Chip Hold - Looking For Expert Knowledge

catastrofe

There are a number of trucks that went into production (primarily Thanksgiving week) but are now on hold for some type of (alleged) chip issue.  Meanwhile, trucks with the same trim and options continue to be produced and shipped.

Is there anyone here with real knowledge on what this means and Ford's process to deal with the situation? Will our trucks just sit somewhere until someone gets around to completing them, or is there motivation at the plant to get them completed and "sold" for the calendar year?

I've seen the comment from @Highthawk37 regarding trucks built without radios.  That leads to several other questions as it would imply all vehicles with that trim/radio level would be on hold.

• Like 1

Alleged chip issue?  Really?

Its not just chips - it’s difficult to get all parts and the holdup could be just about any part.  These trucks represent some of Ford’s highest revenue and profit so if you don’t think they’re doing everything possible to get them to dealers you’re dreaming.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, akirby said:

Alleged chip issue?  Really?

Its not just chips - it’s difficult to get all parts and the holdup could be just about any part.  These trucks represent some of Ford’s highest revenue and profit so if you don’t think they’re doing everything possible to get them to dealers you’re dreaming.

Retail orders are scheduled based on parts availability.  My truck went to production which meant all parts were available.  It is now on hold, and Ford corporate has advised it's due to a chip issue.  

Do you have anything worthwhile to contribute to this discussion?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

When the 2021's went on chip hold in April,  May they were stored for 3 months before they were finished.  They continued to build and ship 2021's till July.  They even started building 2022's and shipping before the 2021 were finhished and shipped. My 2021 was held up.

31 minutes ago, doyall said:

Parts scheduled to arrive but didn't?  Just-in-time inventory rearing its ugly head? 

This was one of my first thoughts.  However, other trucks that went to production after mine have been built and shipped.  So...if they received additional chips, why wouldn't they complete those "on hold" first?  That's where knowledge of the process comes into play.  Frankly, my fear is that held trucks will be left in limbo until someone get's off his butt to push for completion. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, catastrofe said:

Retail orders are scheduled based on parts availability.  My truck went to production which meant all parts were available.  It is now on hold, and Ford corporate has advised it's due to a chip issue.  

ALL orders are scheduled based on priority codes and commodity restraint compliance at the time of scheduling.  

24 minutes ago, catastrofe said:

This was one of my first thoughts.  However, other trucks that went to production after mine have been built and shipped.  So...if they received additional chips, why wouldn't they complete those "on hold" first?  That's where knowledge of the process comes into play.  Frankly, my fear is that held trucks will be left in limbo until someone get's off his butt to push for completion.

The assembly line will get priority to the parts to avoid more incomplete trucks being produced.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, catastrofe said:

Start a topic, then complain about why some orders are scheduled and produced before others. Ignore the volume of information regarding order submission, priority codes, scheduling, commodity restraints, production and shipping issues posted by Ford employees, dealership staff, enthusiasts and others.

I've spent 35+ years managing a dealership order bank, including every Retail, Plan, Stock and Fleet order over those years. The ordering, scheduling and production are complex topics made more so in the past year due to the pandemic related microchip shortages, supplier issues, commodity restraints, interrupted plant production schedules, etc. I'm only one of a number here that spend hours each day answering questions and providing the latest information available. 

You want expert knowledge? It's already here if you bother to look at the volume of topics and resources available here at BOF. Want to cut your membership or benefits short? Keep it up, alienate the moderators further and you'll get an invitation to do so elsewhere. Enough of the complaining, whining, speculation and nonsense posts from too many that contribute nothing and waste too much time.   

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Fireguy said:

The assembly line will get priority to the parts to avoid more incomplete trucks being produced.

Either way they will have the same amount of incomplete trucks.  Theoretically they could have older, incomplete trucks languishing forever.  But then having to continually go back to complete trucks left incomplete rather than completing current ones would be more costly.  I am concerned that my truck is getting caught up in this predicament.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

Start a topic, then complain about why some orders are scheduled and produced before others. Ignore the volume of information regarding order submission, priority codes, scheduling, commodity restraints, production and shipping issues posted by Ford employees, dealership staff, enthusiasts and others.

I've spent 35+ years managing a dealership order bank, including every Retail, Plan, Stock and Fleet order over those years. The ordering, scheduling and production are complex topics made more so in the past year due to the pandemic related microchip shortages, supplier issues, commodity restraints, interrupted plant production schedules, etc. I'm only one of a number here that spend hours each day answering questions and providing the latest information available. 

