Leveling new F 250

gd1656

I did the readylift 2.5” kit with track bar relocation. Mine is a 6.7, and it sits a smidge higher in the front now. It looks terrific, I was so happy that I did it.

Photo doesn’t quite do it justice since the driveway is actually sloping down at the front of the pickup

7F3A69DD-2F8B-46CC-B4FE-452CDDE2876A.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, StevenD19 said:

How much rake do you guys have after installing the 2” RC? I'm torn on whether to go with 1.5” or 2”. 

7.3L 250 on order for myself. 

My 22 7.3 250 is 2.5 inches higher in the rear. I'd prefer a 1.5" front lift so I still have a small rake. when towing the boat it will be near level as it drops 3/4".  

• 2 months later...

Before creating a new thread, I decided to do some searching, found this one, and now I’m hoping you all can help me make a decision. 

I cannot decide if I want to go with a leveling kit or 4” lift. I do know I’m going with 37s on a 20X10 wheel with a -18 offset; I want a nice aggressive stance. It will not be used for any off-roading adventures, but I want to make sure the missus can comfortably climb into it. I’m 6’3 but she’s only 5’5. 

Photos would be great if anyone has either with the 37s

If you are leveling your truck look into 2 degree castor shims and have a good alignment guy realign your front end. raising the truck in front brings your castor more towards positive castor. positive castor will contribute to the death wobble. Use adjustable castor shims they arent hard to find for your truck. also keep your tire pressure no lower than 65 psi. I had lowered mine to 35psi and within 5 miles on the freeway my first big bump started the death wobble. after pissing my pants i pulled over. started off  again and soon after i hit a good bump and it shook so violent  my steering wheel had moved almost a quarter turn. The crossbar on the wheel was at 11 and 5. The only thing changed before the trip was the tire pressure.. pulled into a convience store and pumped back up to 65 psi and all was good for the next 280 miles. when i got home from my trip i installed the castor shims, replaced my steering box and tie rod ends. the wobble really tore stuff up. This is on my 2018 f250 leveled 2". 

5 hours ago, FirstFord22 said:

Before creating a new thread, I decided to do some searching, found this one, and now I’m hoping you all can help me make a decision. 

I cannot decide if I want to go with a leveling kit or 4” lift. I do know I’m going with 37s on a 20X10 wheel with a -18 offset; I want a nice aggressive stance. It will not be used for any off-roading adventures, but I want to make sure the missus can comfortably climb into it. I’m 6’3 but she’s only 5’5. 

Photos would be great if anyone has either with the 37s

Depends on what kind of coin you want to spend or if it matters. Sorry I can't help with personal pics, only know what I've seen online and in person. Both look great in my opinion, especially with 37s stuffing the wheel wells. I currently have a 4" lift sitting in my building waiting on my 250 to be built. I have a 3 year old and a new one on the way in June, along with the wife being short like yours so we'll see how it goes getting all of them in and out. Practical...? we shall see ?. I'll make it work though because it's always something I've wanted to do and never been able too. 

1 hour ago, Gharri30 said:

Depends on what kind of coin you want to spend or if it matters. Sorry I can't help with personal pics, only know what I've seen online and in person. Both look great in my opinion, especially with 37s stuffing the wheel wells. I currently have a 4" lift sitting in my building waiting on my 250 to be built. I have a 3 year old and a new one on the way in June, along with the wife being short like yours so we'll see how it goes getting all of them in and out. Practical...? we shall see ?. I'll make it work though because it's always something I've wanted to do and never been able too. 

Practicality isn’t in my vocabulary with this rig - well that’s not completely true, but I do want to be respectful to her and make it somewhat manageable for her to climb in. Like you, I’ve always wanted to do this, and now that the kids are older, it’s time!

