'21 December/ Year End Total

12 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Dodge only has what, 3 vehicles?  Challenger, Charger, and Durango.  Easier to spread chips around with that lineup.

Dodge may only have 3 vehicles, but Stellantis has 15 brands (Dodge being one of them) and way more vehicles to spread the chips around.  If anything they should be a worse place chip-wise than Ford.  And I doubt the Challenger was a priority when deciding where chips were allocated, more like Ram and Jeep.

1 hour ago, Anthony said:

Dodge may only have 3 vehicles, but Stellantis has 15 brands (Dodge being one of them) and way more vehicles to spread the chips around.  If anything they should be a worse place chip-wise than Ford.  And I doubt the Challenger was a priority when deciding where chips were allocated, more like Ram and Jeep.

Not necessarily.  They could have had a normal supply from the FCA days that kept them afloat despite the other part of Stellantis that got added to the pile.

2 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Not necessarily.  They could have had a normal supply from the FCA days that kept them afloat despite the other part of Stellantis that got added to the pile.

But that's the thing...we don't know.  So to say the reason the Challenger outsold the Mustang purely because of chip supply is a bit of a stretch.  After all, this was a global issue that could have easily affected both companies. 

Who knows? Maybe it was chips, maybe it was people wanting something with a V8 and a usable back seat or maybe it was none of the above.  But I won't be making any assumptions in that regard.  We just know the end result.

• Like 1

But that's the thing...we don't know.  So to say the reason the Challenger outsold the Mustang purely because of chip supply is a bit of a stretch.  After all, this was a global issue that could have easily affected both companies. 

Who knows? Maybe it was chips, maybe it was people wanting something with a V8 and a usable back seat or maybe it was none of the above.  But I won't be making any assumptions in that regard.  We just know the end result.

Mustang and Challenger sales have been close the past four years, so it wouldn’t take much to change who leads, the bigger story for me has been the demise of Camaro….well, some were calling that a few years ago……

You also need to look at inventory at the start of the year and end of the year to make any conclusion on whether chip production really impacted sales of Mustang and Challenger.

Another factor to consider, a good portion of Mustang convertible goes to rental fleet because it is one of the only 4 seat convertible still on the market. Rental companies stopped buying cars throughout much of 2020 and early 2021. That probably affected Mustang sales.

Also remember, Ford exports about 20~25% of Mustang production on a normal year. We don't know if Ford prioritized export this year with supply shortage. 

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Anthony said:

Challenger isn't offered with as many of the modern features that requires more chips like a new RAM or Jeep Grand Cherokee or Wagoneer would need. 

Same goes for Mustang but since it's on a newer platform and likely with newer electronic modules than Challenger (and Charger for that matter).

I don't know what Stellantis' full situation was but I know there was several points where Mustang production was stopped for multiple weeks at a time to use whatever chips they could for other vehicles. 

• Like 1

Brampton was closed for weeks as well due to chip shortages. 

Regardless of the why, the lack of sales and the lack of priority these vehicles receive points out we are in the last years of traditional pony cars. Kind of a bummer, but Ford and to an extent Dodge, seem to always pull a rabbit out of their hats that get people excited again. 

Brampton was closed for weeks as well due to chip shortages. 

Regardless of the why, the lack of sales and the lack of priority these vehicles receive points out we are in the last years of traditional pony cars. Kind of a bummer, but Ford and to an extent Dodge, seem to always pull a rabbit out of their hats that get people excited again. 

The Mustang seems to be overdue for an update and TBH the last restyling was a regression in my eyes vs the 2015.

With the Challenger its more or less come to and end as what they can do ICE wise with it. 

16 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

The Mustang seems to be overdue for an update and TBH the last restyling was a regression in my eyes vs the 2015.

With the Challenger its more or less come to and end as what they can do ICE wise with it. 

Yeah, I prefer the '15 front end to the '18, but the performance upgrades and digital dash made the '18 more appealing to me (though I'd have been perfectly happy had I found a used '15-17 too.....was very close to buying a year old '17 with only like 5k miles, but someone had already put a deposit on it by the time I got there.)

Agree that it's ready for an update, though.

Edited by rmc523

On 1/6/2022 at 9:01 PM, silvrsvt said:

According to purist that isn't a Mustang...

Anyways I'm sure that Mustang sales where artificially limited due to supply chain issues.

I believe I read somewhere on this forum that they stopped building the Mustang for a while to use the chips for higher priority products.

For those wondering why Lincoln is still around...

Chinese sales totals for 2021 were 91,621 units. A gain of 48% over 2020. ?

You will likely see sales over 100k units in 2022 thanks to the Zephyr and full year local production of the Nautilus and Aviator, which launched local production mid-2021. 

• Like 4