TPMS/Camera/yaw sensor install

road turtle

Since it was ordered from the factory with backup assist, the connector was already installed in the truck bed.

Right or wrong, I made the pigtails for the 10(?) pin connector same length at 7 pin.  I would have preferred the camera wire be a touch longer.  Came across the ceiling of the pin box area and down the front, into the empty space to the side of the front storage area.  Had lots and lots of extra cable, but the 5th wheel is only 30' long.  Wires were attached to the I beam using cable clips and beam clamps.  I had originally intended to use beam clamps and change my mind, then went with clips.  Final job, used beam clamps to get around some vertical reinforcements around the tires.

Camera, boy would I love to get ahold of the engineer for the camera itself.  It is retained by protrusions on the bracket, and there's a tolerance issue between the case protrusions to the bracket,  Not a big deal, but that's not the way it designed to work.  Also, the "cage" to retain the to position nuts does not properly retain the nuts, I had to open the housing up several times and not breathe on it while climbing the ladder to attach it.  Also, the provided nuts, with a flange, are backwards to the way they should be.  Camera is installed and provides an extremely clear picture.  Looking forward to being able drive down the road and see what is going on behind me on the large center stack screen.  It would be nice i could go into split screen too, but haven't seen the ability to do that.

Yaw sensor is supposed to work with the backup system, but haven't figured out if it's even working.  I was kind of waiting until I got the camera installed to really test it out.  I'm struggling to figure out how it recognizes movement attached to the pin box.  System was bought for my wife's benefit.  I had the opportunity to trial it before it was introduced, couldn't use it then either.  I have decades of experience pulling trailers, and didn't find the system an aid for me, but my wife will probably quickly pick it up.

TPMS, {sigh}.  Sensors were supposed to be installed a week before we left.  Tire store called me the night before my appointment and literally the one day I had available to have them installed, they were completely out of staff, nada, none.  Now that we are parked for a few months, I'm going to have to take the wheels off one my one and run them up to tire store near here.  I really

All in all, I like the wired camera and how it integrates into the truck.  If I didn't have the system available, I would be getting a wireless halo system with the side camera and split screen.

4 hours ago, IUEC135ELEVATOR said:

What is a yaw sensor?

I'm almost embarrassed to not know exactly how if functions, but I believe it to be part of the backup assist option, and it determines when the trailer is switching directions.  I'm skeptical that it can determine movement when attached to the pin box.

Couple of pics for the install.  I didn't leave quite as much slack as I had intended here, but cable is not tight.  Like I said above, getting the wire through the rear cap was a bit more difficult than I had expected.  Had to remove the top left light to avoid getting my fish tape stuck again.

image.png.4fe26b18ffc9404b746dc0fed1aea6bb.png

Nice big screen is nice :)

image.png.0ffdcc7b99cb55b269628c6c26dbacab.png

Road,

A couple of questions:

1.  Is your trailer a bumper pull or 5er?  I'm having trouble getting the back-up assist to work with my bumper pull, using the stickers to detect motion.  My harness has the yaw sensor pigtail, but I'm hesitant to get the sensor as it's not clear if it will work with the bumper pull.

2.  You typed: "I'm struggling to figure out how it recognizes movement attached to the pin box." What is the pin box?

I like the camera quality as well, but am disappointed that the housing does not completely enclose the camera.

Also I will be curious if your trailer TPMS will also transmit tire temperature.  Mine does pressure only, I'm guessing I have some older model sensors, as I bought my harness/TPMS kit from a 3rd party overstock type place.

Thanks

Rich

5 hours ago, IUEC135ELEVATOR said:

What is a yaw sensor?

It’s part of the stability control system.  It detects angular velocity - when the front end goes one way and the rear goes the opposite way.  When driving this usually means the rear end has broken loose.  Not sure how it would work while backing a trailer.

• Thanks 1

I was part of a trial before the backup system was ever released to public.  They were still using targets on bumper trailers back then.  My complaint, my eyes could perceive change before the computer could.  I don't understand how the yaw sensor works, unless it's part of a different system.  As said above, it's a 5th wheel trailer.

12 hours ago, akirby said:

It’s part of the stability control system.  It detects angular velocity - when the front end goes one way and the rear goes the opposite way.  When driving this usually means the rear end has broken loose.  Not sure how it would work while backing a trailer.

It's part of the Pro Trailer Backup Assist

1 hour ago, BigUnixGeek said:

It's part of the Pro Trailer Backup Assist

The vehicle’s yaw sensor is part of the stability control.  It is not part of the pro trailer backup assist although it might use it.  But after re reading it sounds like road turtle added the fifth wheel trailer camera system which includes its own yaw sensor.

10 hours ago, akirby said:

The vehicle’s yaw sensor is part of the stability control.  It is not part of the pro trailer backup assist although it might use it.  But after re reading it sounds like road turtle added the fifth wheel trailer camera system which includes its own yaw sensor.

Backup assist adds the yaw sensor.  I'm seriously confused as to it's value to backup assist.

17 hours ago, IUEC135ELEVATOR said:

Hey turtle.... the screen for your camera looks pristine crystal clear, is your backup camera for your truck just as clear?

Because the backup camera on my truck has kind of a crappy grainy look to it it works but it's not crystal clear I didn't know if that was maybe my camera or maybe it's the XLT version or what?

Crystal clear on all cameras

On 12/31/2021 at 9:40 AM, road turtle said:

Backup assist adds the yaw sensor.  I'm seriously confused as to it's value to backup assist.

The yaw sensor use with Backup Assist does the same thing for 5th wheel and gooseneck trailers that the checkerboard sticker does for conventional trailers -- it helps the backup system by showing it the orientation of the trailer relative to the truck.

27 minutes ago, BigUnixGeek said:

The yaw sensor use with Backup Assist does the same thing for 5th wheel and gooseneck trailers that the checkerboard sticker does for conventional trailers -- it helps the backup system by showing it the orientation of the trailer relative to the truck.

targets were visually seen by the camera.  This is not seen.

19 hours ago, akirby said:

In this context the yaw sensor will determine if whatever it’s attached to is turning right or left.

It will be several months before I can try it out.  I'm struggling with how it being attached the pin box can pick up rotational movement that quick.  It was one of my complaints on the "targets" for bumper hitch trailers, I could see change in direction before the truck did.  I had a lot of experience pulling trailers, including a boat that I launched almost daily down a long steep and narrow boat ramp.

I ordered the backup assist mostly for my wife's benefit, I doubt I'll be using it, but we'll see.

2 hours ago, akirby said:

Is the pin box attached to the truck or to the trailer?  I dont know how it actually works in that application but that’s how yaw sensors work.

The pin box is trailer-side -- the black (usually) arm hanging down from the front underside of a 5th-wheel trailer.

My understanding of the backup assist as it applies to a bumper pull and fifth wheel is the bumper pull uses the checkered stickers for the camera to track side-to-side movement and a fifth wheel uses the yaw sensor mounted anywhere on or near the front of the trailer to detect the same side-to-side motion. Both will feed their input into the truck computer which then calculates the rate of turn (in reverse) and applies the correct amount of steering to the truck. My 2018 F-150 Lariat only uses the checkered stickers but my on-order 2022 F-250 Lariat will have the yaw sensor because it is part of the backup assist option.

It doesn't "see" the yaw sensor.  It is hard wired, so something is going on electronically.  If it's using accelerometers, I wonder how well it performs on less than smooth surfaces as it would be picking surface nuances to both the truck and trailer.

Guess, I'll find out when we leave here in late March.

Edited by road turtle