2024 Chevrolet Silverado EV Revealed with 664 HP, 400-Mile Range

silvrsvt

45 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Who does everyone feel the need to put these stupid light bars across the front end of every electric vehicle lately? It's a waste of battery power and it looks ridiculous. 

Design trend.  Same reason everyone is putting lightbars on the rear.  Same reason everyone had fins years ago, and everyone had white walls, etc.

---

I mentioned Avalanche earlier in the thread, but figured I'd expand on my thought.....

I get that they want to capitalize on the Silverado name, but I think they should've just called this Avalanche EV, given the form factor of a unibody truck with the midgate just like Avalanche was.

Long term, do they really expect this unibody form factor to fully replace the traditional separated cab/bed Silverado?

Down the road, they've opened a can of worms naming wise. They're going to have this Silverado EV, then what? Will the traditional separated cab/bed model be Silverado EV 1500 (2500+)? Whereas this "Avalanche" is just plain Silverado EV with no number?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Design trend.  Same reason everyone is putting lightbars on the rear.  Same reason everyone had fins years ago, and everyone had white walls, etc.

---

I mentioned Avalanche earlier in the thread, but figured I'd expand on my thought.....

I get that they want to capitalize on the Silverado name, but I think they should've just called this Avalanche EV, given the form factor of a unibody truck with the midgate just like Avalanche was.

Long term, do they really expect this unibody form factor to fully replace the traditional separated cab/bed Silverado?

Down the road, they've opened a can of worms naming wise. They're going to have this Silverado EV, then what? Will the traditional separated cab/bed model be Silverado EV 1500 (2500+)? Whereas this "Avalanche" is just plain Silverado EV with no number?

I agree, this thing doesn’t look like a Silverado. Avalanche would have been a good name.

the current Silverado looks pretty good now that they have fixed the interior. I’m not sure why Chevrolet thought they needed to deviate so much from it. Maybe they are trying to recoup the costs of the hummer?

I see the lightning vs Silverado ev playing out similar to the Maverick Vs Santa Cruz.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

I agree, this thing doesn’t look like a Silverado. Avalanche would have been a good name.

the current Silverado looks pretty good now that they have fixed the interior. I’m not sure why Chevrolet thought they needed to deviate so much from it. Maybe they are trying to recoup the costs of the hummer?

I see the lightning vs Silverado ev playing out similar to the Maverick Vs Santa Cruz.

Yeah, they likely needed to spread costs out over multiple vehicles.

I don't have a problem with them trying a different form factor (or rather the same one again).  I just think their marketing got too hung up on the "Silverado name will sell this" line vs. calling it something more appropriate like Avalanche.  But I suppose the same could be said of Mustang Mach E.....I view this a bit differently, though, as there already was a model in this same form, why not continue that name?

• Like 1

GM going with Silverado name is obviously a ploy to keep the sales of all three Silverado models on the same "nameplate" game as Ford's F-series.

Silverado EV + Silverado 1500/2500/3500 + Silverado 4500/5500/6500 <==> F-150 Lightning, F150 + F250/350/450/550/600 

1 hour ago, bzcat said:

GM going with Silverado name is obviously a ploy to keep the sales of all three Silverado models on the same "nameplate" game as Ford's F-series.

Silverado EV + Silverado 1500/2500/3500 + Silverado 4500/5500/6500 <==> F-150 Lightning, F150 + F250/350/450/550/600 

Good point I didn't think of.

I wonder if Ford will break out Lightning sales as a separate line item, or if they'll lump them into F-Series numbers and just point out Lightning figures in their highlights (i.e. "We sold 70k F-series last month, 10k of which were Lightning").

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Take away the mid gate and it’s no different than a crew cab Silvererra or F150.  

If you ignore that it's unibody vs. separate cabs/beds.

9 hours ago, rmc523 said:

The bigger question is: did GM have an engineering choice between unibody vs. traditional cab/bed, or did the EV chassis negate the option of a traditional cab/bed?

The current Lightning still has the F150's perimeter frame (albeit in modified form), so it could certainly continue with the traditional cab/bed format. What will happen with the next gen Lightning on the new bespoke EV platform? 

For years the narrative has been the superiority (and desirability) of the traditional cab/bed form for the majority of the pickup marketplace - witness for example the derision aimed at Honda's unibody truck which it has never successfully overcome. I'm really curious to see if Ford will carry on with the traditional cab/bed in the next gen Lightning, or will they have to follow the unibody path shown by GM with the EV Silverado?

