Hybrid for Power?

CenTex Raptor

I had an Infiniti Q50 Hybrid that had the normal engine, then added electric motors to the vehicle. It was a little more expensive, but had jaw-dropping acceleration, and got 50% better gas mileage. They stopped making it, but Infiniti and Lexus were the two companies that had Hybrids that were MORE powerful than the top end car. Everyone else paired a weak engine with the electric motors to squeeze as much as possible MPGs out of the vehicle. A vehicle like the Raptor could benefit from this kind of pairing. I have looked at the current F-150 Hybrid, but it doesn't seem to get as much benefit from this pairing, and it does it in a way that seems less effective. Don't think an electric only Raptor would ever makes sense, but the Hybrid option would seem to.

Thoughts? 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, akirby said:

Twin turbo 3.0L engine, plug in hybrid.  494 HP, 630 lb/ft at 2250 rpm.

Sounds pretty good.... not sure about the "plug in" part. Is that optional, and it charges when driving around, also, or is the plug the only way to charge? The stats look pretty good, maybe a bit better than the 3.5L H.O. Ecoboost in the Raptor.

1 hour ago, CenTex Raptor said:

Sounds pretty good.... not sure about the "plug in" part. Is that optional, and it charges when driving around, also, or is the plug the only way to charge? The stats look pretty good, maybe a bit better than the 3.5L H.O. Ecoboost in the Raptor.

Charging is optional.  When the battery depletes it’s a regular hybrid.  Or you can use the engine to recharge the battery while driving.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, akirby said:

Charging is optional.  When the battery depletes it’s a regular hybrid.  Or you can use the engine to recharge the battery while driving.

What do you think about that same setup, paired to the current Raptor's 3.5L High Output Ecoboost? Is that possibly what would be in the Raptor R? Or is that pretty much a traditional High Output V-8 setup?

2 hours ago, CenTex Raptor said:

What do you think about that same setup, paired to the current Raptor's 3.5L High Output Ecoboost? Is that possibly what would be in the Raptor R? Or is that pretty much a traditional High Output V-8 setup?

Probably the gt500 supercharged coyote V8.

Raptor has V8 options for more power - Aviator not so much,  Also very different competition.

18 minutes ago, akirby said:

Probably the gt500 supercharged coyote V8.

Raptor has V8 options for more power - Aviator not so much,  Also very different competition.

Makes sense, but the electrics from the hybrid provide a pretty good low end punch. I guess the supercharger does also, vs the delay you typically get with turbos. I just wonder if the hybrid/turbo combo could be more effective mix than supercharged only. Again, thinking about the boost the electrics have, vs traditional hybrid to squeeze out more MPG... although that could be a welcome byproduct. A Raptor R with the power to exceed a TRX, but with gas mileage of 18-20mpg would be pretty awesome. 

• Like 2

On 12/11/2021 at 12:33 PM, CenTex Raptor said:

Makes sense, but the electrics from the hybrid provide a pretty good low end punch. I guess the supercharger does also, vs the delay you typically get with turbos. I just wonder if the hybrid/turbo combo could be more effective mix than supercharged only. Again, thinking about the boost the electrics have, vs traditional hybrid to squeeze out more MPG... although that could be a welcome byproduct. A Raptor R with the power to exceed a TRX, but with gas mileage of 18-20mpg would be pretty awesome. 

What are the odds the next iteration of the Raptor is a full EV model?  Or maybe just a supped-up version of the Powerboost?

12 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Very high odds. The introduction of F-150 Lightning next year will usher in an era of BEV pickup trucks of all sizes and configurations from Ford, including future Raptors.

There is a lot to like about a hybrid combo, so long as done for power primarily, and as a secondary benefit has better gas mileage..

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'd like to see a bigger battery option on the F150 Hybrid. I know that takes away from Lightning sales, but the Hybrid does have a place for those of us who like to get off the grid and away from the city for camping, fishing resorts, etc. which are outside the range of a completely electric vehicle and have no way to charge it when you are there.