Dodge Bombshell: Charger, Challenger Gone By 2024, EV Arrives Soon

Harley Lover

I hate to quote things from this source, but the reporter (Alisa Priddle) is legit, so:

Big News In A Nutshell:

Edited by Harley Lover

1 hour ago, bzcat said:

EV is perfect solution to the kind of muscle car that Dodge wants to keep selling - goes fast as hell in a straight line and can't do much else when the road turns. 

?

As a bonus, a BEV hi-po production car from Dodge would not only be faster than anything it offers now, but it can be designed to be much more agile too.

3 hours ago, bzcat said:

EV is perfect solution to the kind of muscle car that Dodge wants to keep selling - goes fast as hell in a straight line and can't do much else when the road turns. 

The demographic buying Dodge muscle cars grew up watching The Dukes of Hazzard and want nothing to do with EV's. The demographic enthusiastic about EV's (upper and upper middle class with advanced degrees on the coasts) want nothing to do with Dodge. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, akirby said:

Which means they’ll be selling a few thousand while everyone else is selling a few hundred thousand,

I take it you drive an SUV or a truck. Did you (emphasis on YOU) really want an SUV / truck? Or did the market force you into it? Asking for a friend.

1 hour ago, coupe3w said:

I take it you drive an SUV or a truck. Did you (emphasis on YOU) really want an SUV / truck? Or did the market force you into it? Asking for a friend.

I gladly traded a 2013 Fusion for my F150.  I’ve owned civics, accords, integra, focus, fusions and a Lincoln LS in addition to SUVs and crossovers.

This isn’t about cars it’s about Dodge muscle cars.

2 hours ago, ehaase said:

The demographic buying Dodge muscle cars grew up watching The Dukes of Hazzard and want nothing to do with EV's. The demographic enthusiastic about EV's (upper and upper middle class with advanced degrees on the coasts) want nothing to do with Dodge. 

"Dodge muscle car" is not mutually exclusive with "BEV". If Stellantis successfully designs BEV that keeps the Dodge nameplate's "brotherhood of muscle" theme alive, they'll attract both muscle car and BEV enthusiasts to the brand. As mentioned earlier, all electric powertrains can provide a significant performance improvement over current Dodge vehicles, both straight line acceleration and agility in the twisties. That's a win all around for the Dodge brand.

2 hours ago, ehaase said:

You are just showing your bias. Dodge sells plenty of cars to people who don't care about Dukes of Hazzard, and plenty of people living away from the coast want EVs. You just refuse to believe people want EV despite the data saying so. 

• Like 1

If you two think people buying V8 chargers and challengers want a BEV version you’re dreaming.  They buy them for the V8 power and sound which a BEV can’t match.

Just because somebody says that a certain demographic or market segment can’t or won’t do BEVs doesn’t mean that nobody wants them or that those things won’t change over time.

Here is a perfect example.  Find 1000 apartment dwellers and try to sell them a BEV for the same price as their current vehicle and see how many take the offer after explaining that they have to find and use and wait on public chargers because they can’t charge at home.  Not happening for 90%+ of them.   It’s just too inconvenient.  Same for people in condos and older homes that can’t support home charging.

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, akirby said:

If you two think people buying V8 chargers and challengers want a BEV version you’re dreaming.  They buy them for the V8 power and sound which a BEV can’t match.

Stellantis' strategy for Dodge Fratzog BEV muscle cars is to make them far superior to the current V8 powered Dodges in terms of power, something that's very easy to do with electric powertrains. As for the sound aspect, synthesized V8 sound (or any other muscle car oriented sound) can be incorporated into these vehicles' design easily as well.

Performance is what Dodge V8 muscle car buyers want, and there's no reason for them not to consider a future Dodge Fratzog product. Stellantis may even use clever marketing such as a BEV focused variation of its current 25//8 dream team campaign to get the word out about how much better Fratzog BEV will be compared to V8 powered Dodge muscle cars. 

29 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Stellantis' strategy for Dodge Fratzog BEV muscle cars is to make them far superior to the current V8 powered Dodges in terms of power, something that's very easy to do with electric powertrains. As for the sound aspect, synthesized V8 sound (or any other muscle car oriented sound) can be incorporated into these vehicles' design easily as well.

