Service Plan for f350 Diesel worth it?

bbqtruck

I have been trying to find information about this topic, but this seems to be a black hole in the internet.  I am new to the diesel engine scene with this new truck I am about to pick up.  I have an F350 Platinum 6.7L PSD that I ordered and that I am close to picking up.  I know that I will be asked at the dealership about the extended warranty and the maintenance plan.  I also know those are negotiable in price.  Additionally, I know that diesel trucks take a different maintenance requirement than the old trusty gas guzzler.  So, my question is what is the typical cost of a regular maintenance visit at a dealership?  Also, what is a reasonable price to pay for a prepaid maintenance plan?

TIA

I had the service plan on my previous vehicle but did not get it for my diesel F-250. I just don't drive regularly enough to know I will get full value out of the plan.

I did buy the extended warranty, my dealership matched Flood's price, for piece of mind.

I started a nearly identical thread a couple of months ago.

I decided to go with maintenance plan for one reason, cost to have oil/fuel filter changes done was almost the same cost to pay for them myself.  I've always done my own oil changes, but two things have changed, one, we are traveling, semi full time, and I've never had to deal with diesel before.

2022 ford warranty guide....

https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/content/dam/brand_ford/en_us/brand/resources/general/pdf/warranty/2022-Ford-Car-Lt-Truck-Hybrid-Warranty-version-2_frdwa_EN-US_12_2020.pdf

I think I'm going to go ahead and do it there's no way I will hit 100,000 miles in eight years with the amount that I drive the truck as I have two other one ton trucks sitting here, one is for work everyday and the other is for back in the woods pulling trees pulling the equipment trailer doing the rough and dirty stuff.

I figure for $2,000 to cover me for 8 years in the event something does go wrong past the 3-year 36000 mile or the five-year 60,000 mile Powertrain warranty I'm okay with that because I think the chances are high of something going wrong that cost over two grand.

You diesel guys get 5 years 100,000 mile warranty on your engine

Screenshot_20220103-213212_Chrome.jpg

4 hours ago, Mbrooks44 said:

Here is what I was told about the service plan:

Ford adds up whatever costs for the services for the mileage you pick, applies a 15% discount and charges you the current labor rate. So, there is a benefit if you don’t do it yourself. 

The problem is there are a lot of “inspections” built into those standard service intervals.  If all you do is change filters fluids and other stuff it’s usually a lot cheaper than the service plans, but the service plan is probably cheaper than the normal inflated dealership standard services.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2022 at 7:59 AM, Mbrooks44 said:

Here is what I was told about the service plan:

Ford adds up whatever costs for the services for the mileage you pick, applies a 15% discount and charges you the current labor rate. So, there is a benefit if you don’t do it yourself. 

This may be where the *MSRP price for the maintenance plan is but you can shop around and get it cheaper than most dealers will sell it for. Or at least push your dealer to match. Flood Ford sells both the ESP and the Maintenance plan at discounts. There are other sites that do as well.