Adaptive cruise - interesting behaviors notation

road turtle

If system slows down due to traffic in front of you, turning on the left turn signal, vehicle starts speeding up even before changing lanes.

system absolutely hates someone crossing lanes in front of you, to the point of slamming on the brakes.  I've gotten in the habit of tapping brakes or canceling cruise when I see it coming.

When the system applies the brakes and traffic in front of you is pulling away, it's still applying brakes.  I found apply some pressure to money pedal will force the system to remove brake pressure.  Behavior seems to be worse when towing, but I have very little time behind the wheel not towing.

1 hour ago, road turtle said:

If system slows down due to traffic in front of you, turning on the left turn signal, vehicle starts speeding up even before changing lanes.

system absolutely hates someone crossing lanes in front of you, to the point of slamming on the brakes.  I've gotten in the habit of tapping brakes or canceling cruise when I see it coming.

When the system applies the brakes and traffic in front of you is pulling away, it's still applying brakes.  I found apply some pressure to money pedal will force the system to remove brake pressure.  Behavior seems to be worse when towing, but I have very little time behind the wheel not towing.

Did you try changing the sensitivity/distance settings? 

1 hour ago, road turtle said:

I've noticed some of that as well. I almost didn't order it on the 22, but I do like it on two lane highways when I am following another vehicle or someone that I am ok with their speed. Using it on the freeway creates more issues than it solves IMO.

1 hour ago, Robin Hood said:

I've noticed some of that as well. I almost didn't order it on the 22, but I do like it on two lane highways when I am following another vehicle or someone that I am ok with their speed. Using it on the freeway creates more issues than it solves IMO.

Personal preference but, given a choice, I'd never want to drive another vehicle without Adaptive Cruise. 

• Like 5

As Road Turtle says in his post, I have experienced these same characteristics of the adaptive cruise on my 2018 F150 and my 2021 F350.  I have manipulated the distances but the adaptive cruise acts similar regardless of settings.  The F350 KR I test drove before ordering my 2021 F350 seemed to respond quite differently.  Not near as much abrupt braking and accelerating.  I ordered adaptive cruise on my new truck which I regret now as I run it in the Normal Cruise mode all the time.

On 12/19/2021 at 10:27 AM, ice-capades said:

Did you try changing the sensitivity/distance settings? 

How do change the sensitivity/ distance setting? I have order it for my new truck and have it another car but haven't seen any adjustments for it.

• 7 months later...

Sorry to dredge up an old topic, but after taking my truck around town and on a couple of multi-hour highway trips, I’ve got a question.

When the system is engaged and starts slowing me down, can I tell if it’s braking or just letting up on the throttle?  I can tell when it’s braking for a more dramatic slowdown, and I presume the brake lights are illuminating.  I would hate to get rear-ended because someone following (too closely) didn’t notice my slowing without the brake lights coming on.

BTW, I really LOVE the Adaptive Cruise!

15 hours ago, marinerjoe said:

Sorry to dredge up an old topic, but after taking my truck around town and on a couple of multi-hour highway trips, I’ve got a question.

When the system is engaged and starts slowing me down, can I tell if it’s braking or just letting up on the throttle?  I can tell when it’s braking for a more dramatic slowdown, and I presume the brake lights are illuminating.  I would hate to get rear-ended because someone following (too closely) didn’t notice my slowing without the brake lights coming on.

Good question, and potentially a fantastic suggestion.

I know some vehicles like Honda Civic has graphics in the instrument cluster for headlamp and taillight indicators and it would be cool to use in conjunction with adaptive cruise control.

2022_honda_civic_62_1920x1080.jpg

2022_Honda_Civic_Touring_7.jpg

9dda6abb974edac28ced565e42d8c59450bba910.jpg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, marinerjoe said:

If the system is braking, it does activate brake lights, just as if you had braked.

dlghtjr90, there are graphics on the screen for SD too.  Looks a little different than Honda's but it is there.

• Like 2

As to the abrupt braking if someone goes in front of you and the slight speeding up if you change lanes, I was in a Subaru rental last week, and it did the same exact things. Maybe ice-capades or a kirby know, are these proprietary to Ford or made by a company and sold to all the manufacturers? Guessing the latter. The symbology on the steering wheel controls is typically the same in various vehicles I have seen. 

4 hours ago, road turtle said:

Just ran a quick errand and was able to get behind a truck.  Cruise was set at 64, and yes I know speed limit is 55 :)  The car emblem shows up when it's tracking a car, and the brake lights are lit on the icon when it is slower than the set speed.

adaptive cruise (2).jpg

I'll have to see if my Pacifica does that but really it seems like I would actually have to look for that in which case it would be easier to look speed setting and actual speed.  I'd rather have something more noticeable drawing my attention to the problem. 

Edited by 4thTimer