22 Explorer ST cup holder ambient lighting removed

Hi all, I was browsing some social 

media ST groups and there was someone who had a 22 ST that did not have the cup holder ambient lighting. Member stated he had the 401a package which includes the general ambient lighting.  

I chatted ford about this and they said the 22 ST should in fact have the cup holder ambient lighting. They couldn’t share me the internal documents that state this. 

can someone post or at least just clarify this?  Did this guy get a build error or was this feature truly removed?

thanks. 

I had a similar situation happen 10 years ago with a factory order of a 2011 Lincoln MKX that was missing the ambient lighting on the passenger side footwell but the rest of the vehicle had ambient lighting in the footwells, cupholders, door handles, etc.  What was interesting is that we ordered two identically optioned 2011 MKX's, just with different exterior colors (one Black and one Blue).  The vehicles arrived at the dealer a few weeks apart; the black one was fine and had ambient lighting everywhere on the vehicle it was supposed to but the blue one was missing the ambient lighting on the passenger footwell.

We took the blue MKX back to the dealer after noticing the missing ambient light and they reported it to Ford Canada as a misbuild.  The dealer's Ford rep initially told the dealer service manager it was not a misbuild and said there isn't supposed to be ambient lighting in the footwells at all.  The service manager then had to explain to the Ford rep that made no sense because why would the vehicle have ambient lights on the driver side and rear seat footwells but not the passenger side.  Also we ordered two MKX vehicles and the other one did have ambient lighting everywhere including the passenger footwell.  The service manager even took photos of both our MKX's to show the difference that one had the ambient light on the passenger side and one didn't to prove to Ford it was a misbuild.  Apparently Ford still wouldn't sign off on fixing the problem and finally had to send someone from Oakville Assembly plant to the dealership to inspect the vehicle.  After the guy from Oakville saw it in person and compared it to other MKX's the dealer had on the lot and showroom (which did have ambient lights on the passenger side) they confirmed it was a misbuild and that yes it should have the ambient light on the passenger footwell.  I found out from the service manager after it got fixed that it was definitely a factory assembly error because they inspected the part# on the original trim piece under the glove box that was missing the ambient light and it was a part# for a Ford Edge (which doesn't have ambient lights) instead of the MKX which does.

• 3 months later...
On 11/24/2021 at 1:16 PM, st8 said:

Hi all, I was browsing some social 

media ST groups and there was someone who had a 22 ST that did not have the cup holder ambient lighting. Member stated he had the 401a package which includes the general ambient lighting.  

I chatted ford about this and they said the 22 ST should in fact have the cup holder ambient lighting. They couldn’t share me the internal documents that state this. 

can someone post or at least just clarify this?  Did this guy get a build error or was this feature truly removed?

thanks. 

Has anyone confirmed this yet?