Dodge Bombshell: Charger, Challenger Gone By 2024, EV Arrives Soon

Harley Lover

I think of the character Syndrome from the Incredibles film when he wanted to give everybody super powers... "Because when everyone is super, no one is" This is why I think Dodge will fail. Dodge makes its way by being a super fast car, but every BEV can easily do this, and a BEV Dodge will never stand out by just being as fast as every other car.

• Like 2

Don't be so sure.  Just because you can make electric vehicles fast, does not mean manufacturers are going to make them fast.  That's NOT the priority for most consumers.  Range is.

Does this look familiar?  It should because it is pretty much the same separation you'd see on ICE vehicles today.

Normal:

A Chevy Bolt runs 0-60 in 6.3 seconds

A Hyundai Ioniq runs 0-60 in 9.9 seconds

A Nissan Leaf runs 0-60 in 8.8 seconds

A Kia Niro Elec run 0-60 in 6.6 seconds 

Faster (Performance/premium orientated):

Jaguar iPace runs 0-60 in 4.5 seconds

BMW i8 runs 0-60 in 4.4 seconds

Mustang Mach-E GT runs 0-60 in 3.8 seconds

Fastest (Supercar):

Tesla Model S Plaid runs 0-60 in 1.98 seconds

Just because some amazing vehicles have come out that are electric doesn't mean that all electric cars are going to have that same kind of performance.  There isn't a market for a 4-motor Nissan Leaf that can do the quarter-mile in 7 seconds.

The biggest thing for Dodge will continue what they have been doing.  Offering performance at a price that people can afford. Will there be other cars that are as fast or quicker? Of course.  There is today.  But their mission would be to find the sweet spot of performance, brashness in style, and perhaps offer 2 door to entice the current muscle car owners.  We'll only know once they release a concept.  

But to think every BEV will be able to equal a Hellcat Demon is just not gonna happen. Performance for electric usually means more motors and bigger batteries, which means more price.  Look up most non-performance orientated electric cars today and they have a similar performance to their ICE counterparts. Why? Because range will always be more important than performance to the vast majority of the buying public... that's why every car today doesn't have a twin-turbo V6 even though they could.

Yes, there will always be a subset of performance vehicles, just as there is today, but that will always be the minority.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, atomcat68 said:

Dodge makes its way by being a super fast car

Not all Dodge vehicles are super fast, though the brand does a good job imbuing a muscle car theme throughout. A "Normal, Faster, Fastest" hierarchy (per what Anthony mentioned above) already exists within the current Dodge vehicle lineup, and that concept can easily be applied to upcoming BEV Dodges. Of course, each step in the performance hierarchy will be improved with BEV compared to existing ICE powertrains.

I think part of Tim Kuniskis' strategy is to introduce Dodge BEV in the "Fastest" category first, then follow up with entries in "Faster" and "Normal".

30 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Not all Dodge vehicles are super fast, though the brand does a good job imbuing a muscle car theme throughout. A "Normal, Faster, Fastest" hierarchy (per what Anthony mentioned above) already exists within the current Dodge vehicle lineup, and that concept can easily be applied to upcoming BEV Dodges. Of course, each step in the performance hierarchy will be improved with BEV compared to existing ICE powertrains.

I think part of Tim Kuniskis' strategy is to introduce Dodge BEV in the "Fastest" category first, then follow up with entries in "Faster" and "Normal".

You're still underestimating the number of dodge buyers ( cars and trucks and SUVs ) who only want a loud V8.  For them it’s not about how fast it is.  Now that’s a subset of buyers but I don’t see Dodge selling as many BEV vehicles as their ICE counterparts.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, akirby said:

You're still underestimating the number of dodge buyers ( cars and trucks and SUVs ) who only want a loud V8.  For them it’s not about how fast it is.  Now that’s a subset of buyers but I don’t see Dodge selling as many BEV vehicles as their ICE counterparts.

KBB/Cox Automotive as part of its Brand Watch study gathers information on "brand attributes that earn the attention and enthusiasm of new-car buyers". In the 2021 study, they found the top 3 attributes that convinced consumers to buy a new Dodge vehicle are as follows. Stellantis Media - Three in a Row: Dodge Brand Wins Kelley Blue Book Brand Image Award (stellantisnorthamerica.com)

1. Overall exterior styling
  2. Being "fun to drive"
  3. Overall power and acceleration

These attributes are perfectly compatible with BEV, in fact BEV can enhance all of them compared to current ICE powered Dodge vehicles. Regarding buyers that "only want a loud V8", active sound generation systems that emulate loud V8 sounds for BEV are available in the aftermarket already. Stellantis could design and engineer a system like this, but one that's tightly integrated into and optimized for a Dodge BEV's hardware and software. That would provide Dodge BEV customers with the superior performance of an electric powertrain, combined with features like an owner selectable library of muscle car sounds, "stealth mode", etc.

On 12/4/2021 at 10:18 AM, rperez817 said:

Regarding buyers that "only want a loud V8", active sound generation systems that emulate loud V8 sounds for BEV are available in the aftermarket already. Stellantis could design and engineer a system like this, but one that's tightly integrated into and optimized for a Dodge BEV's hardware and software. That would provide Dodge BEV customers with the superior performance of an electric powertrain, combined with features like an owner selectable library of muscle car sounds, "stealth mode", etc.

