Electric Vehicle Discussion Thread - Ford Related

rperez817

3 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Looks like we are getting a Bronco EV in 2029 along with the Ranger at BOC

• Current Bronco (U725) end of production: October 2029
  • Next gen Bronco (U765) start of production: November 2029 (ending 2036)
  • Electric Bronco EV / BEV (U800) start of production: November 2029 (ending 2036)
  • 7th gen Bronco will remain on the T6 platform and continue being built at Michigan Assembly Plant
  • Electric Bronco BEV will be built on TE1 platform (shared with Ranger BEV) and built at Blue Oval City in Tennessee

7thgen-2030-bronco-bronco-ev.thumb.jpg.24d68509af56ed5e1207a2b20349df63.jpg

9 year production cycle for the Bronco!?!? ? That’s wild. 

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Contracts are 4 year agreements. Those launch targets are likely aiming to keep some bargaining chips on the table going into the next negotiating period in 2027. 

Most likely, will be interest in how Ford paints its plans for EV roll out and how it affects plant staffing.

11 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Yeah, that's quite long.

BUT if you think about it, currently they have such a backlog of orders, that we're already technically 3 model years in ('21, 22, 23), and they still haven't filled initial orders.

I'd imagine there'll be some sort of slight refresh in the next 3 years to keep interest.

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

Yeah, that's quite long.

BUT if you think about it, currently they have such a backlog of orders, that we're already technically 3 model years in ('21, 22, 23), and they still haven't filled initial orders.

I'd imagine there'll be some sort of slight refresh in the next 3 years to keep interest.

The other way to look at it is it seems like Ford is adding different models/trims to the Bronco that keep interest in it.

I'd guess we'll see some sort of refresh in 2025 with maybe a Hybrid added in from the Ranger. 

5 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

The other way to look at it is it seems like Ford is adding different models/trims to the Bronco that keep interest in it.

I'd guess we'll see some sort of refresh in 2025 with maybe a Hybrid added in from the Ranger. 

Yeah, I guess that's true too.  Wrangler has longer product cycles as well.

I know I'd have been interested in a hybrid Bronco had it been offered.

22 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Not really for a platform that does good MCEs.

The first generation T6 ran from 2011, it’s all about getting the product envelope right and evolutionary path correct. With Gen 2 T6,  Ford knows what’s needed with regional ICEs and the Electric Ranger/Bronco dovetail with that.

Edited by jpd80

2 hours ago, bzcat said:

2030 model year for TE1 Ranger and Bronco... I guess it is a good thing Toyota is so far behind on EV that it won't have a Hilux/Tacoma EV for even longer. 

I did hear something about grandfathering systems from current Lightning but I have a feeling it died due to massive changes. Ford needs every scrap of engineering development  resources, batteries and motors,  drives for every other BEV coming

2.3 EB hybrid was supposed to be revealed in NG Mustang, then Bronco and possibly Ranger/Everest but now everything seems changed…

Aussie orders for V6 diesel Ranger

/Everest and Ranger Raptor are now beyond April ‘23, another example of strong orders with new Platinum trim getting strong ordering 

Edited by jpd80

8 hours ago, akirby said:

Read the chart

Thanks I saw that, and find it hard to believe Ford isn't going to have a BEV Ranger before 2029! Was hoping for some "insider" info from fuzzymoomoo. But as mentioned in his post, nothing more at this point.

Edited by rperez817
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, twintornados said:

Been there, done that....lol

image.png.fcd274393936806dc03861e5b4234151.png

While it's very unfortunate that Ford didn't do further development of the original Ranger EV after 2002, there's still a owner community as of today for the truck. The owner group is named REVolt. Why REVolt? (fordrangerev.com)

I hope Ford gets a new BEV Ranger ready well before 2029. If not, maybe in that timeframe Lightning eMotors could apply its expertise to convert ICE Ranger to BEV just as already does with Ford Transit.

Edited by rperez817

On 12/9/2022 at 11:47 AM, bzcat said:

I'm sure it is a 4 door SUV coupe type vehicle.

More interesting news here is the timing... July 2026 which is about 1.5 years later than previous timeline. The 2nd gen Mach E was supposed to be a 2026 model but now it is 2027. I guess the Explorer EV delays have a knock-on effect on Mach E too. 

Which would be extremely heartbreaking, but you're probably right. The only reason I think an actually ev sports car mustang is possible is due to those rumors of a more traditional ev coupe that were circulating awhile ago. That and I just don't see why they would bother with doing a coupe SUV when the existing mach-e has already slotted into that segment. It would be like saying here's a coupe SUV, and our even more coupy SUV. 

