Tint

rsharpejr87

What are everyones thoughts about tint?

I usually just run 35% on the fronts of my trucks, but this time I was thinking a little darker, adding more

like 20% all around and 50% on the windshield.

Anybody have thoughts?

I know I definitely don't want 5%

Whats it like when you have windshield tinted, ridiculous?

I am running 35% over the front two windows and 50% over the factory tint. Bought the truck when I live in WA state and needed to keep it legal and not to dark. Live in Phoenix, AZ now and did the wife’s car with 15% over side windows and over factory tint. Nice and dark! I have an F350 on order and will likely do the 15% all the way around on it as well. We need it here for heat rejection however, the added privacy is nice as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ford truck guy said:

I have mine tinted with 20%… I find that when pulling into a campground at night, i have to put the windows down to see when backing into my site.. I did not tint the windshield

Yeah when I used to have a fifth wheel it was impossible to set up at night without the windows down. But definitely worth the downside of that when rolling around during the day. I’m just not sure if 20% is gonna drive me crazy 

Always tinted my trucks to match back windows.  As I've gotten older though my night vision just isn't what it used to be so the darker tint is a problem now.  On my next truck I'll go a much lighter tint with more focus on UV protection.

Edited by javashot1
spelling
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, bshort said:

How does one see out of tinted side windows at night?  Turn all the cluster lights as dim as possible? 

20% you can see if there's light around or in a lighted parking lot but if it is Pitch Black and the only thing you have to go off is your reverse light you can't see much around you. I put the windows down... if it is raining....  well.... go very slow and be cautious.

Screenshot_20211206-172127_Gallery.jpg

Edited by IUEC135ELEVATOR

On 12/5/2021 at 8:36 PM, Chris E said:

Just had my fronts done to match the rear and had the windshield tinted lighter. 

39F9E0F8-2743-480F-92B1-1BE5A38AC4BE.jpeg

that's a beautiful truck!

I actually almost had one identical to that. the guy that ordered it showed up and wasn't impressed with the color.

he initially decided to pass on it and I was next on the list if he did. 

but of course the next morning he called and decided he wanted it after all.

it was back to the waiting game for me again.....

all good things come in time right?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, JimL243 said:

I have always matched the factory tint here in Texas, thinking of going a little darker this time around but has anyone clear ceramic tinted the windshield and noticed any benefits?

I have been hearing alot about ceramic tinting lately...

not totally sure or fully understand the difference between normal and ceramic tint.

but I was also thinking about ceramic coating my Truck when it comes in. does anyone have experience with that?

Im definitely getting it Krown coated, probably right after I leave the dealer lot

On 12/6/2021 at 4:46 PM, rsharpejr87 said:

Yeah when I used to have a fifth wheel it was impossible to set up at night without the windows down. But definitely worth the downside of that when rolling around during the day. I’m just not sure if 20% is gonna drive me crazy 

yup… I had tint a few trucks ago and knew the downside.. I decided it was worth it to me to have the tint, I does look awesome ! !

On 12/6/2021 at 8:12 PM, rsharpejr87 said:

I have been hearing alot about ceramic tinting lately...

not totally sure or fully understand the difference between normal and ceramic tint.

but I was also thinking about ceramic coating my Truck when it comes in. does anyone have experience with that?

Im definitely getting it Krown coated, probably right after I leave the dealer lot

I ceramic coated my 2017 - was a great decision. The one thing I am going to do when my 22 arrives is PPF and Ceramic coat the hood and front bumper since it's painted to color match the truck.

On 12/5/2021 at 6:35 PM, rsharpejr87 said:

What are everyones thoughts about tint?

I usually just run 35% on the fronts of my trucks, but this time I was thinking a little darker, adding more

like 20% all around and 50% on the windshield.

Anybody have thoughts?

I know I definitely don't want 5%

Whats it like when you have windshield tinted, ridiculous?

I always match my front two with 20 percent and add a 5 percent brow on the windshield. 

Whatever % tint you go with, get ceramic.  Much better at heat and UV rejection.  (FWIW, I had 40% on front windows, 70% on rear and back privacy glass of my '18 F-150.  Yeah, fronts were lighter than rears but had no visibility problems.  Function over form.)

On my Land Cruiser, I did Rayno ceramic 70% on my windshield and all rear windows.  50% on the sunroof.  30% on front sides.  Even in the FL sun the interior is never overbearingly hot.

Keep in mind the primary heat rejection of tint isn't its darkness, it's the construction of the film.  Ceramic has superior heat rejection.  A 70% ceramic film will outperform a darker film of lesser quality.

• Like 1