than the 2.5L Atkinson cycle engine on the Corsair GT.  I sprung for the 24 way adjustable seats because I loved them on my Nautilus.  They are not anything like the comfort of the Nautilus seats.  They aren't uncomfortable but they definitely don't have as much padding as I think they should.  When I ordered my vehicle the 24 way adjustable seats were a stand alone option at $1100.  I think the for 2022 model they are part of a package.  Both of these are common complaints I have seen on the Lincoln forum.

I got every option on mine except the bigger wheels.  I couldn't see plucking down $2000 for 20" wheels.  I prefer the 19" wheels that are standard on the GT.  I got the Revel audio system too.  I love the sound.

As for charging, you don't need a level 2 charger.  The included charging cable can plug into a 120V 16A outlet or a 240V 20A dual pole outlet with the included adapter.  Recharging if the batteries are completely depleted at 120V takes around 11 hours and gets you around 28 miles of all electric driving.  Recharging at 240V takes around 3.5 hours.  The 240V outlet is a NEMA 6-20R configuration.  I had a licensed electrician put in the 240V outlet in my garage.  

I have almost 950 miles so far and am getting nearly 60 MPG but that does include a lot of city driving on all electric.  I have found that you need to engage the ICE a few times per week to keep the 12V battery charged.  Otherwise, you get a notice that your vehicle is in deep sleep mode to conserve the battery power.

Thanks for the review.  We only sat in the Corsair. Riefly but I thought the seats were very similar to the Nautilus, but maybe not based on your experience.  That’s one of the main goals is seat comfort.  Aviator is also a possibility but wife thinks it will be too big (mind you she’s driven older explorers, an expedition and an 1st Gen Aviator.  I would like just a bit more space than the MKX.  Also frustrating the Nautilus has no hev or PHEV options.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

Delayed 18 months? I must have missed that somewhere. Not good. 

Honestly, the response to Lightning made me think that launching BEV Explorer/Aviator so quickly after would tax Ford’s resources. It’s clear that BEV Ford’s are going to be monster hits but was that about to happen much faster and years earlier than Ford planned?

5 hours ago, ice-capades said:

Delayed 18 months? I must have missed that somewhere. Not good. 

Since Ford stock was up 10% today to almost $22, I wonder if this 18 month delay news came before or after the market closed for the weekend. Ford is good at pushing Job 1 dates out further and further. Ice-capades reports these delays almost on a weekly basis. Add in chip and battery supply issues, and no date is firm. 

3 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

Since Ford stock was up 10% today to almost $22, I wonder if this 18 month delay news came before or after the market closed for the weekend. Ford is good at pushing Job 1 dates out further and further. Ice-capades reports these delays almost on a weekly basis. Add in chip and battery supply issues, and no date is firm. 

To me it makes sense because Ford will be scrambling for enough battery supply between now and the end of 2024,

so it makes sense to double down on production volume for Mach E, Lightning and E Transit….that is achievable.

The main game begins late 2024/early 2025 when Tennessee ramps up, that should be one heck of a sight……

• Like 1

The delay is being spun by Ford PR as a response to huge demand for Mach E. Not saying that is not true... just saying that Wall Street views it positively for a reason. 

The reality is somewhere in the middle of this Venn diagram - huge unmet demand for Mach E, design delays for GE2, poor production planning process, projected battery supply constrains

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Today, Ford announced a packaged BEV charging software, hardware, and services offering called Ford Pro Charging for fleet BEV customers. It will work with both Ford BEV such as F-150 Lightning and E-Transit as well as BEV from other manufacturers.

Ford Pro Charging Launches to Help Businesses of All Sizes Overcome the Hurdle to Seamless Electrification | Ford Media Center

• Ford Pro Charging offers enterprise-grade charge management software, hardware and services to support commercial customers running a fleet of electric vehicles
  • A simple management solution for electrified fleets of all makes and sizes, Ford Pro Charging lets customers switch between charging at depots, employee homes, and public charging stations
  • Ford Pro Charging’s goal is to provide integrated end-to-end charging solutions including consultation on depot site design, installation, operations, maintenance, and support all backed by Ford Pro to give customers peace of mind while helping them optimize energy costs and uptime
  • Ford Pro expects annual U.S. industry sales of full-size all-electric trucks and vans in the commercial and government segments to be over 300K by 2030. With 125,000 fleet customers of all sizes in the U.S., Ford is uniquely positioned to build on these relationships as a trusted partner that can enable their transition to electric vehicles

FordPro_DepotChargingSoftware_Dashboard.jpg

On 12/14/2021 at 4:35 AM, bzcat said:

The delay is being spun by Ford PR as a response to huge demand for Mach E. Not saying that is not true... just saying that Wall Street views it positively for a reason. 

The reality is somewhere in the middle of this Venn diagram - huge unmet demand for Mach E, design delays for GE2, poor production planning process, projected battery supply constrains

IMO, you’re on the mark with that assessment, I’m not convinced that Mach E sales will be as much as Ford thinks but glad to be proven wrong…. 
Delaying GE2 for 18 months gives Lightning the doubling of  battery supply it needs, the optics work because people want Lightning now and they will buy as many as Ford can make, so the absence of BEV Explorer/Aviator is really a zero sum game for Ford, one that is being worked  to its advantage thanks to limited battery supply.