Cost is a factor; don’t want to break the bank, but I’m also looking for quality. If I do the 4”, I was thinking the BDS. The problem I’m having is I haven’t been able to see either one up close. I’ve seen plenty of Real Deal Neal at Wild Willie’s videos, but it’s typically no substitute for seeing it in person. 

I guess it’s a good problem to have

On 11/30/2021 at 5:44 PM, Evanl said:

I did the readylift 2.5” kit with track bar relocation. Mine is a 6.7, and it sits a smidge higher in the front now. It looks terrific, I was so happy that I did it.

Photo doesn’t quite do it justice since the driveway is actually sloping down at the front of the pickup

How much higher in front than the rear would you say you are?   

3 hours ago, FirstFord22 said:

Practicality isn’t in my vocabulary with this rig - well that’s not completely true, but I do want to be respectful to her and make it somewhat manageable for her to climb in. Like you, I’ve always wanted to do this, and now that the kids are older, it’s time!

Cost is a factor; don’t want to break the bank, but I’m also looking for quality. If I do the 4”, I was thinking the BDS. The problem I’m having is I haven’t been able to see either one up close. I’ve seen plenty of Real Deal Neal at Wild Willie’s videos, but it’s typically no substitute for seeing it in person. 

I guess it’s a good problem to have

You're correct on there being no substitute for in person. Thats why I cant decide between two wheels I have picked out. Thankfully a local dealership had a 21 that was leveled on 37s and a coworker has a 20 with a 6" lift. There's a local shop that is a BDS dealer and I was already looking at them because of the ability to customize a bit. Ended up with a 4" radius arm lift from them. Upgraded a few things in kit so I walked away with a little dent in the pocket. Could have been worse though. If I was local to you and actually had mine I'd offer you a peak but ?

Edited by Gharri30

Because I’ve (we’ve ALL) had so much time to research before we take delivery, I finally pinned down my wheels: Moto Metal Shockwave in all black paired with either the Toyo Open Country MT or Nitto Ridge Grappler. I guess the tires will be a last minute decision; all terrain, or mud tires for a truly aggressive look. 

I test drove a ‘21 F250 worth a 6” lift, but that was just too damn tall for her to climb into. 

• Like 1

On 2/20/2022 at 3:20 PM, Dog breath said:

If you are leveling your truck look into 2 degree castor shims and have a good alignment guy realign your front end. raising the truck in front brings your castor more towards positive castor. positive castor will contribute to the death wobble. Use adjustable castor shims they arent hard to find for your truck. also keep your tire pressure no lower than 65 psi. I had lowered mine to 35psi and within 5 miles on the freeway my first big bump started the death wobble. after pissing my pants i pulled over. started off  again and soon after i hit a good bump and it shook so violent  my steering wheel had moved almost a quarter turn. The crossbar on the wheel was at 11 and 5. The only thing changed before the trip was the tire pressure.. pulled into a convience store and pumped back up to 65 psi and all was good for the next 280 miles. when i got home from my trip i installed the castor shims, replaced my steering box and tie rod ends. the wobble really tore stuff up. This is on my 2018 f250 leveled 2". 

I find it interesting that this isn't discussed more. It is my understanding that the death wobble is caused by too little caster. So why aren't people just adding caster shims on stock height trucks to resolve the issue? Better yet, why doesn't Ford put more castor into the trucks. The dealerships are replacing the steering stabilizer when there is a death wobble issue ILO adding caster. What is the real reason for the death wobble?

The tire pressure scenario is interesting and it made me realize something. My 2019 with 18" wheels and corresponding tires had a much bigger issue with the death wobble than my 2017 with 20" wheels and corresponding tires. I just assumed it was the model year that made the difference, but now my 2022 with 18" wheels has more of an issue than my 22 with 20" wheels.

This has been one of my biggest issues in deciding whether to level or lift my 22 to the height of the 17 to 19 trucks and level the front. I feel like I need to start with resolving the caster issue first and for some reason know one seems to discuss.

Edited by Robin Hood