Should I Drop Spray-in Bedliner?

Staycee

Well dropping the bedliner is easy enough to do. I can always go to Line-X to have that done. However, dropping the 5th wheel prep is a bit more complicated. It includes the 5th wheel connector and wiring harness for the bed for the pigtail connection, along with the chassis brackets, etc. That's something I'll need when camping season rolls around. So that's something I don't want to drop unless I absolutely have to.

Was at dealer on Wednesday, told me bed covers and spray in liner were 27 weeks out and 5th wheel prep 20 weeks. I dropped spray in bed liner and bed cover on Dec 1st, got scheduled on Dec 16th. Truck was ordered July 21st. Sat a priority 2 for a long time. 

5 hours ago, Mbrooks44 said:

Plenty of aftermarket setups which can be installed. Look at the B&W turnover ball

I'm the same as Atlas Blue. I'm happy to wait for the 5th wheel prep, which I have had on my 2 previous trucks.

Very happy with our 25K Reese Elite hitch and no desire to change to another brand. In addition to the puck system, the 5th wheel prep also provides the additional trailer connection in the bed. In 9 yrs of 5th wheel ownership, I have never used, or even tried the bumper connection.

I've been very happy with the Ford 5th wheel prep and have no desire to go aftermarket, unless it provided the same options as the Ford system with the Reese Elite hitch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1972Mach1 said:

Yep, I cannot fathom how the heck ford can have supply issues with something like the fifth wheel prep package. 

Try fathoming all the ships stuck at sea because there aren’t enough workers or trucks to unload them or enough trucks to get the parts delivered or the factories that don’t have  enough workers.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Mbrooks44 said:

I think when you force closures, the ships didn’t stop. Now they can’t work quick enough to offload and if you change any of their working conditions their union fights it. 

Here we go again....all of the issues getting trucks built (and hold ups/delays and production issues across the globe with every other product you can think of)

......and it's the Unions that are the root cause???

Edit.....

Story here....

You can tell by my name I work on elevators and yes I am Union.

Well a year-and-a-half ago all of service repair techs in the elevator industry with all the big companies, Schindler, ThyssenKrupp, Otis, Kone ( and other companies) across the entire United States got cut back to 32 or even worse 24 hours a week all in the name of covid.

This went on for about 4 months until customers across the US started screaming that the companies are not fulfilling their obligatory contracts.

Well after thousands of pissed off customers yelled loud enough.. elevator companies decided to put the guys back working and fulfilling the service contracts that they agreed upon.

4 months of not doing service, maintenance and repair, putting it all on hold created all kinds of issues as you can imagine.

Let's fast-forward till the end of the year, companies were claiming record profits. ( one of the large 4 that I work for actually came across in a zoom meeting with us and was bragging about how great their profit was and thanked us for helping them do this) Good job guys!??

Immediately after our four months of working 24 hours a week the companies were having us work lots of overtime and charging customers for services that normally would have been done on regular time. ( it didn't faze us too much because we were making the money back that we lost and the time off)

The union (my union,, the elevator union)allowed the elevator companies to do this because they thought it would help the companies survive this "pandemic" and also keep thousands of service techs working and hopefully there would be no mass layoffs......Only to find out later that the elevator companies were still charging customers, keeping service contracts in full force and this allowed the companys to make massive profits. The income was still coming in, but labor cost were to a percentage.

So who got hurt?  We were all cut back to 24 hours a week or 32 or whichever, the customers received only a fraction of what they were paying for. 

But the stockholders were riding this wave as far as they could and loving it.

But you know the funny thing about it is, many of the customers were led to believe it was the union making this situation more difficult for the elevator companies to do what needed to be done. Of course the elevator company deflects and tells this to a few customers, word travels around from customer to customer and then a few people think they know what's really going on and embellish....... and then we are hearing from our customers that us Union guys are the reason that their elevators are neglected and they are getting charged so much for needed repair work ASAP.....LOL

The yes I know he did not say that it was the root cause, I was being slightly facetious there.

Lots of teeth or spokes on a Cog. I tend to believe more these commodity restrictions has nothing to do with 1 little tooth. Right now it is supply and demand and that's what brings out the Power Players. The demand is screaming high right now which makes resources that much more valuable.

Everybody's looking at this as there are villains involved, but there are no villains it is pure capitalism at its finest.

We don't have hundreds of boats sitting out at Sea waiting to be unloaded.(and yes I know no one actually said that....I'm saying that)

What we have is this.... Ford already has prices set on these trucks, so when their suppliers suppliers suppliers come in and say will your materials to produce this bed liner (or chip or steering or this or that....blah blah blahh) had just doubled or tripled, Ford has to backup and punt, they can't buy that or they will lose money. So now Ford has to find another supplier or renegotiate or threaten breach of contract of supplier... does not happen overnight and the supplier of the supplier of the supplier sometimes does not care what one company says when there's four other companies willing to pay more.

They have to play the game of who is going to sell me this product at the price I am willing to pay.

When times are good the supply is high and the demand is low everything flows nice and smooth.

Now that the table has turned and the demand is high the supply is low everybody is playing this stupid cat and mouse game, it's happening across the board everywhere and it's very well known.

So yes to say that the reason we can't get our bed liners in is PARTLY because the union with the Dock workers is making things more difficult is just preposterous. ITS MANY MANY MANY REASONS.

