Mis shift 5th to second 2019 Gt at 90mph

helicfi

Hi guys,

as the title says, i did a mis shift 5th to 2nd

not really sure at what speed (mph)

it pegged the tac…

Not sure for how long 

a few seconds for sure…

no check engine lights or unusual sounds…

Is there any way to determine if i did damage?

car has 17k on it.

thanks so much for your input.

I don't know the gearing numbers for the 2019, but on the 2021 (GT) shifting into 2nd at 90 mph yields about 8350 rpm.  That's well above red line.  I don't know if that's high enough to cause valve crash or other issues.  If it sounds okay maybe you dodged a bullet. 

You might want to get on the S550 website and ask the question.  There's a lot of hardcore motor heads there who mod and race and might know what the upper limit is.

Here's the S550 link.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/

For what it's worth I've seen comments on the Mustang6G forum that people have pushed Coyotes to 8000 rpm without problems.  There are reports of oil pump gear failures at 8k, but the suggested cause is the rev limiter.  When the engine bounces off the rev limiter at 8k there are harsh vibration loads transmitted to the OPG gears. Granted that seems to be an anecdotal explanation. 

Some of the hard core folks suggest setting the rev limit above the intended shift point (e.g 8200 rpm for 8000 rpm shifting) to avoid bumping it routinely. 

• 3 weeks later...