Transmission or Bronco Sport

So I just found out today that my 2016 Ford edge with about 76k miles needs a full transmission replacement which sounds like it'll cost around $7k. I'm considering buying a bronco sport instead of spending the $ on the transmission. So far every dealer I've checked is over msrp. Anyone have any strategies or ideas on how to not get completely ripped off? (Keeping in mind I can only go without a vehicle for a limited amount of time). I used to be a Mustang club member but the membership lapsed and it looks like you need to be a member for 90 days now for a x pin.

You can get a used tranny for way less than $7k.  You’re not going to find a stock Bronco Sport or Maverick at MSRP or less.  You can probably order one at MSRP but it will take a long time.  If you really want a BS or Maverick go order one and fix the tranny and keep driving the edge until it comes in.

3 hours ago, Maegar said:

So I just found out today that my 2016 Ford edge with about 76k miles needs a full transmission replacement which sounds like it'll cost around $7k. I'm considering buying a bronco sport instead of spending the $ on the transmission. So far every dealer I've checked is over msrp. Anyone have any strategies or ideas on how to not get completely ripped off? (Keeping in mind I can only go without a vehicle for a limited amount of time). I used to be a Mustang club member but the membership lapsed and it looks like you need to be a member for 90 days now for a x pin.

Instead of spending $7k on a replacement gearbox, could you get a low mileage second hand unit from a wrecking yard?

If it’s a good runner, your Edge would sell for a good price at the moment..

Don’t take it to a dealer. Find an established transmission shop. They should be able to rebuild it for half what you were quoted. Might as well get it fixed - you’ll get dinged the cost of the repair when you trade or sell it anyway. You will likely get a lot better deal on the vehicles you mentioned a year from now. 

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2021 at 9:47 PM, akirby said:

You can get a used tranny for way less than $7k.  You’re not going to find a stock Bronco Sport or Maverick at MSRP or less.  You can probably order one at MSRP but it will take a long time.  If you really want a BS or Maverick go order one and fix the tranny and keep driving the edge until it comes in.

^this....Id check with the Dealer you are considering ordering through regarding the "X" plan right now, I think theres not too many honoring that route right now due to the supply bottleneck.

Edited by Deanh

I’d definitely find a used transmission and local shop to have it installed. 
Here is a site I used a lot when I had my independent shop years ago. not sure what combo you need but fix the car first before you trade flip it or you will never get top dollar. I’d leave out the fact I changed transmissions since this alone would concern me as a buyer. 

good luck 

https://www.car-part.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi

10 hours ago, blazerdude20 said:

Have you tried calling Ford corporate? My sister had to have her transmission replaced in her 2016 Escape over summer (100k+ miles). $5,500 at the dealership, but Ford stepped up and paid 70% of the cost. Only $1,650 out of pocket. 

Another option is to spend time getting estimates from different dealers and reputable repair shops. At 58,000 miles the trans on my Bronco ll at the time failed and Tom Holzer Ford wanted $3,500 to replace it. Took it to Gaylord Ford and they did the job for $1,500 with lifetime warranty and trans lasted up to 225,000 miles when I sold the vehicle. 

• Like 1

On 12/25/2021 at 1:39 AM, FordBuyer said:

Another option is to spend time getting estimates from different dealers and reputable repair shops. At 58,000 miles the trans on my Bronco ll at the time failed and Tom Holzer Ford wanted $3,500 to replace it. Took it to Gaylord Ford and they did the job for $1,500 with lifetime warranty and trans lasted up to 225,000 miles when I sold the vehicle. 

This is an excellent example of why a second opinion is essential.