Edited by Harley Lover

The front end design for Chevy's EVs are objectively ugly, over styled and boring. I like it overall but that lightbar has to go. Ford doesn't have much to worry about, this truck won't sell well because the Hummer looks better for the same price. 

Edited by Justdatdude

We need to distinguish between 3 different designs here.

Unibody traditionally means a one piece chassis and top hat like Ridgeline and Maverick.  Those just happen to have the bed connected to the rest of the body, but it’s the chassis that makes them unibody not the cab and bed.

Obviously you have the traditional body on frame separate cab and bed.

With the skateboard you have a hybrid - one piece cab and bed but all on a separate frame/chassis.  So this is not a unibody in the traditional meaning of that word although it does kinda make sense to describe the one piece cab and bad.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Harley Lover said:

The bigger question is: did GM have an engineering choice between unibody vs. traditional cab/bed, or did the EV chassis negate the option of a traditional cab/bed?

The current Lightning still has the F150's perimeter frame (albeit in modified form), so it could certainly continue with the traditional cab/bed format. What will happen with the next gen Lightning on the new bespoke EV platform? 

For years the narrative has been the superiority (and desirability) of the traditional cab/bed form for the majority of the pickup marketplace - witness for example the derision aimed at Honda's unibody truck which it has never successfully overcome. I'm really curious to see if Ford will carry on with the traditional cab/bed in the next gen Lightning, or will they have to follow the unibody path shown by GM with the EV Silverado?

I think the question is more how strong is the skateboard chassis - that’s the weak point.  If it’s just as strong then I think it just comes down to flexibility.

For super duties I could see Ford retaining the separate bed because it allows for chassis cab options (flat beds, boxes, etc ) but on F150 the only reason I can see for a separate bed is to replace it if it gets damaged.  But I think that’s pretty rare nowadays.

So I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see a one piece cab and bed on the 2nd Gen Lightning assuming the skateboard is rugged enough but not on the super duty.

1 hour ago, Justdatdude said:

Ford doesn't have much to worry about, this truck won't sell well because the Hummer looks better for the same price. 

I'm not seeing where the Hummer pickup is being offered at $40K, like the base Silverado EV.  Let us know where you saw that.

HRG

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Harley Lover said:

Eh, if there's anything Ford knows, it's its truck customers.  I think we'll see it retain the traditional setup.

Remember, Avalanche's form failed/was discontinued before.  Why should it work better now?  Just because EV?  Plus Silverado name?  I'm not sold.

• Like 1

Avalanche didn't fail per se. It just out-lived its purpose. It sold reasonably well for the entire production run over two generations but GM couldn't combine the volume with Silverado to beat Ford because they were different "nameplates". 

When Chevy launched GMT800 Avalanche, it didn't sell a retail-friendly 4 door Silverado 1500 crewcab. Avalanche was the retail crewcab option for Chevy and GM's response to Ford's hugely popular 10th gen F-150 crewcab. Towards the end of the GMT800 run, Chevy added a special fleet model call Silverado 1500HD to capture the fleet market but that was a fringe model aimed at fleet. Ford's offer was simpler... just F-150, same as before but with more doors. Remember that up to the late 1990s, crewcab pickup was considered a commercial vehicle for workers and generally reserved for 3/4 ton and above fleet sales. When Ford an GM both started getting consumer interests in 1/2 ton crewcab, they took slightly different path... Ford added crewcab and up-luxed F-150 while GM thought buyers would prefer a different nameplate and not want to be associated with Silverado. In some respect they were both right as Avalanche outsold the 1500 HD crewcab by considerable margin. But as I mentioned, it wasn't a Silverado so that made some people at Chevy a little sore about losing the pickup truck sales battle, especially as crewcab took over as the main selling bodystyle.

By the time GMT900 showed up, crewcab had became the overwhelming selling bodystyle for fullsize pickup so Silverado 1500 crewcab was available across the board. So Avalanche became redundant. This is why Avalanche didn't even last until the end of GMT900 production. Chevy wanted to consolidate all 4 door pickup sales under a single nameplate and Silverado won out. 

