(Soon to be) Navigator Owner

JO302

Hi everyone,

Great forum  - first time poster in the group. I'm going to be getting my wife a 2020-2021 Navigator L soon and have been doing all the usual research. I have always participated in forums for other vehicles we've had but first time Lincoln owner. Curious as to everyone's experience overall with the vehicle?

I've had a Ford vehicle since 1998  and overall very pleased with them. Just makes me nervous spending $90K+ on one when some that I have seen are flagged as lemons and noticed there were a few power train recalls this year. All things considered, would you buy one again?

Lastly, I would normally buy one under the Ford Z plan but my uncle passed away that got it for me. I was told I can no longer get that benefit - does anyone know if that is true? Would love to get a new one if I could but dealers aren't budging much on price these days.

Many thanks for the input!

Sorry to hear about your loss.

I had one of the first 18s and replaced it with a 21 when the lease expired. Very pleased with the vehicle. I drove Expeditions since the early 2000s but when I saw the new Navigator and the small price difference between it and a fully loaded Expedition, I decided to go with the Navigator and am very happy I did.

I can't speak to Z plan rules, but you can always join the Mustang Club of America for $25 and get X-plan pricing.

Lately, it seems dealers will only do X-plan on custom orders, but shop around and see what dealers in your area are offering.

Good luck!

3 hours ago, JO302 said:

Hi everyone,

Great forum  - first time poster in the group. I'm going to be getting my wife a 2020-2021 Navigator L soon and have been doing all the usual research. I have always participated in forums for other vehicles we've had but first time Lincoln owner. Curious as to everyone's experience overall with the vehicle?

I've had a Ford vehicle since 1998  and overall very pleased with them. Just makes me nervous spending $90K+ on one when some that I have seen are flagged as lemons and noticed there were a few power train recalls this year. All things considered, would you buy one again?

Lastly, I would normally buy one under the Ford Z plan but my uncle passed away that got it for me. I was told I can no longer get that benefit - does anyone know if that is true? Would love to get a new one if I could but dealers aren't budging much on price these days.

Many thanks for the input!

Hi JO302 and welcome to the Blue Oval Forums. Concerning Z-Plan PINS...Are you sure it was not an X-Plan PIN you received from your Uncle? Technically/according to the Plan rules, nieces and nephews of a Ford Employee are not eligible for A/ZPlan PINS. Your mother/father would be, as brothers/sisters/brother-in-law/sister-in-law of your Uncle, but not you.

Those eligible for A/Z Plan PINS are as follows:

-The Ford Employee/Retiree.

-Spouse.

-Parents (including step-parents).

-Spouse's parents.

-Grandparents.

-Spouse's grandparents.  

-Sons and daughters (including in-laws and step-children).

-Grandchildren.

-Brothers and sisters (including in-laws, half and step).

-Same-sex domestic partners of active eligible employees*.

-Immediate family members of eligible same-sex domestic partners*.

-Employees of approved subsidiary companies/organizations and approved affiliated companies/organizations as eligibility is defined at the time of approval.

-When both the employee/retiree and his/her spouse are deceased, the surviving family members are no longer eligible.

So as the niece/nephew of the Ford Employee (your Uncle), it is hard to determine how you were able to receive a Z-Plan PIN, unless it was done against the rules.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

Edited by bbf2530

We had 5 Escalades before our 2019 BL Nav L.  This truck is better in almost every single way compared to the other trucks.  We love the powertrain, luxury, ride quality etc.  The only 2 gripes is the infotainment system- it's a bit behind the competition (I'm being kind) and the memory function never seems to get the drivers mirror and steering wheel right (we brought it in and they tried reprogramming it but it didn't work).  We had the engine recall done but after almost 3 years and 30k miles it's been a solid truck.  We are planning on buying out the truck at the end of the lease and keeping it.  I wouldn't hesitate for a second to get one.  

17 hours ago, HofstraJet said:

Sorry to hear about your loss.

I had one of the first 18s and replaced it with a 21 when the lease expired. Very pleased with the vehicle. I drove Expeditions since the early 2000s but when I saw the new Navigator and the small price difference between it and a fully loaded Expedition, I decided to go with the Navigator and am very happy I did.

I can't speak to Z plan rules, but you can always join the Mustang Club of America for $25 and get X-plan pricing.

Lately, it seems dealers will only do X-plan on custom orders, but shop around and see what dealers in your area are offering.

Good luck!

Awesome - thank you for the tip on the X-plan! I looked into the Mustang Club and looks like there is a 90 day waiting period before you can use that benefit. Looking through some other organizations that offer that benefit but not sure if that is a 90 day thing I will run into with all of them. Will do some more digging.