Performance is what Dodge V8 muscle car buyers want, and there's no reason for them not to consider a future Dodge Fratzog product. Stellantis may even use clever marketing such as a BEV focused variation of its current 25//8 dream team campaign to get the word out about how much better Fratzog BEV will be compared to V8 powered Dodge muscle cars. 

Your making alot of assumptions about things and people wanting what you want. 

There are lots of people who bitch about piped in/fake sound in ICE power products, I'm sure that will go over well with some people in a BEV. 

11 hours ago, akirby said:

Just because somebody says that a certain demographic or market segment can’t or won’t do BEVs doesn’t mean that nobody wants them or that those things won’t change over time.

Here is a perfect example.  Find 1000 apartment dwellers and try to sell them a BEV for the same price as their current vehicle and see how many take the offer after explaining that they have to find and use and wait on public chargers because they can’t charge at home.  Not happening for 90%+ of them.   It’s just too inconvenient.  Same for people in condos and older homes that can’t support home charging.

That's me. And that's why, sadly, I'll be taking a break from Ford products when my Lincoln Nautilus lease is up early next year. By then, the Nautilus will be in its last year or two of production and even with the two nice mid-cycle refreshes it is getting long in the tooth. When FMC canceled the in-the-works redesign of the Nautilus (and Edge) a couple of years back they made a commitment to fill that specific mid-sized two-row luxury crossover white space with an EV product that will likely go into production at about the same time that the last Nautilus gets built. 

But for me, living in a townhouse? Won't work. The state where I live recently passed a new "right to charge" law that says anyone in a townhouse or condo has the right to install a charger in their designated parking space, no matter the HOA/AECC restrictions. But the owner has that obligation. You have to pay for it and have it installed -- for me it wouldn't be cheap or easy, as I would have to bust a line through my basement wall, dig a conduit through my front yard and into the parking lot, and then put up the charging pole at my parking space like you find in supermarket parking lots) and then have to remove it when you leave if the new owner doesn't want it (though I suspect that new owners increasingly will see an EV charging station as a plus not a minus).

So I ended up putting in a factory order for a Mercedes GLE 450, which was redesigned in 2020 and has a mild hybrid inline 6. It is similar in size and functionality, though a little more expensive, than my Lincoln. It is also built in North America, as opposed to the other luxury crossover I was looking at, the Genesis GV80. I see this as my transition vehicle to the brave new EV world, and therefore might keep it a little longer than most. Six years down the line (and maybe earlier, depending) I'll almost certainly be in a house where in-garage charging will be easy to set up if it isn't set up already, battery technology should be well into its second generation (probably solid state) technology, and hopefully nation-wide charging infrastructure will be massively improved. I look forward to then coming back to whatever EV Lincoln is offering in the crossover size/capability that I'm looking for.

Edited by Gurgeh
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Your making alot of assumptions about things and people wanting what you want. 

No sir. Stellantis' strategy with Fratzog is based on what they know Dodge muscle car buyers (both current and prospective) want and what they want the Dodge brand to represent. Dodge brand CEO Tim Kuniskis mentioned this a few times this year as the parent company implements electrification of its global vehicle lineup.

1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

No sir. Stellantis' strategy with Fratzog is based on what they know Dodge muscle car buyers (both current and prospective) want and what they want the Dodge brand to represent. Dodge brand CEO Tim Kuniskis mentioned this a few times this year as the parent company implements electrification of its global vehicle lineup.

Go survey current V8 owners and I guarantee most will disagree.  Same for the Hemi truck owners.  

Will they get new buyers?  Sure, but they won’t keep all of the current ones.

27 minutes ago, akirby said:

Go survey current V8 owners and I guarantee most will disagree.  Same for the Hemi truck owners.  

Will they get new buyers?  Sure, but they won’t keep all of the current ones.

Owners of current Dodge V8 powered muscle cars who disagree probably never experienced a BEV. Most of them will quickly change their minds once they experience the superior performance that a BEV muscle car can provide. 

Stellantis' marketing plan for Fratzog may have programs that involve getting "butts into seats" of prototype or pre-production BEV muscle cars, or brand ambassadors that show off Fratzog's advantages compared to Dodge V8 cars and compared to BEV from competitors.