Ford Stock Beat Tesla Last Year. Here’s What It Will Do Next.

Back in November 2020, Barron's said Ford "has a lot of catching up to do, but if the new CEO does it right, the stock could double".

The prediction about Ford stock came true as of January 2022 because Jim Farley did it right. Specifically, Farley is doing 2 of the most important duties that Jim Hackett left for him.

1. Continue efforts to get Ford 'fit'
  2. Get Ford out of the "old world" of the automotive industry and into the "new world"

Farley can't rest though. Not only is there a lot of work remaining for both of these duties, Tesla keeps advancing rapidly and remains the biggest competitive threat not only to Ford, but to all incumbent automakers.

ON-ED044_1130_C_OR_20201127170917.jpg

I remember my broker calling me and asking "What I thought" and I'm like "Look I only have 100 or so shares for other benefits and discounts, I personally wouldn't".  Sure enough, he kept asking question after question, and bought about 15K worth even though I kept saying "Hmm ok fine I can harvest the loss once it drops".  I find it amusing he asks since I'm a car guy and yet he bought a bunch more Ford.  A few years back he called about Nvidia, and I'm like "I don't know, other than they are the few if only semiconductors that can power up electric vehicles which will be in demand.  Well, he bought a bunch of that as well, and that's history now. 

1 hour ago, ANTAUS said:

I remember my broker calling me and asking "What I thought" and I'm like "Look I only have 100 or so shares for other benefits and discounts, I personally wouldn't".  Sure enough, he kept asking question after question, and bought about 15K worth even though I kept saying "Hmm ok fine I can harvest the loss once it drops".  I find it amusing he asks since I'm a car guy and yet he bought a bunch more Ford.  A few years back he called about Nvidia, and I'm like "I don't know, other than they are the few if only semiconductors that can power up electric vehicles which will be in demand.  Well, he bought a bunch of that as well, and that's history now. 

Got some AMD stock last year that has done well also...the finally can compete with Intel with CPUs.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mackinaw said:

Just read that some Wall Street guy is saying the stock will hit low-mid $30's.

A couple weeks ago an analyst gave a near term price of $32 and long term of $60. Certainly $30 looks possible if 2022 is a good year for Ford with no major failures or wild new Covid mutations. Report out of France of a new Covid mutation. Lots of question marks.

24 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

A couple weeks ago an analyst gave a near term price of $32 and long term of $60. Certainly $30 looks possible if 2022 is a good year for Ford with no major failures or wild new Covid mutations. Report out of France of a new Covid mutation. Lots of question marks.

if anything the mutations are going to b more mild, because it allows it to spread more and survive. Killing your host off isn't a good idea for virus ?

29 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

I could see it, honestly, Ford wasn't in a great place before Jim Farley took over. But they're on a roll now, and the stock price should reflect that. I'm calling it now, Jim Farley will go down in history as the best CEO ford's ever had. He's a genuine car guy, meaning we should, in theory, start to get a few more enthusiast vehicles. But he also understands how to appeal to the masses, and move Ford into the future. How to apply creative thinking and development menthods to ford's design process, and is highly committed to ensuring quality is once again job #1 at Ford. All around, he seems like a really genuine, decent, and smart leader that will take Ford to new heights.

30 minutes ago, akirby said:

That’s hilarious.  Everything Ford has done this last year and for the next two years was started or completed by Hackett.

I can understand your opinion but Hackett had real communication problems with Wall Street, Ford shareholders, Ford and Lincoln Dealers, etc. He may have laid out plans for the future but it's Jim Farley that's producing positive results, especially with the Covid-19 pandemic factors. When Hackett was Ford's CEO, the BEV market was still not taken as seriously as it is now, with changing global conditions and mandates. Although plans were being developed for BEV vehicles, they've accelerated greatly under Jim Farley's leadership and recent announcements for Blue Oval City, expanded production for the F-150 Lightning and Mustang Mach-E and the partnership with SK for additional BEV battery plants to supply future Ford products. Hackett's claim to fame is resurrecting Steelcase furniture while Jim Farley is an automotive and Ford enthusiast with years of automotive experience and passion. I'll put my money on Farley and Hackett's contribution being continuously discounted and then forgotten. 

Edited by ice-capades
Additional content
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DeluxeStang said:

I could see it, honestly, Ford wasn't in a great place before Jim Farley took over. But they're on a roll now, and the stock price should reflect that. I'm calling it now, Jim Farley will go down in history as the best CEO ford's ever had. He's a genuine car guy, meaning we should, in theory, start to get a few more enthusiast vehicles. But he also understands how to appeal to the masses, and move Ford into the future. How to apply creative thinking and development menthods to ford's design process, and is highly committed to ensuring quality is once again job #1 at Ford. All around, he seems like a really genuine, decent, and smart leader that will take Ford to new heights.

Well, there is a plan/strategy and then there is execution. With Ford, I always worry about the execution. Explorer launch was all about execution. Ditto with Bronco. Ford certainly has momentum now. Just hope they don't screw it up. Keep the momentum going with new trim lines, new product, and great execution. 

1 hour ago, FordBuyer said:

I bought a mess of Ford stock back in 2008 or so when it was trading at $2.50 share.  I sold it at $5.00, and doubled my money, but wish now I would have held on to it.  Hindsight of course.

