F-150 Lightning most desirable BEV Pickup

From Automotive News:

DETROIT — Score one for the legacy automakers.

Ford Motor Co.'s upcoming F-150 Lightning and the electric Chevrolet Silverado expected in 2023 topped the Tesla Cybertruck and Rivian R1T in an Autolist survey on which electric pickups consumers are most interested in buying.  Of those surveyed, 38 percent said they prefer the Lightning, 26 percent said they want General Motors' Silverado EV, 20 percent prefer the Cybertruck, and 11 percent want the GMC Hummer EV. Five percent said they want the R1T, which is the only one of the five that's already on sale.

https://www.autonews.com/retail/ford-f-150-lightning-most-desirable-electric-pickup-survey-finds

• Like 1

I'm curious WHO they surveyed?  Was it truck buyers?  Random buyers?

These results aren't surprising if they surveyed truck buyers with 64% being the Ford/Chevy.

I feel the results would be more skewed in favor of the Tesla if it were "random car buyer" because of Tesla's brand image.

I also think Rivian isn't well known in the general public, so therefore has the least interest.

9 hours ago, rmc523 said:

I'm curious WHO they surveyed?  Was it truck buyers?  Random buyers?

These results aren't surprising if they surveyed truck buyers with 64% being the Ford/Chevy.

I feel the results would be more skewed in favor of the Tesla if it were "random car buyer" because of Tesla's brand image.

I also think Rivian isn't well known in the general public, so therefore has the least interest.

It sounds right to me.  Pickup buyers are different than other buyers whether it’s a BEV or ICE.  Hummer and cybertruck are toys.  Rivian is in between.  F150 and Silvererra are great pickups with a BEV powertrain so you’re not sacrificing any of the great truck attributes.

I think this is where the legacy automakers have a big advantage over Tesla and the startups when it comes to mass market appeal.

• Like 4

Details on Autolist BEV pickup truck survey. Survey: Ford’s Electric F-150 Pickup Tops Rivals from Tesla, Rivian, GM (autolist.com)

Survey sample details.

Autolist surveyed just over 1,100 current car shoppers in late October and early November to gauge their interest in and awareness of the all-electric pickup truck segment.

Results by demographic.

Slide2.jpg

Slide3.jpg

Slide5.jpg

2 hours ago, akirby said:

It sounds right to me.  Pickup buyers are different than other buyers whether it’s a BEV or ICE.  Hummer and cybertruck are toys.  Rivian is in between.  F150 and Silvererra are great pickups with a BEV powertrain so you’re not sacrificing any of the great truck attributes.

I think this is where the legacy automakers have a big advantage over Tesla and the startups when it comes to mass market appeal.

Yup, that's what I'm getting at.

If you asked random person, you may get "OMGGGG Teslaaaaaaaa" as an answer, whereas a truck buyer that wants a true truck would give the answers we saw.

• Like 3

On 11/20/2021 at 12:52 PM, rmc523 said:

If you asked random person, you may get "OMGGGG Teslaaaaaaaa" as an answer, whereas a truck buyer that wants a true truck would give the answers we saw.

The 2021 Autolist survey has Ford 8 percentage points ahead of Tesla among randomly selected people who do not own a pickup truck, and 2 percentage points ahead of Tesla among randomly selected people who have owned or currently owned a BEV.

Only categories of survey respondents that preferred Tesla over Ford as the BEV pickup truck they are most likely to buy are the 2 youngest age groups, 18-23 and 24-28.

On 11/20/2021 at 10:08 AM, akirby said:

I believe the Rivian pickup is the size of a Ranger and doesn't have near the capability of a Lightning. And the Lightning frunk seems to be a big hit along with the built in generator. I do like the space behind the rear seats in the Rivian, but wonder how it affects capability. Overall,  no contest between the two. Hard to beat Ford in the pickup segment....ICE, hybrid, or BEV.