I'm gonna get a new truck every year.

Fogbelly

Oooh, sounds like someone with money to burn. I wish I could do that but depending on how you do it the negative equity will kill you eventually if you don't keep an eye on your resales. I bought a 2021 F250 XLT in March this year, turned around, and ordered an F350 in June.  Per the dealer when I ordered it they said they would take my F250 off my hands as a trade-in at almost what I bought it for it.  I likely would lose very little on the deal since inventories are so strained these days.  Fast forward 5 1/2 months, I went to the dealer this past Friday, the day after my F350 went into production, and was quoted about 14K less trade-in value for the F250 than what I owe on it!  I have NO idea what I am going to do now.  Selling privately would get me more I think, but all the paperwork and legal mess make me want to not hassle with it. I have about a month to figure something out.  Stuff is so complicated these days involving vehicle sales.  Frustrated in Florida....

6 hours ago, Fogbelly said:

I bet I can sell my 2022 for at or near what I paid for it and buy a new 2023.

Naturally the 2023 will cost more but I can recoup all or most when I sell it for a 2024.

As long as demand stays strong I can have a new truck every year for a few thousand $$.

I was thinking the same thing until today. I talked to my dealer and he said if i would have traded my truck (2020 cc 4x4 lariat diesel with 16k miles) in today vs back in sept I would have gotten $15K less today. back in Sept. I got $12k more than I paid for it but I also got the truck for 12k off the msrp. This time I only got $7k off the msrp. 

FOG you might want to rethink this IMO

10 hours ago, bhidalgo63 said:

Oooh, sounds like someone with money to burn. I wish I could do that but depending on how you do it the negative equity will kill you eventually if you don't keep an eye on your resales. I bought a 2021 F250 XLT in March this year, turned around, and ordered an F350 in June.  Per the dealer when I ordered it they said they would take my F250 off my hands as a trade-in at almost what I bought it for it.  I likely would lose very little on the deal since inventories are so strained these days.  Fast forward 5 1/2 months, I went to the dealer this past Friday, the day after my F350 went into production, and was quoted about 14K less trade-in value for the F250 than what I owe on it!  I have NO idea what I am going to do now.  Selling privately would get me more I think, but all the paperwork and legal mess make me want to not hassle with it. I have about a month to figure something out.  Stuff is so complicated these days involving vehicle sales.  Frustrated in Florida....

Have you tried other dealers, Carvana, Vroom, etc.?  There are a multitude of car buying companies out there that will likely pay you a great deal more than you current dealership.  Shop it around and then let your current dealer meet or beat your highest offer, otherwise sell it to the highest bidder.

21 minutes ago, FloralIndustries said:

Have you tried other dealers, Carvana, Vroom, etc.?  There are a multitude of car buying companies out there that will likely pay you a great deal more than you current dealership.  Shop it around and then let your current dealer meet or beat your highest offer, otherwise sell it to the highest bidder.

Carvana is a joke when it comes to buying your vehicle - just out of curiosity I inputted my 2021 Corsair in to see what they would offer, 10K less than what I paid when I bought it two months prior. Now I understand they are in the business of making money, but really?? 10K less?? Also something to think about and I don't know how or if sales tax is collected where the OP lives, but here in NY, when you trade in, you only pay the tax on the difference, so selling it outright would lose that benefit here.

Edited by twintornados

34 minutes ago, twintornados said:

Carvana is a joke when it comes to buying your vehicle - just out of curiosity I inputted my 2021 Corsair in to see what they would offer, 10K less than what I paid when I bought it two months prior. Now I understand they are in the business of making money, but really?? 10K less?? Also something to think about and I don't know how or if sales tax is collected where the OP lives, but here in NY, when you trade in, you only pay the tax on the difference, so selling it outright would lose that benefit here.

But did you get quotes from anyone else to compare?  $10k less might be a good price.  The market is different for different vehicles.  

I got a quote from Carvana on my Super Duty a couple weeks ago, and it was $9k less than I paid for it new...5 years and 50k miles ago.  The value was about $7k more than Carmax, but was about $10-12k less than private party sale.

It was more for curiosity's sake because I can't sell yet since nobody knows when my new truck will be in.

1 hour ago, twintornados said:

Carvana is a joke when it comes to buying your vehicle - just out of curiosity I inputted my 2021 Corsair in to see what they would offer, 10K less than what I paid when I bought it two months prior. Now I understand they are in the business of making money, but really??

I went thru a similar exercise with Vroom. I have a company car that I am eligible to buy when my next one shows-up in a few weeks. The offer they gave me was  nearly 1/3rd of what they are asking for a similar vehicle that they have for sale.  Buy low, sell high!

HRG

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

I went thru a similar exercise with Vroom. I have a company car that I am eligible to buy when my next one shows-up in a few weeks. The offer they gave me was  nearly 1/3rd of what they are asking for a similar vehicle that they have for sale.  Buy low, sell high!

HRG

Well it is wholesale vs retail otherwise dealers don’t make any profit.  But 1/3 is clearly a lowball.

You also have to keep in mind that a dealer may not want a particular vehicle if they don’t think it will sell easily or if they already have too many in stock.  A different dealer might have a totally different situation and offer.

46 minutes ago, akirby said:

Well it is wholesale vs retail otherwise dealers don’t make any profit.  But 1/3 is clearly a lowball.

You also have to keep in mind that a dealer may not want a particular vehicle if they don’t think it will sell easily or if they already have too many in stock.  A different dealer might have a totally different situation and offer.

Well, it IS a Dodge,,,,   I'll wait to see what the fleet company wants for it, and determine if it's worth buying as a "gap" vehicle between my retirement and the Next-Gen (2024?) NA Ranger .

HRG

On 12/16/2021 at 8:44 PM, bhidalgo63 said:

I don't know about FL, but in AZ selling private party is easy.