Chip Shortage May Change The Way Ford Does Business Forever

7 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

Good post. You hit the nail on the head. And all the auto companies do it. I had a Crosstrek Limited before the Escape...highest trim level.....and manual front seats where the seat would move under hard braking, manual tailgate with no inside opener, doors wouldn't automatically lock once you got moving, no keyless start, and no light in tailgate area. They all giveth and taketh away. Make you play the option game that adds thousands extra dollars. 

It’s amazing, all the little changes that can be buried in a vehicles production run. I can imagine the feeling of disappointment that some buyers experience when discovering those small features missing but as jasonj80 indicated, Ford counts on those buyers staying and mostly they seem to. It’s quite ballsy that manufacturers do that but I guess it’s part of the grift but also, it’s amazing how many buyers probably don’t miss minor features that are not deal breakers to them….

Edited by jpd80

12 hours ago, jpd80 said:

It’s amazing, all the little changes that can be buried in a vehicles production run. I can imagine the feeling of disappointment that some buyers experience when discovering those small features missing but as jasonj80 indicated, Ford counts on those buyers staying and mostly they seem to. It’s quite ballsy that manufacturers do that but I guess it’s part of the grift but also, it’s amazing how many buyers probably don’t miss minor features that are not deal breakers to them….

I think they do miss them, but by the time you notice you own the vehicle so you live with it.  I'd be downright angry if I spent 60K+ on a new pickup truck to open the glove box and there be no light in it which will happen to 2022 owners, by that point there is no recourse. I'm going to add the color changing ambient lighting back to my 2021 come summertime, seems pretty straight forward but it really should have been on a vehicle where the sticker was north of 72K. It's like the heated wiper park, do you need it no, but I have to climb up and brush off all the ice that forms there; would be nice to push a button and have it melt so the wipers don't ice up, and lets not forget that Honda Civic and Corolla have in Canada yet a 90K in F-150 in Canada doesn't? If its money charge the extra $500 or $700 for the features. All it does is make me wonder where you cut other costs that I can't see. No, I don't think all vehicles should have these features but if a customer wants to pay for it in the Luxury or Sport versions or a weather or interior upgrade package give them that option. Cost cutting at the top end of the range is stupid.

I can say the most annoying thing about my new truck is that I have a Gym Backpack and my work bag that I have to hit unlock every time I get in to the truck just like in my old 11 year old truck. It completely eliminates the benefit of the touch keyless entry and If they don't add it to the back doors my next car will not be a F-150 as other manufactures offer it on the back doors. It is like the passenger power seat adjustment where they took out the ability to tilt the seat bottom. I know someone and that is the reason they got an Edge because it can be adjusted to help her lower back pain when they drive for a moderate/long distance, that feature has all been eliminated from Ford's passenger seat adjustment so those customers will be forced to go elsewhere or live with backpain because they assume it is there.

Edited by jasonj80
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, jasonj80 said:

I think they do miss them, but by the time you notice you own the vehicle so you live with it.  I'd be downright angry if I spent 60K+ on a new pickup truck to open the glove box and there be no light in it which will happen to 2022 owners, by that point there is no recourse. I'm going to add the color changing ambient lighting back to my 2021 come summertime, seems pretty straight forward but it really should have been on a vehicle where the sticker was north of 72K. It's like the heated wiper park, do you need it no, but I have to climb up and brush off all the ice that forms there; would be nice to push a button and have it melt so the wipers don't ice up, and lets not forget that Honda Civic and Corolla have in Canada yet a 90K in F-150 in Canada doesn't? If its money charge the extra $500 or $700 for the features. All it does is make me wonder where you cut other costs that I can't see. No, I don't think all vehicles should have these features but if a customer wants to pay for it in the Luxury or Sport versions or a weather or interior upgrade package give them that option. Cost cutting at the top end of the range is stupid.

I can say the most annoying thing about my new truck is that I have a Gym Backpack and my work bag that I have to hit unlock every time I get in to the truck just like in my old 11 year old truck. It completely eliminates the benefit of the touch keyless entry and If they don't add it to the back doors my next car will not be a F-150 as other manufactures offer it on the back doors. It is like the passenger power seat adjustment where they took out the ability to tilt the seat bottom. I know someone and that is the reason they got an Edge because it can be adjusted to help her lower back pain when they drive for a moderate/long distance, that feature has all been eliminated from Ford's passenger seat adjustment so those customers will be forced to go elsewhere or live with backpain because they assume it is there.

I’ve bought Ford trucks all of my life, and it would be a very difficult decision for me to purchase a different brand of truck, but for the first time in my life the thought is entering my mind.  I am seriously getting tired of all the decontenting going on with their vehicles.  It makes absolutely no sense to remove things that the user interfaces with, and are routinely noticeable.

