Ford moves to end chip shortage

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/11/18/ford-partners-with-globalfoundries-to-increase-chip-supplies.html

The Detroit automaker and New York-based chip supplier on Thursday announced the signing of a nonbinding agreement for a strategic partnership that aims to increase the supply of chips to Ford from GlobalFoundries.

Officials said the tie-up could eventually result in new chip designs specifically for Ford and an increase in the domestic production and supply of chips for the overall automotive industry.

• Like 3

Here's the press release from Ford. GlobalFoundries, Ford to Address Auto Chip Supply and Meet Growing Demand | Ford Media Center

Commentary from Ford CEO and GF CEO.

“It’s critical that we create new ways of working with suppliers to give Ford – and America – greater independence in delivering the technologies and features our customers will most value in the future,” said Jim Farley, Ford president and CEO. “This agreement is just the beginning, and a key part of our plan to vertically integrate key technologies and capabilities that will differentiate Ford far into the future.”

“GF is committed to building innovative alliances with the world’s leading companies to enable the features in products that are pervasive throughout people’s lives,” said Tom Caulfield, GF CEO. “Our agreement with Ford is a key step forward in strengthening our cooperation and partnership with automakers to spur innovation, bring new features to market faster, and ensure long-term, supply-demand balance.”

• Like 1

On 11/18/2021 at 8:36 AM, twintornados said:

The Detroit automaker and New York-based chip supplier on Thursday announced the signing of a nonbinding agreement for a strategic partnership that aims to increase the supply of chips to Ford from GlobalFoundries.

Officials said the tie-up could eventually result in new chip designs specifically for Ford and an increase in the domestic production and supply of chips for the overall automotive industry.

I'll wait until there's a binding agreement before I applaud.

Don't hold your breathe. Deals like this take a while 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

It'll be interesting to see the lasting effects of the shortage. Auto manufacturers are using ancient chips, and I guess they're hesitant to sink of bunch of money into R&D for more modern chips - but I have to imagine all of this could have been avoided if the technology matched the times. I remember reading an article about this, and a chip manufacturer was basically saying that the chips most modern cars use are much much larger than say a 5nm chip...basically he can cut much more on a single die than he could for the chips these cars need. Seems like OEMs are going for the strategic partnership route than to adapt to 2021 tech, we'll see how that works when a chip vendor holds all the cards....$$.

57 minutes ago, ryant601 said:

It'll be interesting to see the lasting effects of the shortage. Auto manufacturers are using ancient chips, and I guess they're hesitant to sink of bunch of money into R&D for more modern chips - but I have to imagine all of this could have been avoided if the technology matched the times. I remember reading an article about this, and a chip manufacturer was basically saying that the chips most modern cars use are much much larger than say a 5nm chip...basically he can cut much more on a single die than he could for the chips these cars need. Seems like OEMs are going for the strategic partnership route than to adapt to 2021 tech, we'll see how that works when a chip vendor holds all the cards....$$.

Why reinvent the wheel when tried and true works? Lots of military applications are using "old style" tech and not cutting edge IC design like you see on consumer electronics or PCs. How complex does a chip need to be to turn on and off a heated steering wheel or seats? Its basic stuff...basic is good because it doesn't fail as easy. 

11 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Why reinvent the wheel when tried and true works? Lots of military applications are using "old style" tech and not cutting edge IC design like you see on consumer electronics or PCs. How complex does a chip need to be to turn on and off a heated steering wheel or seats? Its basic stuff...basic is good because it doesn't fail as easy. 

You reinvent the wheel when the wheel stops spinning. I agree a heated steering wheel chip doesn't need to be on the razor's edge, but a chip manufacturer makes way more money on a modern chip than he would on an older one - at a very simple level, the same size die he could cut many more modern chips than he could older ones . Part of the reason this shortage even happened (outside of the fires and whatnot), is the factories prioritize tooling for higher margin chips...aka the ones in consumer electronics. There's a massive market for auto chips obviously, it seems as though OEMs are not inclined to dump money into R&D for new tech - so the exclusive supplier relationship seems to be the route they're going. I just worry about who holds all the cards there. 

20 minutes ago, ryant601 said:

You reinvent the wheel when the wheel stops spinning. I agree a heated steering wheel chip doesn't need to be on the razor's edge, but a chip manufacturer makes way more money on a modern chip than he would on an older one - at a very simple level, the same size die he could cut many more modern chips than he could older ones . Part of the reason this shortage even happened (outside of the fires and whatnot), is the factories prioritize tooling for higher margin chips...aka the ones in consumer electronics. There's a massive market for auto chips obviously, it seems as though OEMs are not inclined to dump money into R&D for new tech - so the exclusive supplier relationship seems to be the route they're going. I just worry about who holds all the cards there. 

Auto manufactures pulled there "chips" off the table because they expected less sales during covid, but the opposite happened. 

I'm guessing the booking of production for chips is a 6 month to 12 month process to get "on the board"

The problem is they aren't complex at all and I'm guessing that to put them on a more modern process wouldn't be cost effective for the manufacture either. 

• 2 weeks later...

China apparently did the opposite and stockpiled chips during the pandemic when they were cheap. Good move on their part. The other thing that US manufacturers have working against them is that their chips are old in technology and they have not moved forward, similar to Tesla, etc. Chip companies do not want to make the old style chips anymore because they are not up to date or make $$. At some point we will have to see manufactuers change and come forward in. Time with chips.

So hypothetically speaking, if a special ordered vehicle goes into production after say several months and several delays due to some unknown reasons, but the suspicion is the chip shortage, would or could said vehicle be delayed during its build time due to chips? My reasoning is that if it was delayed for chips initially would Ford start the build process on it without first ensuring there is enough inventory of chips to complete the build on the said vehicle? Asking for a friend...Thanks. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bhidalgo63 said:

So hypothetically speaking, if a special ordered vehicle goes into production after say several months and several delays due to some unknown reasons, but the suspicion is the chip shortage, would or could said vehicle be delayed during its build time due to chips? My reasoning is that if it was delayed for chips initially would Ford start the build process on it without first ensuring there is enough inventory of chips to complete the build on the said vehicle? Asking for a friend...Thanks. 

Chips aren't the only thing in short supply, but they seem to be the biggest/most widespread shortage.