Extended warranty for 7.3 lariat - worth it?

Benny

I never buy warranties and don't even insure all my trailers since they are covered for liability attached to the vehicle. However, this time I bought warranties for both of my 22 diesels. Just under $3K for 8yr/125K miles premium care, on an $80K truck seemed pretty reasonable to me. Besides, Ford gave me a $2500 PCO on both trucks, so why not give back a little and get some piece of mind.

Edited by Robin Hood

On 12/22/2021 at 7:55 PM, Robin Hood said:

Search on-line to get the best price. My dealer wouldn't touch the offer I got on-line. He said it was below his cost?‍♂️. Not sure I believe that, but he also said he needed to make $500 minimum to sell one. I bought two trucks from him at X-Prcing and offered to buy both warranties from him.

I was told a similar thing by my dealer today.  Said Flood Ford's price was $500 under what they were charged.

.Most people end up trading their Vehicles long before the warranties go out..... the extended warranty is great for somebody like myself that keeps vehicles for a long time and keeps the mileage low.

My wife's Buick Encore is a 2015 and we just hit 50k miles on it 

But then again we haven't had anything go wrong with it and it is 7 years old. So if I would have bought the warranty it would have been a waste...

But then again if one thing would have gone wrong I would have broke even on the warranty.

Also you paid $2,000 for a warranty now( well for my F350 the highest warranty package for me is like $2,100 eight years 100,000 miles and covers pretty much everything)

8 years from now parts prices will go up, labor will go up.

So my thinking is 8 years from now what kind of repair will $2,100 get me.

Do I have the money to pay for it without batting an eye, definitely but I also like to think long-term and how can I keep my money.

Yeah I agree with most of you the extended warranty is a crapshoot if you don't buy it and need it you're going to wish you did when you're dishing out the 2 3k for a repair, and like the,  Buick if you bought it and you don't need it well then it was just a waste of money.

My wife's explorer had a steering rack go out over the 3 years, but under the 36K milage. It was quoted at $1600 to repair it. I got Ford to cover it, but it took a month to get it approved and get it done. If I had had the warranty it would have been a non-issue. I never considered the warranty for her car. Now the transaxle side shaft seal is weeping at 50K miles. She is easy on t he car, they just don't build stuff like they used to.

On a diesel truck the cab has to come off for any major engine work and the emissions is no joke and can cost a small fortune. Then there is the electronics, labor cost going up, and commodity prices increasing. Again, I am not a big fan of warranties, but at $3K for 125K miles and 8 years I think it is worth it.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, akirby said:

Engines and transmissions routinely go 150k-200k even 250k with just regular maintenance.   So it’s a good thing they don’t build them like they used to,

Sure, but a diesels used to go 500K and I could let it idle all day long with none of the emissions crap.