1 hour ago, ice-capades said:

I can understand your opinion but Hackett had real communication problems with Wall Street, Ford shareholders, Ford and Lincoln Dealers, etc. He may have laid out plans for the future but it's Jim Farley that's producing positive results, especially with the Covid-19 pandemic factors. When Hackett was Ford's CEO, the BEV market was still not taken as seriously as it is now, with changing global conditions and mandates. Although plans were being developed for BEV vehicles, they've accelerated greatly under Jim Farley's leadership and recent announcements for Blue Oval City, expanded production for the F-150 Lightning and Mustang Mach-E and the partnership with SK for additional BEV battery plants to supply future Ford products. Hackett's claim to fame is resurrecting Steelcase furniture while Jim Farley is an automotive and Ford enthusiast with years of automotive experience and passion. I'll put my money on Farley and Hackett's contribution being continuously discounted and then forgotten. 

I don’t disagree that Farley is a better CEO and I recognize he has gone a lot further with BEVs, etc.

My point is you can’t look at things like Mach-E, F150 Lightning, Bronco, Bronco Sport and Maverick and say that Ford wasn’t in a great place before Farley took over.  All those things were done under Hackett.  Ford is in a great place precisely because of everything Hackett did during his tenure which Farley has continued and then gone above and beyond.  And to be fair Farley was a partner in those decisions.  

But to say Hackett put Ford in a bad place and Farley rescued them is uninformed.

• Like 3

Farley has really put the company in the spotlight. He's regularly on CNBC pumping Ford, Mulally did this also. He is truly a car guy, love seeing him at the track all decked out in his race gear. Also the way he uses social media, complementing elon is good optics, and just a positive for the company.  This all great for us shareholders but he's really set the bar high and must deliver on the lightning, everyone is watching.

23 minutes ago, jose said:

Farley has really put the company in the spotlight. He's regularly on CNBC pumping Ford, Mulally did this also. He is truly a car guy, love seeing him at the track all decked out in his race gear. Also the way he uses social media, complementing elon is good optics, and just a positive for the company.  This all great for us shareholders but he's really set the bar high and must deliver on the lightning, everyone is watching.

Hackett may have made good moves behind the scenes, but he was terrible at communicating them with investors, the public, media, etc.  Farley seems to be doing both - making good moves and being good at communicating what's being done.

Farley is good because he is listening to people and allows teams to make decisions. The issue is that now there are people that are using that to climb the ladder at the expense of product but they themselves look great. Remains to be see if Farley is going to be able to kill that thought which is the normal progress after major changes at Ford. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, akirby said:

That’s hilarious.  Everything Ford has done this last year and for the next two years was started or completed by Hackett.

Never said that wasn't the case, but Hackett was never a confident inspiring leader. That was a massive flaw. Not to mention, things like the mach-e were closer to Farley's ideas and vision for the company than Hackett's.

3 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

Well, there is a plan/strategy and then there is execution. With Ford, I always worry about the execution. Explorer launch was all about execution. Ditto with Bronco. Ford certainly has momentum now. Just hope they don't screw it up. Keep the momentum going with new trim lines, new product, and great execution. 

I agree, but in terms of quality, ford's only real screw up in recent history was the explorer, and from my understanding, later model years of the 6th gen explorer are much more reliable and well made. Yes, the bronco had roof issues, but if that's the biggest issue your product is having in it's first model year, then you're doing pretty good.

53 minutes ago, DeluxeStang said:

Never said that wasn't the case, but Hackett was never a confident inspiring leader. That was a massive flaw. Not to mention, things like the mach-e were closer to Farley's ideas and vision for the company than Hackett's.

Ok if you’re just saying that Farley is a better leader and communicator then I agree.  I just get tired of people bashing Hackett for his personality and poor communication without giving him proper credit for making a lot of great product decisions behind the scenes.

• Like 1

I agree, but in terms of quality, ford's only real screw up in recent history was the explorer, and from my understanding, later model years of the 6th gen explorer are much more reliable and well made. Yes, the bronco had roof issues, but if that's the biggest issue your product is having in it's first model year, then you're doing pretty good.

Ahem….. I4 ecoboost coolant problems?  Water pumps on transverse duratec V6s?   I’m also seeing a lot of little problems with Bronco Sport and Maverick.  I think it’s improving but there are still far too many issues.

5 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

I could see it, honestly, Ford wasn't in a great place before Jim Farley took over.

Do you mean Jim Hackett? As akirby mentioned, it was Jim Hackett who put into place strategies and approaches to get Ford fit and to bring the company into the "new world" of the automotive industry during his tenure as Ford CEO between 2017 and 2020. When Hackett retired, he entrusted Farley to continue what he started. Farley has lived up to his promise.

things like the mach-e were closer to Farley's ideas and vision for the company than Hackett's.

Farley's ideas and vision for the company are the same as Hackett's. Mustang Mach-E is a great example of Hackett's "design thinking" in action. Farley continues to promote and spread "design thinking" throughout Ford.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Farley's ideas and vision for the company are the same as Hackett's. Mustang Mach-E is a great example of Hackett's "design thinking" in action. Farley continues to promote and spread "design thinking" throughout Ford.

Truth to tell, Jim Farley identified the problem with E C-Max and brought it to Hackett’s attention, he also recommended the fix…. Jim Farley is more of a product guy than Hackett ever was but to Jim Hackett’s credit his biggest virtue was letting his team do their jobs properly and setting up Farley for success.

Edited by jpd80