Why The “Raptor” Won Out Over “Warthog” For The High-Performance Bronco

16 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I will say this, I think It's either going to be popular or wildly polarizing. 

From a marketing perspective that is a win-win ? 

I know someone mentioned on Bronco6g that the Warthog name might be the Sasquatch package for the warthog 

Since that meme directly references the taking of human lives, its use could be considered to be in bad taste by many, including this writer.

Lol, really?

---

Raptor makes sense given the wider track and more "desert runner" target it appears to have.  They could always use Warthog on a more rock crawl-oriented model.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I know something interesting about it that I can't share yet. I will say this, I think It's either going to be popular or wildly polarizing. 

I'll share my opinion when the details are released. 

I saw a couple of G-Wagons yesterday and couldn't help but wonder if a luxury Bronco would sell.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I know something interesting about it that I can't share yet. I will say this, I think It's either going to be popular or wildly polarizing. 

I'll share my opinion when the details are released. 

I could see it being hybrid filling that description...but it seems like a hybrid may not be in the cards for Bronco.

15 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

From a marketing perspective that is a win-win ? 

I know someone mentioned on Bronco6g that the Warthog name might be the Sasquatch package for the warthog 

How can it be a Sasquatch package? It already comes with 37” tires doesn’t?

I think ford just chickened out on a new name. At one time, no one knew the raptor name either, yet even when it was brand new, ford was selling all the raptors it could build.

21 minutes ago, akirby said:

I do t think “chicken out” is the right term.  I think they saw how much equity they’ve built with the Raptor name over the last 12 years and thought it was foolish to throw that away.

A vehicle of this type doesn’t need that equity. Bronco is one of ford’s icons. The top level trim of ford’s most exciting product in years is going to sell regardless of its name. 

I personally don’t care what they call it. I like both names, but I think ford took the easy way out here instead of trying something new that could have been really cool.

Edited by T-dubz

16 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

A vehicle of this type doesn’t need that equity. Bronco is one of ford’s icons. The top level trim of ford’s most exciting product in years is going to sell regardless of its name. 

I personally don’t care what they call it. I like both names, but I think ford took the easy way out here instead of trying something new that could have been really cool.

Probably a little of both.  Less risky and more recognizable.

10 hours ago, T-dubz said:

How can it be a Sasquatch package? It already comes with 37” tires doesn’t?

I think ford just chickened out on a new name. At one time, no one knew the raptor name either, yet even when it was brand new, ford was selling all the raptors it could build.

I meant a possible trim level of the Braptor or a equipment package. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

I meant a possible trim level of the Braptor or a equipment package. 

Hmmm, a desert runner version as well as a mudder version?

Many would like both of those…….

I’m thinking there will be up to three T6 Raptors, Everest rear panels have now been changed to allow arch extensions, presumably thanks to ground work done with 4-door Bronco’s development.

Edited by jpd80

I think having warthog and Raptor names could have been confused in the marketplace, especially if consumers see it as performing the same role as F150 or Ranger Raptor. 

Imagine the bar conversations... 

I bought a Bronco Warthog.

A what? 

Oh, it's the Raptor version of the Bronco.

Ooooh... 

That would completely defeat the purpose. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, justins said:

I think having warthog and Raptor names could have been confused in the marketplace, especially if consumers see it as performing the same role as F150 or Ranger Raptor. 

Imagine the bar conversations... 

I bought a Bronco Warthog.

A what? 

Oh, it's the Raptor version of the Bronco.

Ooooh... 

That would completely defeat the purpose. 

That's why I said above that since it follows the same pattern as Raptor with the wider track and more desert running-like focus, Raptor makes sense here.

But I do see Warthog being used on another model.

• Like 1

On 12/16/2021 at 9:36 AM, fuzzymoomoo said:

I wish 

It’s interesting to watch certain folks melt down when Ford doesn’t do what they want (SFA) and this won’t be any different but you know what, I recon plenty of people will buy Raptor anyway in spite of what non-buyer critics think.

For those who must have a V8, I’m sure that the aftermarket stands ready, there’s already V8 Ranger conversions in AUS and most likely America too.

On 12/18/2021 at 3:57 AM, jpd80 said:

For those who must have a V8, I’m sure that the aftermarket stands ready, there’s already V8 Ranger conversions in AUS and most likely America too.

You can pony up for the Multimatic built Coyote powered Bronco DR that are coming out once they are done with Ford GT production.

Ummm hey gang, am I the only one who notices that Ford likes to name vehicles with inter species names? 

I mean what does a Warthog have to do with a Bronco horse? Even worse a “Raptor” dinosaur horse? Why?

They did this with the Mustang “Cobra” as well. A horse snake?

I can see a Cobra Jet engine I guess but a whole car that is already a horse name?

What about a Coyote heart in Mustang or Bronco horse?

I mean we just seem to go along with it but I don’t think it makes sense.