GE2 delay is also an opportunity to further align with suppliers and equipment going into TE1, so yeah, I’m thinking Explorer & Aviator will join Expedition & Navigator down one line while F150 is built down the other…….

the next two years are all about Ford getting its ducks in a row, making as many Lightning as it can, Mach E gets a nice ramp up whether sales follow that remains to be seen….

Edited by jpd80

2 hours ago, jpd80 said:

IMO, you’re on the mark with that assessment, I’m not convinced that Mach E sales will be as much as Ford thinks but glad to be proven wrong…. 
Delaying GE2 for 18 months gives Lightning the doubling of  battery supply it needs, the optics work because people want Lightning now and they will buy as many as Ford can make, so the absence of BEV Explorer/Aviator is really a zero sum game for Ford, one that is being worked  to its advantage thanks to limited battery supply.

GE2 delay is also an opportunity to further align with suppliers and equipment going into TE1, so yeah, I’m thinking Explorer & Aviator will join Expedition & Navigator down one line while F150 is built down the other…….

the next two years are all about Ford getting its ducks in a row, making as many Lightning as it can, Mach E gets a nice ramp up whether sales follow that remains to be seen….

Explorer/Aviator will likely be GE2 to align itself with the EV Mustang. 

The only thing that make me hesitant about an EV is the lack of high end charging stations around the nation. Tesla has some good ones, but others can take 30-45 minutes to charge and if you are traveling across country you are looking at adding 4 hours or so to your trip time just charging along the way. Some stations are expensive enough it is cheaper to use gas. Add on the home charging station you would need if you dont want it to take forever on your house elec.

1 hour ago, Footballfan said:

Explorer/Aviator will likely be GE2 to align itself with the EV Mustang. 

They are the first two on GE2 but it could be that they become a little more aligned with TE1. MME will stay on GE for the next few years, an EV Mustang coupe is ages off.

Edited by jpd80

27 minutes ago, RGIll said:

The only thing that make me hesitant about an EV is the lack of high end charging stations around the nation. Tesla has some good ones, but others can take 30-45 minutes to charge and if you are traveling across country you are looking at adding 4 hours or so to your trip time just charging along the way. Some stations are expensive enough it is cheaper to use gas. Add on the home charging station you would need if you dont want it to take forever on your house elec.

The majority of early adopters intend to be home based charging with only occasional public charging, that’s probably the reality for the rest of this decade

• Like 1

Ford announced a new program today for its BEV and PHEV customers in California called Zero-Carbon Electric Vehicle Home Charging Initiative. Charging with Purpose: Ford Launches Zero-Carbon Electric Vehicle Home Charging Initiative in California | Ford Media Center

Ford is choosing to participate in the California Air Resource Board (CARB) Low Carbon Fuel Standard (LCFS) to offer customers a new way to help reduce greenhouse gas emissions that contribute to climate change by matching the use of electricity used to charge plug-in electric vehicles at home with 100 percent local renewable energy.

Here’s how the program works:
  1. Owners of eligible plug-in electric vehicles opt into the program through the FordPass app
  2. Once enrolled, the FordPass app automatically tracks the amount of electricity used while charging at home
  3. Ford generates, or buys, an equivalent amount of California-sourced Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs), an EPA-recognized program that records the generation and usage of green energy
  4. Ford sends evidence of the matching amounts to CARB, ensuring that all home plug-in charging activity is matched with zero-carbon electricity

23 hours ago, jpd80 said:

The majority of early adopters intend to be home based charging with only occasional public charging, that’s probably the reality for the rest of this decade

Agree.  They probably are going to use them mostly for commuting in which case they will not reach the 300 mile or so limit during use. Odd, why is it all the Teslas I see are white. It is like the most popular color. 

1 hour ago, RGIll said:

Odd, why is it all the Teslas I see are white. It is like the most popular color. 

Pearl white multi-coat is the only exterior paint color for which Tesla doesn't charge extra. All other paint colors have a $1,500 or $2,500 surcharge. 

By comparison, on Mustang Mach-E Ford offers multiple exterior paint colors at no extra charge, including Grabber Blue which my wife and I chose for our First Edition. Rapid Red Metallic is $495 extra and Cyber Orange Metallic and Star White Metallic are $795 extra.

1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

Ford announced a new program today for its BEV and PHEV customers in California called Zero-Carbon Electric Vehicle Home Charging Initiative. Charging with Purpose: Ford Launches Zero-Carbon Electric Vehicle Home Charging Initiative in California | Ford Media Center

Haha.

So another money grab by CA?  "Send us money and we'll give you a certificate that says you're using clean energy"

33 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Pearl white multi-coat is the only exterior paint color for which Tesla doesn't charge extra. All other paint colors have a $1,500 or $2,500 surcharge. 

By comparison, on Mustang Mach-E Ford offers multiple exterior paint colors at no extra charge, including Grabber Blue which my wife and I chose for our First Edition. Rapid Red Metallic is $495 extra and Cyber Orange Metallic and Star White Metallic are $795 extra.

Ahhh, that makes total sense now. I. Paid extra for the Alto Blue I am getting on my Bronco Sport

• Like 1