November '21 Sales

Highlights.

• Retail share totaled an estimated 13.8 percent – 2.7 percentage points higher than November last year
  • Ford’s electrified vehicle sales in November grew at a rate more than three times faster than the overall electrified vehicle segment
  • In November, 29 percent of Ford retail sales came from previously placed customer orders (sold orders)
  • Lincoln took in a record number of new retail vehicle orders last month, totaling just over 2,600 orders
  • Maverick Hybrid recorded its first sales at the end of November and more hybrids are on their way to dealers
  • To date, Mustang Mach-E is the nation’s second best-selling full-electric SUV behind only Tesla’s Model Y. This year Ford has produced a total of nearly 60,000 Mustang Mach-Es for global sales.
  • Like 1

Ford sales of commercial vehicles increased 42 percent in November. Ford F-650/F-750 increased 23.4 percent over a year ago on sales of 1,376 heavy trucks, while F-150 and Ranger commercial vehicles both had big months with sales through commercial channels up over 300 and 100 percent, respectively.

F-Series is well on its way to its 45th consecutive year of truck leadership. F-Series sales totaled 663,508 trucks through November of this year and has now expanded its lead to 144,049 trucks for the year. Ford’s all-new Maverick truck has sold a total of 7,228 trucks since its October launch. Maverick is in tight supply and turning on dealer lots in just 5 days. Buyers are younger with over a quarter of them between the ages of 18 to 35 years old. Mavericks in transit at the end of November were up 106 percent over last month.

Ford had another record November SUV month. Bronco sales continue to grow with expanding inventory levels. Bronco sales totaled 8,287 SUVs, up 12.5 percent, with in-transit inventory up 23 percent over October. Sales of Bronco Sport were up 24.8 percent over October with sales of 11,486 sales – once again outselling Jeep’s Cherokee and Compass combined in November. Bronco Sport inventory continues to turn very quickly on dealer lots in just 10 days.

Combined Mustang and Mustang Mach-E sold 6,797 vehicles – up 65 percent. Mustang Mach-E sales continue to expand – up 8.4 percent compared to October. Sales totaled 3,088 for the month, with 24,791 vehicles sold this year. To date, Mustang Mach-E is the nation’s second best-selling full-electric SUV behind only Tesla’s Model Y. This year Ford has produced a total of nearly 60,000 Mustang Mach-Es for global sales.
Sales of Lincoln’s new Nautilus increased 24.9 over a year ago. Year-to-date, sales of the new Nautilus are up 14.6 percent. While ground stock remains tight, Lincoln took in a record number of new retail vehicle orders last month, totaling just over 2,600 orders.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, akirby said:

.....Sales of Bronco Sport were up 24.8 percent over October with sales of 11,486 sales – once again outselling Jeep’s Cherokee and Compass combined in November. Bronco Sport inventory continues to turn very quickly on dealer lots in just 10 days........

Last week, my local dealer received three new Bronco Sports. They were gone in two days.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Wait, what? That's excellent since production was supposed to be capped at 50,000

I think it's been selling really well. I only know a few people that have one, and they're huge fans. I have my own feelings on it, but I think Ford has something with this one. Plus the media blitzing has to be working.

19 minutes ago, ryant601 said:

I think it's been selling really well. I only know a few people that have one, and they're huge fans. I have my own feelings on it, but I think Ford has something with this one. Plus the media blitzing has to be working.

It wasn't an arbitrary cap, it was limited by battery supply. It's great they managed to ease that constraint a bit and get some more sales. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

It wasn't an arbitrary cap, it was limited by battery supply. It's great they managed to ease that constraint a bit and get some more sales. 

I think that's the common link with all EVs. The more Ford can advocate priority relationships with battery vendors, the better. I truly feel between chips and batteries...if you can't make your own, you've got to have exclusive partnerships. 100k should be easy for them in 2022.

23 minutes ago, ryant601 said:

I would think $5/gallon gas in CA especially has really helped all electrified vehicle sales significantly. Very difficult to find any electrified vehicle on any new car lot. Big demand and little supply. They are sold before they hit dealer lots. Maverick hybrid is sold out for 2022. I would bet Escape hybrid and plugin is pretty much spoken for also unless fuel prices come down significantly. CA alone could take up most of Mach E sales. Most Ford dealers will be lucky to see one. CA, NY, and FL probably get most of them. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

I would think $5/gallon gas in CA especially has really helped all electrified vehicle sales significantly. Very difficult to find any electrified vehicle on any new car lot. Big demand and little supply. They are sold before they hit dealer lots. Maverick hybrid is sold out for 2022. I would bet Escape hybrid and plugin is pretty much spoken for also unless fuel prices come down significantly. CA alone could take up most of Mach E sales. Most Ford dealers will be lucky to see one. CA, NY, and FL probably get most of them. 

CA also has more aggressive EV initiatives than the rest of the country, 2035 is last year you can buy a non zero-emissions vehicle in CA. Not saying people are buying them for that reason, but I just think the population is more receptive to buying them than the rest of the country. Gas is about $3.50/gal here in NJ, but I get the sense that owning an EV around here is still more of a status symbol than it is an economic decision. Roads are way too crowded, way too many people in general, not enough chargers to really support widespread adoption. 

At the end of the day, 60k cars on the road is a drop in the bucket - but I've always thought if anyone was going to move the EV needle it'd be Ford. They're doing it right with all of the different offerings in all of the different segments. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Here are pretty colors:

image.thumb.png.be300ca0324ccb913d00a708b39b0906.png

Ford GT up 250% YoY! Maybe I'm super naïve, but I had no idea Lincoln represented that few vehicles as a % of FMC total, almost makes you wonder what the point is. What I do know though is the margins on those Navigators are quite appealing. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ryant601 said:

Maybe I'm super naïve, but I had no idea Lincoln represented that few vehicles as a % of FMC total, almost makes you wonder what the point is. 