You want expert knowledge? It's already here if you bother to look at the volume of topics and resources available here at BOF. Want to cut your membership or benefits short? Keep it up, alienate the moderators further and you'll get an invitation to do so elsewhere. Enough of the complaining, whining, speculation and nonsense posts from too many that contribute nothing and waste too much time.   

Seriously?  I receive a condescending response to a thread that specifically requests "expert knowledge" and you're smacking me for pointing this out to a moderator, who should be above petty responses?  

This forum is a wealth of information scattered across thousands of posts.  I've yet to see a specific post or thread addressing what happens when a truck is put on "hold" for a particular issue.  Maybe I missed it...can you point me in the right direction?

18 minutes ago, catastrofe said:

Seriously?  I receive a condescending response to a thread that specifically requests "expert knowledge" and you're smacking me for pointing this out to a moderator, who should be above petty responses?  

This forum is a wealth of information scattered across thousands of posts.  I've yet to see a specific post or thread addressing what happens when a truck is put on "hold" for a particular issue.  Maybe I missed it...can you point me in the right direction?

I've said all I'm going to say to you. If you don't like my reply that's fine. If you can't be bothered to look at the information and resources available here that's your problem. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, catastrofe said:

Retail orders are scheduled based on ANTICIPATED parts availability.  They don’t actually have every part sitting at the plant with a VIN attached.

Knock off the attitude or go somewhere else.  

• Like 7

40 minutes ago, catastrofe said:

The reality is the plant higher ups keep the internal operations and operating procedures pretty tight lipped.  If you cant get a straight answer to your question its probably because nobody here really knows. 

The parts shortage is over simplified and is a lot more complex then a lot of people or the media make it out to be. Every option right down to the color of the truck can make a difference if the parts are available or not.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, mattdm said:

The reality is the plant higher ups keep the internal operations and operating procedures pretty tight lipped.  If you cant get a straight answer to your question its probably because nobody here really knows. 

The parts shortage is over simplified and is a lot more complex then a lot of people or the media make it out to be. Every option right down to the color of the truck can make a difference if the parts are available or not.

Thank you...

59 minutes ago, akirby said:

Retail orders are scheduled based on ANTICIPATED parts availability.  They don’t actually have every part sitting at the plant with a VIN attached.

Knock off the attitude or go somewhere else.  

That makes complete sense, thank you.  Is it common for a vehicle to begin working it's way through production, only to find insufficient parts/components to complete the build?

Edited by catastrofe

32 minutes ago, catastrofe said:

That makes complete sense, thank you.  Is it common for a vehicle to begin working it's way through production, only to find insufficient parts/components to complete the build?

Normally no but it’s been normal for super duties this year.  A lot of folks have been assigned production dates only to have them pushed back 4 or 5 times.    They don’t like to build and store completed vehicles so it has to be an unusual circumstance or something they think is very short term.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, akirby said:

Normally no but it’s been normal for super duties this year.  A lot of folks have been assigned production dates only to have them pushed back 4 or 5 times.    They don’t like to build and store completed vehicles so it has to be an unusual circumstance or something they think is very short term.

Thanks.

19 hours ago, catastrofe said:

Ice and akirby both provide enormous amounts of very helpful information. And everything they provide is true and helpful to everyone. Your comment is very disrespectful. The answers and information they provide is a free source of  accurate information and I see them answers the same questions repeatedly over and over. 

To my understanding they do all of this on their personal time so I think they have no reason to be required to "be above petty responses." We should be respectful and be more appreciative of everything they do for all of us. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, danielj said:

Ice and akirby both provide enormous amounts of very helpful information. And everything they provide is true and helpful to everyone. Your comment is very disrespectful. The answers and information they provide is a free source of  accurate information and I see them answers the same questions repeatedly over and over. 

To my understanding they do all of this on their personal time so I think they have no reason to be required to "be above petty responses." We should be respectful and be more appreciative of everything they do for all of us. 

Forum is lucky to have these people willing to help. Sad people can be so disappointing.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Quote - "Do you have anything worthwhile to contribute to this discussion?"

If I were a moderator on this forum, doing this for complete strangers, on MY OWN time, there is NO WAY I would listen to crap like this ! ! ! They ALL are getting great information for people and they get nothing in return... At least YOUR dealer gets their commission , do you see them answering these questions?? 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fireguy said:

Has anyone with a truck  "  on hold for a chip  '   receive notification of being Built or Shipped?

Not me...tracking still shows "In Production".

I did speak with Ford marketing and they told me I should be "optimistic" as my delivery ETA is still 12/20 and not "TBD".  My dealer pulled my VVR and it shows delivery between 12/19 and 12/25.