As you mentioned with the rear door touch keyless entry. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve attempted  to open the door and then have to move to the front door to get it unlocked and then back to the back door, all while carrying an arm load of crap.  It’s funny how my mid range Chevy Traverse work car managers to have touch entry on all of its doors, but my top of the line Superduty can’t.  

I really appreciated the lack of heated windshield wiper park during this last snowstorm a couple days ago where my wipers kept on freezing up, and your getting out at stop lights clacking them on the window.  

I really enjoy when the water bottles fall out of the cup holders on the rear of the center console because they removed the detents or whatever you want to call them that put pressure on the bottles to hold them in place.  

Or what about the missing glove box light so you can find things in the dark, or the nice owners manual sleeve that kept things organized.  Everybody likes a mask in their glove box.

How about the plastic handle release that used to be on the rear seat that you could used to lower it, but was replaced with a cloth strap on the side that is more cumbersome. 

Of course I previously mentioned the cup holder lights that I like, which no longer have lights. The ability to change the ambient light color…who needs that?

But hey, who will ever notice these features are missing or even care?

It might be time to take a stroll through the Ram or GMC dealership to see if they are removing features, or if they are actually offering options people want.

The TRX is a pretty bad ass truck and Ford couldn’t be bothered by adding one additional horsepower or torque increase on their new gen 3 Raptor.  The TRX can even be had For below MSRP, where I can’t even get a build date on the Raptor. 

It would be nice if Ford actually listened to customers once in a while.  I probably missed a few things, but the rant is  over for now.  

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Mach-E will no longer offer hands-free tailgate starting with those built after 1/3/22.  The assumption is this is due to chip shortage. 

The sensor on my Mach-E is awful anyway, to the point I’ve stopped trying to use it.  The one on my Edge is flawless. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/5/2022 at 12:48 AM, tbone said:

I’ve bought Ford trucks all of my life, and it would be a very difficult decision for me to purchase a different brand of truck, but for the first time in my life the thought is entering my mind.  I am seriously getting tired of all the decontenting going on with their vehicles.  It makes absolutely no sense to remove things that the user interfaces with, and are routinely noticeable.

As you mentioned with the rear door touch keyless entry. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve attempted  to open the door and then have to move to the front door to get it unlocked and then back to the back door, all while carrying an arm load of crap.  It’s funny how my mid range Chevy Traverse work car managers to have touch entry on all of its doors, but my top of the line Superduty can’t.  

I really appreciated the lack of heated windshield wiper park during this last snowstorm a couple days ago where my wipers kept on freezing up, and your getting out at stop lights clacking them on the window.  

I really enjoy when the water bottles fall out of the cup holders on the rear of the center console because they removed the detents or whatever you want to call them that put pressure on the bottles to hold them in place.  

Or what about the missing glove box light so you can find things in the dark, or the nice owners manual sleeve that kept things organized.  Everybody likes a mask in their glove box.

How about the plastic handle release that used to be on the rear seat that you could used to lower it, but was replaced with a cloth strap on the side that is more cumbersome. 

Of course I previously mentioned the cup holder lights that I like, which no longer have lights. The ability to change the ambient light color…who needs that?

But hey, who will ever notice these features are missing or even care?

It might be time to take a stroll through the Ram or GMC dealership to see if they are removing features, or if they are actually offering options people want.

The TRX is a pretty bad ass truck and Ford couldn’t be bothered by adding one additional horsepower or torque increase on their new gen 3 Raptor.  The TRX can even be had For below MSRP, where I can’t even get a build date on the Raptor. 

It would be nice if Ford actually listened to customers once in a while.  I probably missed a few things, but the rant is  over for now.  

F-150 Raptor R: Ford Confirms What We’ve Told You All Along (fordauthority.com)

I just heard that Ford Credit is starting a new program where established Ford Credit customers in good standing for at least 10 months will be able to buy any new Ford vehicle with 0% financing no matter what interest rates are at any point in time saving Ford customers thousands of dollars. Nice perk. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

I just heard that Ford Credit is starting a new program where established Ford Credit customers in good standing for at least 10 months will be able to buy any new Ford vehicle with 0% financing no matter what interest rates are at any point in time saving Ford customers thousands of dollars. Nice perk. 

That's great news, thanks for sharing FordBuyer sir. That program should help with customer retention.

Also good news is the upgrade that Ford Credit announced earlier in the week to its digital infrastructure, which has historically been a weakness for Ford in general. Ford Credit is going live with Stripe's e-commerce payment technologies for customers and dealers later in 2022. Ford-Stripe Agreement to Accelerate Easy Payment Experiences for Customers, Dealers | Ford Media Center

2 hours ago, rperez817 said:

That's great news, thanks for sharing FordBuyer sir. That program should help with customer retention.