Also keep in mind those Dock Workers have been out of work like a lot of other places you don't think they would love the overtime right now.....lol

Edited by IUEC135ELEVATOR
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, IUEC135ELEVATOR said:

Here we go again....all of the issues getting trucks built (and hold ups/delays and production issues across the globe with every other product you can think of)

......and it's the Unions that are the root cause???

He didn’t say unions were the root cause.  He said unions can make it harder for companies to catch up with forced overtime or bringing in additional workers or changing work rules which is true.

Even if you think I'm just blabbing away at the mouth and have no idea what I'm talking about. Look where these companies ( Ford, Frigidaire, Kubota, Goodyear, whatever). And see where they are getting their parts or materials from and check out some stock prices.

I am not investing into the end companies right now, I am investing into the first, second and third links in the chain.

Why are the beginning links doing so well right now....????

Sorry for the long winded blabbering again...had a good bit to drink last night....lots of peanut butter whiskey editing?

Edited by IUEC135ELEVATOR

Have the bed liner sprayed in locally. The difference in cost was minimal, and you can find a shop that will back out the bolts before spraying in. Having the bolts holding the bed on the frame sprayed means the liner is damaged if the bed ever has to come off for repair work.

14 hours ago, jd_lover said:

Have the bed liner sprayed in locally. The difference in cost was minimal, and you can find a shop that will back out the bolts before spraying in. Having the bolts holding the bed on the frame sprayed means the liner is damaged if the bed ever has to come off for repair work.

Yes, this is key. Need to find a Line-X or Rhino Liner shop that will back the bed mount bolts out and plug them when they spray. The lifetime warranty on Line-X is better than the 3 year Ford factory liner. I pulled it from my order too in an attempt to speed up my delivery. Still no word since I’m waiting on a 450, but fingers crossed. 

I had the spray-in bedliner and 5th wheel prep on my F-250 Lariat order and left both on the order. It took 5 months to get built and my scheduled build date was moved back eight times over four months of being scheduled and re-scheduled. However, every time I asked my dealer about why I was being pushed back, they said it was chips! I even stood there while the sales manager called his factory rep to find out why I was being pushed back and the rep said "It is chips". Now, don't get me wrong, I really believe "chips" is the easy answer and anybody that can use that excuse will use it if it means they don't have to expend any effort to find out the real cause. As was stated above, there are a lot of various reasons for production slow downs so I think if you ordered the truck you should get it the way you want it. I have also seen lots of folks get their trucks in two months with the factory spray-in and 5th wheel prep (which drove me crazy trying to figure out how). There is no rhyme or reason to it. Just order what you want and sit back and relax.

On 1/5/2022 at 12:17 AM, EA1205 said:

Yes, this is key. Need to find a Line-X or Rhino Liner shop that will back the bed mount bolts out and plug them when they spray. The lifetime warranty on Line-X is better than the 3 year Ford factory liner. I pulled it from my order too in an attempt to speed up my delivery. Still no word since I’m waiting on a 450, but fingers crossed. 

Yeah, it makes sense.  I really like the idea of the lifetime warranty versus 3 years!

21 minutes ago, lisadsayre said:

When paying nearly as much for a truck as we did for our very first house, I am just not willing to drop anything off my wish list.  I believe I will drop the whole order before I forego something at these kind of prices

Yeah, I felt this way too, but then someone pointed out that the bed liner would have a lifetime warranty with line x instead of Ford’s 3 years.  I wouldn’t drop anything else though.

• Like 2

Ordered my KR F350 on 9/22 with 5th wheel prep and spray in bed liner. Dropped both options week of Dec 6th, truck was scheduled for production Dec 16th for Feb 7th.  When I ordered the truck I was thrilled to get these options and not have to have them done after the fact.  On my previous 3 Super Duties I’ve always had Line X and B&W hitches so decided to go that route again.  Now the hitch is always in the bed, no need to store the ball anywhere else.  One concern is apparently to replace rear shocks I will have to loosen and move  part of the hitch….  For me it came down to needing the truck before April when I get very busy and still being able to have these options.  The up-fitter installing the hitch is also putting a 7 pin in the bed.  

40 minutes ago, Levi’sFord said:

Ordered my KR F350 on 9/22 with 5th wheel prep and spray in bed liner. Dropped both options week of Dec 6th, truck was scheduled for production Dec 16th for Feb 7th.  When I ordered the truck I was thrilled to get these options and not have to have them done after the fact.  On my previous 3 Super Duties I’ve always had Line X and B&W hitches so decided to go that route again.  Now the hitch is always in the bed, no need to store the ball anywhere else.  One concern is apparently to replace rear shocks I will have to loosen and move  part of the hitch….  For me it came down to needing the truck before April when I get very busy and still being able to have these options.  The up-fitter installing the hitch is also putting a 7 pin in the bed.  

Yes, same idea here.  We are hoping to have it by May as we have some camping trips booked with our new travel trailer.  Hopefully dropping it will result in getting scheduled at least.

4 hours ago, akirby said:

I have line-x on my F150 and it still looks brand new after 4 years and performs great.

Totally agree with Line-X, as I had it on both previous trucks. On the 2016 DRW, I did a 3-month project in the back garden than included the truck hauling about 20 loads of 1.5 yds gravel and about 10 loads of dirt. Once finished, powerwashed the back and it looked almost new, with zero coating damage.