Ford Maverick is a finalist for Motor Trend 2022 Truck of the Year

The rivian is a great truck for sure. But I feel like the maverick should have won. It's a fantastic product, especially the hybrid. It's going to be one of the main vehicles that brings people into the hybrid age, and prepares them for the full transition to evs. By comparison, the rivian is an undeniably cool, yet niche product that's beyond the realm of affordability for most normal consumers. The rivian is the one everyone talks about, but the maverick is the electrified pickup that people actually purchase.

12 minutes ago, DeluxeStang said:

The rivian is a great truck for sure. But I feel like the maverick should have won. It's a fantastic product, especially the hybrid. It's going to be one of the main vehicles that brings people into the hybrid age, and prepares them for the full transition to evs. By comparison, the rivian is an undeniably cool, yet niche product that's beyond the realm of affordability for most normal consumers. The rivian is the one everyone talks about, but the maverick is the electrified pickup that people actually purchase.

This award has to do with advertising not the vehicle itself.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, akirby said:

This award has to do with advertising not the vehicle itself.

Not a surprise Rivian sees more value in TOTY than Ford or Hyundai. I'm sure the marketing commitment from Rivian was significant. 

Lucid won the COTY as well. These things are more important for upstarts than incumbents. 

51 minutes ago, bzcat said:

Not a surprise Rivian sees more value in TOTY than Ford or Hyundai. I'm sure the marketing commitment from Rivian was significant. 

Lucid won the COTY as well. These things are more important for upstarts than incumbents. 

Ford gave up on these awards and the automotive media in general years ago.  They can be illogical and impossible to please and in the end they have almost no bearing on sales.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bzcat said:

You guys have any evidence that they are paying for these honors or is that just a narrative that people are pushing?..

I love the Maverick.

I'm glad the Rivian won. It is the first all electric pickup to market, and it's a great truck! Not affordable for most families probably but it's not exclusive to the the rich either. 

The Maverick is great in it's own right but in terms of Truck of the Year, greater innovation & the future of mobility wins this time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Willwll313wll said:

You guys have any evidence that they are paying for these honors or is that just a narrative that people are pushing?..

It’s well established that when you are in the running for a motor trend OTY award you must submit your marketing plan as to how you plan to advertise the award.   Why would you need to submit that before the award unless that’s part of the judging criteria?  So not direct payments just advertising and this only applies to Motor trend not the others.

2 hours ago, akirby said:

It’s well established that when you are in the running for a motor trend OTY award you must submit your marketing plan as to how you plan to advertise the award.   Why would you need to submit that before the award unless that’s part of the judging criteria?  So not direct payments just advertising and this only applies to Motor trend not the others.

Ah yes, i do remember that. 

6 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

The rivian is a great truck for sure. But I feel like the maverick should have won. It's a fantastic product, especially the hybrid. It's going to be one of the main vehicles that brings people into the hybrid age, and prepares them for the full transition to evs. 

Yes sir DeluxeStang, Rivian R1T is truly a revolution in the pickup truck world. As Motor Trend said themselves, it "forced both the industry and the market to reassess expectations" just as Tesla Model S did when it was introduced and won Motor Trend Car of the Year in 2012.

Maybe in a few years when a BEV version of Ford Maverick comes out, it will win Truck of the Year. F-150 Lightning has a good chance of winning that award too. 

55 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Yes sir DeluxeStang, Rivian R1T is truly a revolution in the pickup truck world. As Motor Trend said themselves, it "forced both the industry and the market to reassess expectations" just as Tesla Model S did when it was introduced and won Motor Trend Car of the Year in 2012.

Maybe in a few years when a BEV version of Ford Maverick comes out, it will win Truck of the Year. F-150 Lightning has a good chance of winning that award too. 

This seems drastic for a product not even out yet (or just trickling out).

It won because "EV" and is more accessible than the Hummer.  Not saying it's not worthy of winning, more that it was a shoe-in.

Edited by rmc523
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

It won because "EV" and is more accessible than the Hummer.  Not saying it's not worthy of winning, more that it was a shoe-in.

