Why The “Raptor” Won Out Over “Warthog” For The High-Performance Bronco

1 hour ago, Stray Kat said:

Ummm hey gang, am I the only one who notices that Ford likes to name vehicles with inter species names? 

I mean what does a Warthog have to do with a Bronco horse? Even worse a “Raptor” dinosaur horse? Why?

They did this with the Mustang “Cobra” as well. A horse snake?

I can see a Cobra Jet engine I guess but a whole car that is already a horse name?

What about a Coyote heart in Mustang or Bronco horse?

I mean we just seem to go along with it but I don’t think it makes sense. 

Fuzzy’s right—you’re overthinking this. The Mustang Cobra came from the Shelby Cobra tie-in—plus, you forgot the Torino Cobra. And raptors were birds of prey (hawks, eagles, falcons, etc) long before the term got associated with dinosaurs. 

Also, I’d bet you’d find at least as many  Coyotes in F-150s as in Mustangs, so the pattern pretty much falls apart completely there…

25 minutes ago, SoonerLS said:

And raptors were birds of prey (hawks, eagles, falcons, etc) long before the term got associated with dinosaurs. 

Actually the first velociraptors where discovered and named in 1923.

The name didn't get really popular till the movie Jurassic Park came out in 1993

3 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Actually the first velociraptors where discovered and named in 1923.

The name didn't get really popular till the movie Jurassic Park came out in 1993

According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, "raptor" was first used in relation to birds of prey in 1873. The velociraptor may have been named in 1923, but the term "raptor" wasn't widely associated with dinosaurs until Jurassic Park, and the "raptors" in the movie were an invention for the movie. In the novel and in real life, velociraptors were about the size of a chicken.

7 hours ago, SoonerLS said:

According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, "raptor" was first used in relation to birds of prey in 1873. The velociraptor may have been named in 1923, but the term "raptor" wasn't widely associated with dinosaurs until Jurassic Park, and the "raptors" in the movie were an invention for the movie. In the novel and in real life, velociraptors were about the size of a chicken.

Also, the first fossils were incomplete and the velociraptor was believed to be a bird, or at least be a reptile capable of flight originally.

4 hours ago, Stray Kat said:

Ooookayyy, just an observation on my part. 

I think it says more about the power of marketing and advertising that a perception of the vehicles is concocted via word association. It’s amazing how people’s brains work that they look beyond the conflict you see……

Edited by jpd80

On 12/26/2021 at 10:27 PM, SoonerLS said:

Actually-got this from Wikipedia:

Velociraptor are well known for their role as vicious and cunning killers thanks to their portrayal in the 1990 novel Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton and its 1993 film adaptation, directed by Steven Spielberg. The "raptors" portrayed in Jurassic Park were actually modeled after the closely related dromaeosaurid Deinonychus. Paleontologists in both the novel and film excavate a skeleton in Montana, far from the central Asian range of Velociraptor but characteristic of the Deinonychus range. Crichton used the controversial taxonomy proposed by Gregory S. Paul, even though the "raptors" in the novel are at another point referred to as V. mongoliensis.[46] Crichton met with the discoverer of Deinonychus, John Ostrom, several times at Yale University to discuss details of the animal's possible range of behaviors and appearance. Crichton at one point apologetically told Ostrom that he had decided to use the name Velociraptor in place of Deinonychus because the former name was "more dramatic." According to Ostrom, Crichton stated that the Velociraptor of the novel was based on Deinonychus in almost every detail, and that only the name had been changed.[47] The Jurassic Park filmmakers also requested all of Ostrom's published papers on Deinonychus during production.[47] They portrayed the animals with the size, proportions, and snout shape of Deinonychus rather than Velociraptor.[48][49]

Production on Jurassic Park began before the discovery of the large dromaeosaurid Utahraptor was made public in 1991, but as Jody Duncan wrote about this discovery: "Later, after we had designed and built the Raptor, there was a discovery of a Raptor skeleton in Utah, which they labeled 'super-slasher.' They had uncovered the largest Velociraptor to date and it measured five-and-a-half-feet tall, just like ours. So we designed it, we built it, and then they discovered it. That still boggles my mind."[48] Spielberg was particularly pleased with the discovery of the Utahraptor because of the boost it gave to the velociraptors in his film. Spielberg's name was briefly considered for naming of the new dinosaur.[50] In reality, Velociraptor, like many other maniraptoran theropods, was covered in feathers.[19]

TLDR-They based it off a dinosaur called Deinonychus, but called it a Velociraptor because it sounded cool, then someone found a new Dinosaur called the Utahraptor that was very similar to what was in the movie right around the time it was released...