Edited by DeluxeStang
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, DeluxeStang said:

The only reason I think an actually ev sports car mustang is possible is due to those rumors of a more traditional ev coupe that were circulating awhile ago. That and I just don't see why they would both doing about coupe SUV when the existing mach-e is already slotting into that segment. It would be like saying here's a coupe SUV, and our even more coupy SUV. 

I agree with you DeluxeStang. As much my wife and I love our Mustang Mach-E, we don't think a Mustang product lineup or sub-brand is complete without a BEV Mustang that has a traditional coupe form factor.

Jim Farley said that Mustang is one of Ford's "icons", so I'm crossing my fingers that a BEV Mustang Coupe (not SUV coupe) will arrive mid-decade.

On 12/10/2022 at 5:38 PM, bzcat said:

I guess it is a good thing Toyota is so far behind on EV that it won't have a Hilux/Tacoma EV for even longer. 

On top of that, Toyota is apparently going the hydrogen fuel cell (aka "fool cell") route for Hilux. Ford certainly has an opportunity to beat Toyota in the midsize pickup market with a BEV Ranger. Hopefully it can do that sooner rather than later, meaning well before 2029. Toyota secures funding to develop hydrogen fuel cell version of Hilux (cnbc.com)

On 12/11/2022 at 5:36 PM, rperez817 said:

Jim Farley said that Mustang is one of Ford's "icons", so I'm crossing my fingers that a BEV Mustang Coupe (not SUV coupe) will arrive mid-decade.

The Auto Forecast spreadsheet says the BEV Mustang coupe will arrive in 2029. The SUV coupe arrives 2026.

• Thanks 1

On 12/12/2022 at 6:09 AM, rperez817 said:

On top of that, Toyota is apparently going the hydrogen fuel cell (aka "fool cell") route for Hilux. Ford certainly has an opportunity to beat Toyota in the midsize pickup market with a BEV Ranger. Hopefully it can do that sooner rather than later, meaning well before 2029. Toyota secures funding to develop hydrogen fuel cell version of Hilux (cnbc.com)

I mean, you say that like it's a bad thing. Fuel cells have a ton of potential. The infrastructure sucks, and they could be more energy efficient. But those same criticisms could be applied to evs. I don't see an issue with giving consumers multiple options when it comes to transitioning to zero emissions transportation, the smartest approach is to give consumers multiple options rather than forcing evs on everyone.

9 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

I mean, you say that like it's a bad thing. Fuel cells have a ton of potential. 

In another thread, bzcat explained the fundamental technical limitation of hydrogen fuel cells.

We shouldn't miss the forest for the tree... the reason we are trying to decarbonize our transportation system is because all the carbon. Hydrogen production doesn't reduce carbon emission in a significant way because the inherent inefficiency - in fact, given the same amount of energy requirement, hydrogen is one of the least efficient storage medium. Let me try an analogy... let say you need pay $5 for a cup of coffee at Starbucks and you have a $100 bill. Instead of using that $100 bill to pay for $5 cup of coffee, you shred the $100 bill so you can sell the waste paper to recycler for $5 and use that $5 to pay for coffee.  That's what producing hydrogen from another energy source is like in concept.

As I have mentioned before many times on this forum, hydrogen makes a lot of sense in some settings. For localized or closed loop network that require zero emission, hydrogen is a plausible alternative. You'll need to be located close to the source of hydrogen production and/or storage to minimize the transportation costs. But no matter how you make hydrogen, it is always more efficient to use the raw source as the fuel. Burning the natural gas uses less carbon than converting it hydrogen. Using nuclear power to charge BEV is more efficient than using that power to make hydrogen. The basic physics cannot be changed.

On 12/12/2022 at 8:09 AM, rperez817 said:

Yesterday, Toyota revealed a BEV Hilux Revo concept vehicle in Thailand. The company didn't reveal a timeframe for the production version, so Ford still has an opportunity to beat Toyota by bringing a production BEV Ranger to market by mid-decade. Toyota Hilux Revo BEV Concept Likely Previews Electric Pickup (insideevs.com)

toyota-hilux-revo-bev-concept.webp

2 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Yesterday, Toyota revealed a BEV Hilux Revo concept vehicle in Thailand. The company didn't reveal a timeframe for the production version, so Ford still has an opportunity to beat Toyota by bringing a production BEV Ranger to market by mid-decade. Toyota Hilux Revo BEV Concept Likely Previews Electric Pickup (insideevs.com)

toyota-hilux-revo-bev-concept.webp

That thing is hideous

• Like 2

On 12/11/2022 at 4:19 AM, rperez817 said:

Any info about an all-electric Ford Ranger (if you're allowed to share)?

VW might have spilt the beans by saying that there will be an EV Amorok by 2026,

the Ranger based Amorok is about to go on sale in ROW early next year.

Either VW is  doing their own EV or they’ve just said something that reveals Ford’s plans….

sorry, edited for auto text typo

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1