letting cruise control manage speed

road turtle

I extremely satisfied with how the computer manages speed up and down hills pulling a 5th wheel.  I have a minor nit to pick on uphill, I'd prefer it downshifts sooner.  It waits until 4-5 mph low before it gets serious about increase power and downshift.  Downhill, it's awesome. 

Edited by road turtle

On 11/22/2021 at 3:58 PM, fordmantpw said:

I would prefer it use the exhaust brake more and the brakes less when going down hills.  Other than that, I love it (I have the adaptive cruise).

Truck will first down shift, if that doesn't do it, then it kicks in exhaust brake, and if that doesn't slow it down, it will then it will activate the brakes.

On 11/23/2021 at 7:42 PM, road turtle said:

Truck will first down shift, if that doesn't do it, then it kicks in exhaust brake, and if that doesn't slow it down, it will then it will activate the brakes.

Weird, that's not how my '17 works as it activates the brakes first.  Hopefully what you say is the way my new '22 will work.

8 hours ago, eds said:

What is the max size/weight 5th wheel or Goose neck can Adaptive cruise control handle?

Whatever the truck can handle, the AC can handle.

8 hours ago, eds said:

What is the max size/weight 5th wheel or Goose neck can Adaptive cruise control handle?

I'll suggest it is your personal risk tolerance, as no way I am using it descending an 11% grade with 16,500 lb pushing the truck downhill. I manually set up the truck for the descent at the top of the hill and will use the truck/trailer brakes, as necessary during the descent.