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 1

GM announcing development of HD EV Trucks

https://www.musclecarsandtrucks.com/gm-ceo-mary-barra-electric-heavy-duty-trucks-sierra-silverado-hd/

Alongside the reveal of the 2024 Chevrolet Silverado EV in RST , Trail Boss, and Work Truck trim, General Motors CEO Mary Barra revealed the automaker would bring forward all-electric heavy-duty trucks by 2035. By now we’re all familiar with GM’s commitment to transitioning all light-duty cars and trucks to electric propulsion before 2035, but the company has shied from disclosing any plans of electric heavy duty trucks up until this point.

The details were scarce, but during Barra’s presentation she proclaimed that the future GM HD EV trucks “will be engineered to deliver effortless heavy-duty hauling and towing while offering customers amazing new features, and a [battery] range to get the toughest jobs done.”

Electric Chevrolet Silverado And GMC Sierra HD Trucks Inbound?

It’s unlikely that General Motors will eliminate gas and diesel-powered HD trucks before 2035, as heavy duty and commercial medium duty truck sales are some of the automaker’s quiet cash cows. Beyond retail level Chevrolet Silverado HD and GMC Sierra HD trucks, there’s an entire world of HD trucks like the Class 6 Chevy Low Cab, and Silverado 4500, 5500, and 6500 HD chassis cabs that underpin everything from cube vans to small busses, and ambulances. A truck like the Class 4 Silverado 6500 offers a max payload of 15,940 lbs, those are some big shoes to fill.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2022 at 1:37 PM, akirby said:

My point exactly.  If it didn’t work before……

If you try something, and it fails, you should not make give it another shot? To do it better? After you failed the first time? It did not work before, so you should not try it again? 

I guess that is one way of looking at things. 

?

Edited by Willwll313wll

On 1/5/2022 at 5:49 PM, akirby said:

I think it will sell to non traditional truck buyers and Chevy faithful but I think Lightning will appeal more to non Chevy truck buyers.

In the October - November 2021 survey by Autolist, F-150 Lightning was preferred over Silverado EV among all groups. But that was before Silverado EV officially debuted. It will be interesting to see what the results are for the next BEV pickup truck survey. 

Details on Autolist BEV pickup truck survey. Survey: Ford’s Electric F-150 Pickup Tops Rivals from Tesla, Rivian, GM (autolist.com)

Slide1.jpg

Slide2.jpg

Slide3.jpg

Slide5.jpg

Edited by rperez817

On 1/6/2022 at 8:48 AM, HotRunrGuy said:

I'm not seeing where the Hummer pickup is being offered at $40K, like the base Silverado EV.  Let us know where you saw that.

HRG

Anyone that thinks this won’t sell in huge numbers is going to be wrong. The specs are better than Ford’s and deserve credit. The advantage for Ford is this won’t get up and running  for awhile. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, kyle said:

Anyone that thinks this won’t sell in huge numbers is going to be wrong. The specs are better than Ford’s and deserve credit. The advantage for Ford is this won’t get up and running  for awhile. 

Yes sir kyle. Silverado EV is ahead of F-150 Lightning in terms of technology and design, but F-150 Lightning has first mover advantage because it will start sales this year. Production Silverado EV aren't expected to be delivered to customers until Spring 2023.

Edited by rperez817
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, kyle said:

I don’t see anybody saying it won’t sell.  But I think the Lightning’s traditional bed and familiar interior will prove more popular with traditional truck buyers.  And I’d bet that Ford has a 400 mile range before Silverado debuts.

52 minutes ago, akirby said:

I don’t see anybody saying it won’t sell.  But I think the Lightning’s traditional bed and familiar interior will prove more popular with traditional truck buyers.  And I’d bet that Ford has a 400 mile range before Silverado debuts.

The previous comment HRG quoted indicated it would not sell-doing this between meetings on the road:). I agree with you about who will be more comfortable with buying the Ford versus Silverado.  

I’m not sure about who rolls out the 400 mile range first though but it is changing almost daily.  

I just wish Ford got rid of the goddamn antenna!  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, kyle said:

The previous comment HRG quoted indicated it would not sell-doing this between meetings on the road:). I agree with you about who will be more comfortable with buying the Ford versus Silverado.  

I’m not sure about who rolls out the 400 mile range first though but it is changing almost daily.  

I just wish Ford got rid of the goddamn antenna!  

Oh I see now.  That was based on the $100k price which wasn’t accurate.