Honesty Hour: The Tremor Package

Forddaddy

10 minutes ago, Forddaddy said:

For those who own or have ordered the Tremor package, what is your reasoning: the performance, looks or both? I agree with the appearance, but if you’re being honest, do you feel the performance is there for an off road package? 

Mostly the look for me. I would of taken a stock truck and done very similar to it if the tremor option wasnt there.

It does have impressive off road capabilities for a factory full size truck.

Same for me as mattdm stated.  I would have taken a stock truck and done the same thing.  So yes, primarily for the looks.  By ordering it with the Tremor package I only have to beg forgiveness once (purchase of the truck).  

Plus it is nice to have the off road features...not that I will be doing a ton of frodin.  Just like other things, rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

You get a “softer” suspension with the Tremor Package, which limits your towing and 5th Wheel capabilities. I don’t care if you think adding bags or plugs helps mitigate sagging, you still have to spend more money to add an aftermarket item that still performs sub-par in comparison to a high towing capacity package with added leaf springs. You also have large and more expensive 35” tires to replace, which don’t help with fuel economy when towing.

I’ll admit the Tremor Package is cool and recommend it to folks who have the money to not care one way or the other, as well as those who sincerely like the look, don’t plan to tow much, and take it off road in harsh terrain. But if you’re like me and plan to tow more and want some off-road capability, you’re better off doing the high towing capacity package combined with the camper, FX4, and 5th wheel prep package. And if you really care about payload, don’t get a Tremor.

We tow a travel trailer camping all over the place, often in rural mountainous areas.  Since it's a Tremor we able able to navigate forest service roads, drag fallen trees out of the way, etc..  The added capabilities are a must in some areas.  Nothing to do with looks.  100% practicality.  

15 hours ago, ScottK1 said:

We tow a travel trailer camping all over the place, often in rural mountainous areas.  Since it's a Tremor we able able to navigate forest service roads, drag fallen trees out of the way, etc..  The added capabilities are a must in some areas.  Nothing to do with looks.  100% practicality.  

We here in Oregon have about #400 f-550 cc 4x4  dually fire trucks loaded that weigh about 17,500lbs. We take them everywhere in the woods, we some times have to make our own roads or drive them down a dozer line (very rough) with no lift kits and stock tires. In addition we have tons (alot) of single rear wheel 4x4 pickups that go everywhere as well with no lift kits but they do have load range E tires. Not one tremor package in the fleet, but the tremor does look good with the fender flares. I am having the dealer put on the tremor looking flares that are painted to match $700. Main reason I didnt get the tremor was because I didnt want the 3.55 rear end due to me being a MPG snob and I loved the 25 highway mpg my 2020 F-250 cc 4x4 6.7 got with the 3.31 locker rear end. 

Edited by OREGUNFIRE

I went for the non tremor. Because I wanted a payload and Towing machine in srw.

It's a beast and I like it....but if it was not for the towing need....I would have bought a tremor. It is the Raptors big brother! In my opinion the Tremor is the coolest stock HD truck on the market .? 

Edited by IUEC135ELEVATOR

A bunch of guys that work at my firehouse have either Tremor Super Dutys or Chevy Trail Boss.  Not a single one of them has or will ever go off road, they just bought them for the look.  In the Jeep world they would be considered "mall crawlers."

My truck is only used for towing my racecar around, so 35's and a lift were not ideal.  I also wanted a long bed.  I still got the 4.30 rear end because I'd rather have the mechanical advantage of the gearing when going through the mountains.  I don't rely on my truck for MPG.

However, I will admit that I do like the overall look of the OEM off-road ready trucks.  While I personally would not take a full-size 3/4 ton off-road as my first choice, they do look pretty badass as a factory package.

I came from a Colorado ZR2 loved it but purchased some horses and needed something bigger to tow with. The ZR2 had both front and rear locking diffs I do a lot of off-road camping so was not willing to give up at least the rear locker. so my choices were The Tremor, Ram Power Wagon or a Raptor problem is the I would be maxing out the Raptor when towing and did not want to be that close if I was upgrading anyway. 

Picked the truck up yesterday and well it does also look great so cant complain there.

On 12/9/2021 at 11:38 AM, ScottK1 said:

I'm with you.  We are full-time RVers with an off-road trailer and wanted the capability to go "wherever" (within reason of course).

I ordered because of:

1.  Looks of the '22 MY Super Duty with the black wheels and little more "offroad" prowess

2.  Former Raptor owner but wanted something that could pull off more towing 

3.  Ordered F350 vs F250 due to MN license laws.  MUCH cheaper yearly registration fees for the F350.  $130(ish) vs $700(ish) per year.

4.  IT JUST LOOKS AWESOME!  

2022 F350 King Ranch 7.3L - Rapid Red/Stone Grey

Winch

AS

KR Luxury Package

5th Wheel Prep

Stowable Ramps

Vinyl Floors

Upfitter Switches

Heated Rear Seats

Adaptive Cruise

Engine Block Heater

Roof Clearance Lights

Splash Guards and Wheel Well Liners

Ordered mine mainly for looks but, also for capability when I am off road occasionally. I don’t want to deal with adding a bunch of after market stuff so, i just ordered what i wanted, will tint the windows, and call it good. 

Edited by NWnative

On 12/9/2021 at 9:30 AM, nswan said:

You get a “softer” suspension with the Tremor Package, which limits your towing and 5th Wheel capabilities. I don’t care if you think adding bags or plugs helps mitigate sagging, you still have to spend more money to add an aftermarket item that still performs sub-par in comparison to a high towing capacity package with added leaf springs. You also have large and more expensive 35” tires to replace, which don’t help with fuel economy when towing.

I’ll admit the Tremor Package is cool and recommend it to folks who have the money to not care one way or the other, as well as those who sincerely like the look, don’t plan to tow much, and take it off road in harsh terrain. But if you’re like me and plan to tow more and want some off-road capability, you’re better off doing the high towing capacity package combined with the camper, FX4, and 5th wheel prep package. And if you really care about payload, don’t get a Tremor.

A SRW will still need airbags if you are hauling any significant load with tongue weight, unless you don't care if the sits nose high.

Edited by Robin Hood

On 12/9/2021 at 9:30 AM, nswan said:

My stock F350 with FX4 and camper package sags 5 inches with the payload maxed from my fifth wheel.  I'm have to buy aftermarket items to level it.  The Tremor isnt any worse.

Why did I order an F250 Tremor 7.3l.?

First, like the looks and idea of off-road capable.

Second, it’s a 10k gvwr, for tax purposes in Virginnie..above that personal property taxes and registration are higher.

Third, Tremor is softer suspension than non-Tremor.

Fourth, an F250 Tremor is basically a derated F350 Tremor, same leaf package and rear-end, so real world payload is basically the same as a F350 Tremor…but, not legal payload.

So, I basically get an F350 Tremor, with lower taxes and registration, and softer ride than non-Tremor F350.

What’s not to like.

PS. Expect 2600lb payload, but really/real world is more like 3200lb+

Edited by sjmcken81
Correction