Farley with Auto News: EV Plans and More

In recent times, big improvements have come from making vehicle construction less complex/easier to build and standardising the construction process, modular assembly from offline work stations. Looking at construction in different ways…

While a akirby is right that much of the body construction, interior, trim and wheels, brakes, suspension are all similar, the difference is the way they go together. Take Mustang Mach E,  the shell is there but now less complex to build because it bolts to a frame. The perimeter frame in a skateboard is arguably easier to make (external supplier) and fit parts together compared to a unibody with a bunch of parts in a jig waiting to marry up in an overhead position. The secret is how all the parts come together, the construction happens earlier in better position for workers (line can move faster).

Edited by jpd80

3 hours ago, jpd80 said:

In recent times, big improvements have come from making vehicle construction less complex/easier to build and standardising the construction process, modular assembly from offline work stations. Looking at construction in different ways…

While a akirby is right that much of the body construction, interior, trim and wheels, brakes, suspension are all similar, the difference is the way they go together. Take Mustang Mach E,  the shell is there but now less complex to build because it bolts to a frame. The perimeter frame in a skateboard is arguably easier to make (external supplier) and fit parts together compared to a unibody with a bunch of parts in a jig waiting to marry up in an overhead position. The secret is how all the parts come together, the construction happens earlier in better position for workers (line can move faster).

I agree about the skateboard being easier but I was comparing Mach-e to Ranger which is also body on frame so the final assembly is very similar with the savings being in the chassis and powertrain assembly.

26 minutes ago, akirby said:

I agree about the skateboard being easier but I was comparing Mach-e to Ranger which is also body on frame so the final assembly is very similar with the savings being in the chassis and powertrain assembly.

Correct but the one thing that changes is the perimeter frame and layout of equipment, I suspect that there’s some not so obvious differences there that add up to a lot of labor savings….that is of course assuming what Ford said was true.

I just found the article where they said building a traditional powertrain is the most labor-intensive part of vehicle construction…..so yeah, it’s the engine and gearbox, get rid of them and the build becomes much easier.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/12/04/business/electric-car-job-threat/index.html

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, FordBuyer said:

Delays will be the name of the game for near term at least. No one will meet their near term schedules. 

Yes sir FordBuyer. At the same time, demand for BEV keeps increasing exponentially. What Jim Farley said about demand for Ford's BEV being 2 to 3 times supply may be the norm for all automakers for several years to come.

On 12/8/2021 at 3:36 PM, FordBuyer said:

Word out today that Farley wants to build out a Maverick sub brand like Bronco. I suspect a small Maverick CUV that replaces the Ecosport and comes in hybrid, plugin, and full electric versions. You have to cover all bases as not everyone wants or can afford a full electric. But everyone wants good fuel mileage. 

this sounds great to me, have a 2013 C-Max and will need something, preferably Maverick plugin in a couple years