No naivete there ryant601 sir, your thought about Lincoln is a logical one. A decade ago, Alan Mulally came close to shutting down the Lincoln brand because he correctly recognized that Lincoln became almost irrelevant in the luxury car market at the time. However, Jim Farley convinced Mulally not to do that. 

Nowadays, Lincoln is in the midst of a transformation. While U.S. sales remain low as you mentioned, Ford hopes to establish Lincoln as a luxury market contender in China, and possibly use the brand for promoting Ford's high-end BEV in both U.S. and China.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

No naivete there ryant601 sir, your thought about Lincoln is a logical one. A decade ago, Alan Mulally came close to shutting down the Lincoln brand because he correctly recognized that Lincoln became almost irrelevant in the luxury car market at the time. However, Jim Farley convinced Mulally not to do that. 

Nowadays, Lincoln is in the midst of a transformation. While U.S. sales remain low as you mentioned, Ford hopes to establish Lincoln as a luxury market contender in China, and possibly use the brand for promoting Ford's high-end BEV in both U.S. and China.

Learned something new. I often forget there are other countries in the world. ?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

From what I remember, it was the Ford family that held firm on keeping Lincoln, not Farley. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, akirby said:

Lincoln helps amortize Ford platforms and factories and generate much higher profit margins.  Killing Lincoln would just be throwing away free money.

Still wonder what game plan Ford has for Lincoln other than BEV Aviator, Corsair. And the chip shortage has hurt high profit margin Lincoln more than Ford. You would think Ford would save chips for $100,000 Navigator and Aviator. Not long ago Lincoln sold 10,000 vehicles/month. That has been cut almost in half. Maybe that is why so many are salivating for the new Zephyr. Lincoln needs another offering in a new segment. 2022 will be telling for Lincoln. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Lincoln helps amortize Ford platforms and factories and generate much higher profit margins.  Killing Lincoln would just be throwing away free money.

GM did with Cadillac what Ford's critics have said it should do - bring out bespoke platforms for Cadillac passenger cars. Several years later, after those passenger cars have gone nowhere in the market, Cadillac is retrenching, and just like Lincoln, it depends on crossovers and SUVs based on regular GM platforms for survival. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ryant601 said:

Ford GT up 250% YoY! Maybe I'm super naïve, but I had no idea Lincoln represented that few vehicles as a % of FMC total, almost makes you wonder what the point is. What I do know though is the margins on those Navigators are quite appealing. 

Lincoln was at 105k for the year last year, but obviously chip shortages have hurt them this year.  Plus the loss of sedan sales has set them back numbers wise, that hasn't quite been overcome by increase crossover sales (again, hard to truly compare with shortages, though).

1 hour ago, FordBuyer said:

Still wonder what game plan Ford has for Lincoln other than BEV Aviator, Corsair. And the chip shortage has hurt high profit margin Lincoln more than Ford. You would think Ford would save chips for $100,000 Navigator and Aviator. Not long ago Lincoln sold 10,000 vehicles/month. That has been cut almost in half. Maybe that is why so many are salivating for the new Zephyr. Lincoln needs another offering in a new segment. 2022 will be telling for Lincoln. 

As I mentioned above, dropping sedans removed a good 3-5k/month out of the overall total that hasn't quite been made up by crossover sales - we'll see what happens next year when hopefully the chip issue is at least more stable.

I do agree more needs to be done, though.  direct BEV replacements of the current lineup are nice, but additional models would be even better.  One would think a battery skateboard could lend well to a variety of different products.  I still think it'd be nice to plop a larger mid-size BEV sedan in the lineup that you start around 45k-50k and up from there.   Keep the margins up, and sales may not be huge with higher prices, but it still gives Lincoln a product in the segment.   Another product they could try is a "Navicross redux" - a crossover coupe type thing - again, not going to set the world on fire sales-wise, but additional product.  Lastly a "balls to the wall" BEV Continental crossover - have it be like the Cullinan in form, super high end.  I know these latter two ideas are more "image" products, but I feel Lincoln could use a couple of them to continue to pull Lincoln's image upward, which will help sales of the other products in the lineup.

6 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Ford did delay the Transit EV so maybe that's why they were able to build more Mach E.

Transit EV and Mach E use the same LG Chem battery cell - it was supposed to save cost but maybe Ford decided to just allocate all of it to Mach E this year and push Transit to next year (it was supposed to launch in early 2021 in Europe and fall 2021 in US but neither happened)

• Thanks 1

Why are we comparing Bronco sales to that of Jeep Compass and Cherokee?  Is that really what they're trying to compete with?  Is the Wrangler line just a 4wd elephant in the room?

To be clear, I have no idea how the Wrangler sales compare to Bronco or whatever, but if I saw a Ford commercial that was touting that particular statistic I wouldn't be able to keep from laughing.  And this reminds me that I recently heard that the tires shipping on the Broncos are Goodyear Wranglers that Ford paid Goodyear to re-brand.  I wonder how much that's costing the Bronco drivers...

My sister-in-law recently took delivery of a new Bronco.  It's pretty cool -- I like it.  And I'm a long-time Jeep fan.  I've owned a couple of Grand Cherokees, and my project vehicle is an old CJ-7.  But also, I have an F-250 on order.  To each his own, the right tool for the job, and all that.