So what happens to 2022 used prices if 2023.....

I dont think an "ugly duckling" would have any role in prices above and beyond the already hot truck market. The bigger factor will be if ford can sort out their supply chain issues.

At the end of the day if someone wants a new truck they will buy a new truck. If they dont like the ford they will probably look at other makes rather then buying something used.

10 years from now when they are both used trucks the story might be different.

Edited by mattdm
  • Like 1

I personally don't care for those at all. Especially the mirrors, they are aweful.  I don't think ford would ruin such a beautiful truck with something like that....but, if they did, and I wanted anew truck, I'd just find a like new older style, but I don't think I'd be willing to pay any significant premium for and old model year

Does it change when they get rid of an engine like when the 73 went away and they added the 6.(whatever it is) diesel, and then people realize they weren't really too happy with the Next Generation diesel. Was it hard to find 73 diesel trucks because people were jumping on them or did it not really phase anything.

I'm just going but what I've heard friends/coworkers talk about. Seems like most people loved the 73 but not heard anything good said about the 6.0 or the 6.4 (I think those were the numbers that were spoken at times)

Edited by IUEC135ELEVATOR

10 hours ago, IUEC135ELEVATOR said:

Does it change when they get rid of an engine like when the 73 went away and they added the 6.(whatever it is) diesel, and then people realize they weren't really too happy with the Next Generation diesel. Was it hard to find 73 diesel trucks because people were jumping on them or did it not really phase anything.

I'm just going but what I've heard friends/coworkers talk about. Seems like most people loved the 73 but not heard anything good said about the 6.0 or the 6.4 (I think those were the numbers that were spoken at times)

yes, Certain Engines certainly become more desirable as time goes on, but we are talking 10+ years down the road when they are all "old trucks".

The 7.3 was the "one to have". Its a dinosaur now though and tough to find a clean truck with one. A properly built 6.0 is a good motor, and there are lots of people opting for that lately. The 6.4 is certainly an "ugly duckling". The first gen 6.7 are starting to get down into the affordable range for the masses and will be the next 7.3 IMO.

The 6.7 has had a very long life for a ford diesel. Im curious how far we are from seeing a new diesel from ford.

Edited by mattdm

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/18/2021 at 7:25 AM, mattdm said:

yes, Certain Engines certainly become more desirable as time goes on, but we are talking 10+ years down the road when they are all "old trucks".

The 7.3 was the "one to have". Its a dinosaur now though and tough to find a clean truck with one. A properly built 6.0 is a good motor, and there are lots of people opting for that lately. The 6.4 is certainly an "ugly duckling". The first gen 6.7 are starting to get down into the affordable range for the masses and will be the next 7.3 IMO.

The 6.7 has had a very long life for a ford diesel. Im curious how far we are from seeing a new diesel from ford.

Knock on wood, my 2009 6.4 has been a pretty good truck  aside from wear and tear, a PS leak, and the dreaded moon roof slide problem which I fixed myself.  I have ran a tune on it for the last 50k and have just under 100k on it.

On 12/17/2021 at 8:25 PM, mattdm said:

I agree with the 6.7 becoming the new “one to have” like the 7.3 did. I have a first gen 6.7 and it’s been a great motor.

I’m hoping they don’t go crazy on the redesign in 2023 if it actually happens. But I feel like every redesign has had to grow on me for a little while too. I wasn’t a fan in 2017 when the new body style came out, but partially because I loved the look of my 2013. 

I would never buy a GM product, but I like the look of the front of those trucks, especially in person. The stock photos don't really do them justice.

I think with model changes there are always going to be two camps, the ones who love it and the ones who hate it, but it's all subjective. I wouldn't want an early production example of a new model though, not until some revisions have been made.

The Chevy HD redesign is the primary reason I ordered a 22 F350.  I have had 8 or 9 new Chevy trucks until now.  Even with the obsolete technology and crappy interior I would have bought another one if it wasn't so darn fugly.  I had a '15 1500, '17 1500, '19 3500 and the interiors and features were identical - except the '19 LTZ still ran halogen headlights and no LEDs anywhere.  Chevy didn't update anything in those trucks in over 5 years.  No blind spot monitoring, no adaptive cruise, no DEF gauge, small screen, no TPMS for the truck in the '19.  GM is focused on EVs and the brand loyalists that will buy a GM product because they always buy a GM product.  Look at Cadillac as a prime example.  Cadillac SUVs are just overpriced versions of the Suburban or Traverse.  They offer nothing interesting, premium, or different other than the grill emblem and sticker price. 

• Like 3