14 hours ago, bbf2530 said:

Hi JO302 and welcome to the Blue Oval Forums. Concerning Z-Plan PINS...Are you sure it was not an X-Plan PIN you received from your Uncle? Technically/according to the Plan rules, nieces and nephews of a Ford Employee are not eligible for A/ZPlan PINS. Your mother/father would be, as brothers/sisters/brother-in-law/sister-in-law of your Uncle, but not you.

Those eligible for A/Z Plan PINS are as follows:

-The Ford Employee/Retiree.

-Spouse.

-Parents (including step-parents).

-Spouse's parents.

-Grandparents.

-Spouse's grandparents.  

-Sons and daughters (including in-laws and step-children).

-Grandchildren.

-Brothers and sisters (including in-laws, half and step).

-Same-sex domestic partners of active eligible employees*.

-Immediate family members of eligible same-sex domestic partners*.

-Employees of approved subsidiary companies/organizations and approved affiliated companies/organizations as eligibility is defined at the time of approval.

-When both the employee/retiree and his/her spouse are deceased, the surviving family members are no longer eligible.

So as the niece/nephew of the Ford Employee (your Uncle), it is hard to determine how you were able to receive a Z-Plan PIN, unless it was done against the rules.

No, you're probably right that it was the X plan. I think once I got either the A or Z on a Ford Lightning back in 2001 (got lucky on finding a dealer to do it), but has probably been X since. Nonetheless, now I have to find a dealer who will be willing to do it which may be tough these days. I appreciate it!

1 hour ago, Emilner said:

We had 5 Escalades before our 2019 BL Nav L.  This truck is better in almost every single way compared to the other trucks.  We love the powertrain, luxury, ride quality etc.  The only 2 gripes is the infotainment system- it's a bit behind the competition (I'm being kind) and the memory function never seems to get the drivers mirror and steering wheel right (we brought it in and they tried reprogramming it but it didn't work).  We had the engine recall done but after almost 3 years and 30k miles it's been a solid truck.  We are planning on buying out the truck at the end of the lease and keeping it.  I wouldn't hesitate for a second to get one.  

That is good to hear. Yeah, we looked at the Escalade but I have known too many people that had issues with them with pretty low miles. The new model is really tempting, but I can't see spending that much money on a GM product (unless it is a new corvette).

The current car we have is a 2019 Lexus LX570. I think the infotainment system on the Navigator is going to be way more advanced compared to what we have now. The system in that is atleast 10 years old. The main screen up front is not touch and having to use a remote for the rear seats is a pain. It's a great vehicle overall but just not for us.

1 hour ago, JO302 said:

No, you're probably right that it was the X plan. I think once I got either the A or Z on a Ford Lightning back in 2001 (got lucky on finding a dealer to do it), but has probably been X since. Nonetheless, now I have to find a dealer who will be willing to do it which may be tough these days. I appreciate it!

Hi JO302. Nieces/nephews have never been eligible for A/Z Plan purchases. So if you were able to purchase with an A/Z Plan PIN in the past, either your Uncle and the Dealership skirted the rules, or perhaps the vehicle was first registered in one of your parents name at the time of purchase? 

Anyway...It was easy before the pandemic induced shortages (i.e. 2001) to find Dealers that would accept A/Z/X Plan purchases. In fact, it would be rare to find a Dealer that would not accept A/Z/X Plan sales pre-pandemic.

Even now, it is not impossible in many areas, as long as you are willing to factory order a new vehicle and wait. But if you want to purchase a stock vehicle immediately, many Dealers will not accept A/Z/ X Plan sales, when they can sell that vehicle for MSRP or higher to the next person in the door. 

Also, it is easier to purchase A/Z/X Plan if you go in fully armed with the knowledge of how the Plan purchases work, and don't show the Dealership you are too eager to buy. Like anything else, it can be supply and demand. And if some Dealers (not all) think they have an overeager customer over a barrel and at their mercy, they will take advantage of that.

So the best thing to do is call your Dealerships, ask to speak to the Sales Manager, and ask if they will accept an X-Plan PIN sale. You will find one.

Edited by bbf2530

We have a 18. Other than very minor issues, it has been a good vehicle and we are quite pleased with it. Infotainment and camera resolution are out of date at this point. Engine is a beast (we use ours for towing a travel trailer). Great highway vehicle. Ours is from the period with engine "phasers" that go bad. That is super disappointing, but it is what it is. No plan to get rid of it. I'd buy another one.