Not sure what your talking about, but people bitch about the fake noises piped into ICE interiors of performance cars. 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Motor Trend wrote an article a couple days ago with predictions and a picture rendering of a Dodge electric muscle car expected for 2025 model year. 2025 Dodge eMuscle Electric Muscle Car: Smoke All Four of ’Em (motortrend.com)

Highlights.

• Fratzog logo returns, too, and is expected to appear on all of Dodge's EVs moving forward. The eMuscle name has also been bandied about, although it's not yet clear if this will be the new muscle car's name or an overarching theme for Dodge.
  • AWD means the muscle car will pack at least two electric motors, and Stellantis has said the car's STLA Large platform will offer motors that make as much as 443 hp each, which means it could have nearly 900 horsepower
  • Dodge wants the car to be loud and has created a muscled-up sound that intensifies based on how you're driving.

2025-Dodge-eMuscle-Electric-Muscle-Car-R

• Like 1

On 7/16/2022 at 9:38 AM, rperez817 said:

Motor Trend wrote an article a couple days ago with predictions and a picture rendering of a Dodge electric muscle car expected for 2025 model year. 2025 Dodge eMuscle Electric Muscle Car: Smoke All Four of ’Em (motortrend.com)

Highlights.

• Fratzog logo returns, too, and is expected to appear on all of Dodge's EVs moving forward. The eMuscle name has also been bandied about, although it's not yet clear if this will be the new muscle car's name or an overarching theme for Dodge.
  • AWD means the muscle car will pack at least two electric motors, and Stellantis has said the car's STLA Large platform will offer motors that make as much as 443 hp each, which means it could have nearly 900 horsepower
  • Dodge wants the car to be loud and has created a muscled-up sound that intensifies based on how you're driving.

2025-Dodge-eMuscle-Electric-Muscle-Car-R

I would love if it looked as cool as that rendering, but it probably won't.

On 7/18/2022 at 2:09 PM, DeluxeStang said:

I would love if it looked as cool as that rendering, but it probably won't.

Based on that rendering... it will have no rear headroom (unlike the current Challenger), and what's with the hood scoop on an EV?

54 minutes ago, atomcat68 said:

Most hood scoops aren't functional on gas cars either. 

I never bothered checking the scoop of the Hellcat, turns out it's fake. Lol  Though I think there's a way to make it functional. 

Good thing the s550 Mustang doesn't have a fake hood scoop, just functional heat extractors. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Broncofan7 said:

Interesting report! Great approach by Dodge if true.

Unfortunately, I provided a bad article.  AGR's article refutes the Motor Trend rumor.  The next Charger and Challenger will be electric only, on the authority of a Dodge spokesman. It appears that the rumors of the plug in hybrid version of turbo four or the Hurricane turbo inline six going into the vehicles are also false.  

• Like 2

On 7/30/2022 at 11:47 AM, ehaase said:

Unfortunately, I provided a bad article.  AGR's article refutes the Motor Trend rumor.  The next Charger and Challenger will be electric only, on the authority of a Dodge spokesman. It appears that the rumors of the plug in hybrid version of turbo four or the Hurricane turbo inline six going into the vehicles are also false.  

I will say that spokespeople don't always have all the facts, but I do believe them on this issue.

1 hour ago, AGR said:

I will say that spokespeople don't always have all the facts, but I do believe them on this issue.

You're not the only one who believes the spokesman.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/don-t-get-your-hopes-up-next-gen-dodge-charger-challenger-are-electric-only/ar-AA108EKo?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=6c9b5e43148a435fabecdbd1e40f0f94#comments

Speaking about performance vs range when it comes to electric cars…I might be speaking out of my rear end, but to make a less powerful electric motor won’t improve range? The range comes from the energy density of its batteries, not how much power that electric motor makes-thus why we are seeing performance numbers in BEVs that you normally don’t see in an ICE. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

to make a less powerful electric motor won’t improve range? The range comes from the energy density of its batteries, not how much power that electric motor makes-thus why we are seeing performance numbers in BEVs that you normally don’t see in an ICE. 

That is correct silvrsvt. As an example, BMW just announced yesterday its "less powerful" i4, the eDrive35 version. It has a 281 hp motor and 66 kWh (net) battery, compared to 335 hp motor and 81.5 kWh (net) battery in the eDrive40 version. EPA estimated range for eDrive35 version is about 260 mi., for the more powerful eDrive40 version the figure is 301 mi.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, Dodge is likely to use a "normal, faster, fastest" hierarchy for performance ratings of its BEV muscle cars. A "normal, longer, longest" hierarchy for range will go with that. However, there is not necessarily a one-to-one correspondence between performance rating and range rating.

Edited by rperez817

On 8/2/2022 at 9:33 AM, rperez817 said:

That is correct silvrsvt. As an example, BMW just announced yesterday its "less powerful" i4, the eDrive35 version. It has a 281 hp motor and 66 kWh (net) battery, compared to 335 hp motor and 81.5 kWh (net) battery in the eDrive40 version. EPA estimated range for eDrive35 version is about 260 mi., for the more powerful eDrive40 version the figure is 301 mi.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, Dodge is likely to use a "normal, faster, fastest" hierarchy for performance ratings of its BEV muscle cars. A "normal, longer, longest" hierarchy for range will go with that. However, there is not necessarily a one-to-one correspondence between performance rating and range rating.

So the lower hp motor also gets a lower output battery. I think @silvrsvt's point and mine, is that the BMW 281hp version would go farther than the 335hp version using the same 81.5kWh battery, if it were offered in that configuration.

• Thanks 1