Also good news is the upgrade that Ford Credit announced earlier in the week to its digital infrastructure, which has historically been a weakness for Ford in general. Ford Credit is going live with Stripe's e-commerce payment technologies for customers and dealers later in 2022. Ford-Stripe Agreement to Accelerate Easy Payment Experiences for Customers, Dealers | Ford Media Center

I've been signed up to Ford Credit Account Manager thru Ford Pass that makes paying monthly payment very easy avoiding snail mail. It had other features also and keeps you updated on your account and latest Ford Credit  programs. Have been avoiding Auto Pay however as don't want too many hands in my checking account. Must be a control freak. 

• Like 1

On 1/1/2022 at 1:42 PM, akirby said:

With every vehicle having a modem now, telematics almost make the keypad redundant since you can use your phone to lock or unlock it.  The exception would be if you’re out of cell range or want to leave the phone in the vehicle.

I did not spend the extra $90 or whatever it was to get a keypad on my 2019 Ranger because of the FordPass app. I live in a cold climate and sometimes I like to lock the vehicle when it is running and really cold out to run in somewhere. I also am a dog owner and do the same in the summer so my dog has AC.

I ordered a keypad on the 2022 Ranger I have on order right now. I don't trust the FordPass app after my phone crashed when it was below zero and my truck was running and I was locked out! I finally got it going after a restart and some fiddling, but it taught me a lesson about relying on telematics when the vehicle is locked and running in a parking lot. If the network goes down or your phone crashes out and you can't get it going again in a few minutes it's nice to have the keypad.

23 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Could F150 Raptor R be a limited build of say, 2,500 or 5,000 vehicles?

The limited production rumor is just a rumor, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it is.  I hope it isn’t, so anyone that wants one can get one, but with how limited availability the current model is, I wouldn’t be surprised if it is limited in some capacity.  

13 hours ago, sullynd said:

Mach-E will no longer offer hands-free tailgate starting with those built after 1/3/22.  The assumption is this is due to chip shortage. 

The sensor on my Mach-E is awful anyway, to the point I’ve stopped trying to use it.  The one on my Edge is flawless. 

They won't offer it at all?  Yikes.

I know the Bronco removed the temperature display on the temperature knobs for '22s now (I think F-150 did too), presumably because of lack of chips.

8 hours ago, rmc523 said:

They won't offer it at all?  Yikes.

I know the Bronco removed the temperature display on the temperature knobs for '22s now (I think F-150 did too), presumably because of lack of chips.

Unclear. It’s a bulletin to dealers. No notice to buyers. Wouldn’t think to check that at purchase. Would stink to buy, everything saying you should have it, and Ford saying “too bad”. 

4A76A165-CE25-4FA4-B81C-802D2012AEB0.jpeg

21 hours ago, tbone said:

Yes, I’m aware of the R.  I’m speculating it will be out of my price range unfortunately, and the rumors are it will be limited in production numbers, so it would have been nice to have a bump in the current Raptor’s power.  

And what do you think the TRX is?? It's a limited production model. The equivalent of the regular Raptor in Ram's lineup is the Rebel. And IF you can actually buy a TRX for under MSRP, it's just an indication that Ram sucks.

4 hours ago, AGR said:

And what do you think the TRX is?? It's a limited production model. The equivalent of the regular Raptor in Ram's lineup is the Rebel. And IF you can actually buy a TRX for under MSRP, it's just an indication that Ram sucks.

You are mistaken, the TRX is the equivalent to Ford’s Raptor, and its production is not capped at a certain number to my knowledge.  The Rebel is comparable to the Tremor, and is not comparable to capability of the Raptor.  

According to the forums, for what it is worth, you can buy a TRX below MSRP.  Unfortunately, for Raptor buyers, those deals are few and far between, not to mention the limited allocation issues.  

2 hours ago, tbone said:

You are mistaken, the TRX is the equivalent to Ford’s Raptor, and its production is not capped at a certain number to my knowledge.  The Rebel is comparable to the Tremor, and is not comparable to capability of the Raptor.  

According to the forums, for what it is worth, you can buy a TRX below MSRP.  Unfortunately, for Raptor buyers, those deals are few and far between, not to mention the limited allocation issues.  

I actually priced them myself, the Rebel covers both Tremor and Raptor; the TRX is more expensive than the regular Raptor. And it uses the Hellcat engine which is a limited production motor.

On 1/23/2022 at 12:26 PM, slemke said:

How many 5.2L predators can the niche line crank out?

It’s a 21 station production line, it takes less than 210 minutes to complete each engine,

so one in less than ten minutes or roughly 50 per day

Engines assembled by hands but with some good tools assisting……

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/2020-shelby-gt500s-760hp-52l-predator-built-ford-proud-romeo-niche-line/

• Like 1