He can’t help it - he blindly believes everything he reads.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

Deliveries of Rivian R1T to consumers started a couple months ago. That makes R1T the first mass produced BEV pickup truck.

Ultimately, what makes R1T such a game changer is that it does "trucky" things including off roading as well or better than existing pickups, combined with sports car level agility and acceleration, luxury car level ride quality, and economy car level efficiency.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Deliveries of Rivian R1T to consumers started a couple months ago. That makes R1T the first mass produced BEV pickup truck.

Ultimately, what makes R1T such a game changer is that it does "trucky" things including off roading as well or better than existing pickups, combined with sports car level agility and acceleration, luxury car level ride quality, and economy car level efficiency.

Debatable whether 2 vehicles per day constitutes “mass production “.  I couldn’t find numbers for November, only through October, so production may have ramped up considerably.  They supposedly have 2 versions of the van and suv starting production this month.  Lots of complexity to add new vehicles while ramping up the first.

1 hour ago, slemke said:

Debatable whether 2 vehicles per day constitutes “mass production “.  I couldn’t find numbers for November, only through October, so production may have ramped up considerably.  They supposedly have 2 versions of the van and suv starting production this month.  Lots of complexity to add new vehicles while ramping up the first.

Haven’t we seen this story before? Start up ends up engineering great product for mass production. Fails to be able to mass produce said vehicle.

Starting to wonder if Ford got a bit nervous and bought into Rivian. When they got behind the curtain, realized that they were farther ahead than they knew. When they pulled the carpet out from a Rivian collaboration, it told me they were satisfied where they were and didn’t want to have anything to do with the Rivian goat rodeo.

I still believe in Rivian but am starting to believe more in the Lightning 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, slemke said:

Yeah, I heard Rivian was in production hell as in taking a month to go from 1 to 2 vehicles/day. And only deliveries are to Rivian employees. Reminds me of being back in Detroit when early Ford production models went to Ford executives to drive to home and work before shipping to dealers. 

10 hours ago, jcartwright99 said:

I still believe in Rivian but am starting to believe more in the Lightning 

F-150 Lightning is the most important new product from Ford so far this century. Definitely something that any Ford employee, investor, or customer should believe in.

While it's a little disappointing that Ford cancelled a couple projects with Rivian (Lincoln SUV and unnamed Ford BEV), there are still opportunities for the 2 companies to collaborate in the near future. Rivian said this last month.

"As Ford has scaled its own EV strategy and demand for Rivian vehicles has grown, we’ve mutually decided to focus on our own projects and deliveries. Our relationship with Ford is an important part of our journey, and Ford remains an investor and ally on our shared path to an electrified future"

13 hours ago, rperez817 said:

My next vehicle will likely be a BEV or PHEV (6'box Ranger or Maverick-size PU). But if I was spending ~$80,000 on a less utility/more performance truck today, I'd get an F-150 Limited Hybrid. Range isn't as important to me as utility. I've got 120v/20A in the garage and I'm home most nights. I need a 6' box minimum and can live without a frunk or gear tunnel; although that would be a great way to smuggle friends in to the drive-in movie, if I could find one, and if I still had friends limber enough to crawl in.

The R1S would be on the "A" shopping list if I was in the market for a C-D SUV, however.

Edited by Chrisgb
added content

My daughter currently has a '13 CMax she got about 2 years ago and loves the MPG it gets. Now, fast-forward 9 model-years and she put a Maverick on order back in September. Going to be a great little truck for and the grandbaby, both in cost of ownership and safety.  Hoping it gets built sooner than later for her, however.  The CMax runs fine but her itch for a newer vehicle is worse.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rperez817 said:

F-150 Lightning is the most important new product from Ford so far this century. Definitely something that any Ford employee, investor, or customer should believe in.

While it's a little disappointing that Ford cancelled a couple projects with Rivian (Lincoln SUV and unnamed Ford BEV), there are still opportunities for the 2 companies to collaborate in the near future. Rivian said this last month

It’s pretty obvious that Ford has been laying the groundwork for a possible cash out its Rivian stock in the near future.

Edited by jpd80