Chrysler branded EV

atomcat68

The photo they show in the article gives me a Mach E vibe.

The thing that that annoys me about current EV design-they are suffering from the minimalist design in an effort to make them look different then a regular car. The thing is that using the Prius as an example-it became a short lived status symbol that just frumpy looking now. IMO the Model 3 just looks cheap because it has no styling details to it, the Model X looks like pregnant Model S that would have been far better served with a more stereotypical 2 box design instead of a fat sedan/hatchback look it has. 

Since you don't have as worry about cooling as much with BEVs, why not try a different form factor that would make it stick out?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Harley Lover said:

It's clean, but I'm not sure they could have made it any more generic looking:screen-shot-2021-12-07-at-12-03-13-pm-16screen-shot-2021-12-07-at-12-03-21-pm-16

It looks nice enough, but as pointed out somewhat generic looking.  But Chrysler doesn't really have much going for it design wise to begin with (at least in recent times), so there's not much for them to pull from design wise for it.

Weird color choice to show off a car in. White is the worst color to show a car off with subtle and softer detailing.  

I found that out while researching history on my 2nd gen Firebird!

Porter admits to having reservations about white as an exterior color on the Firebird since it can hide a vehicle's body shape. "There aren't any shadows and there's nothing to reflect the curves; it works better with sharper body angles. 

4 hours ago, akirby said:

I think going forward BEV will be just another drivetrain and not a unique type of vehicle.  And what makes a great vehicle won’t change just because of a new powertrain.  And F150 Lightning is the first example.

Disagree. EV skateboard allows for tremendous leeway to designers to increase interior space and reshape the proportions of the vehicle. If they choose to take advantage of the opportunity. The Jaguar EV (name escapes me right now) is a good example: interior space on par with the XJ, but exterior size on par with a C class vehicle. That said, there are only so many ways to skin the cat, so except for whackadoodle things like the Tesla pickup, most of the form factors will remain the same (which is sort of your point).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Harley Lover said:

Disagree. EV skateboard allows for tremendous leeway to designers to increase interior space and reshape the proportions of the vehicle. If they choose to take advantage of the opportunity. The Jaguar EV (name escapes me right now) is a good example: interior space on par with the XJ, but exterior size on par with a C class vehicle. That said, there are only so many ways to skin the cat, so except for whackadoodle things like the Tesla pickup, most of the form factors will remain the same (which is sort of your point).

Yes, that’s my point.  You CAN do outrageous designs but that doesn’t mean you should.  There are basic principles with the suspension and interior and aerodynamics that don’t change,   As for things like no engine in front - we’ve seen rear and mid engine cars for half a century.  I do think you’ll see more great designs since the constraints of cooling and powertrain orientation are no longer there.  But I don’t think the successful ones will be drastically different.

Edited by akirby

18 hours ago, Harley Lover said:

While they may have done better interior space wise on the i-Pace, I find it to be goofy looking.  Though I know some think it looks amazing.