2024 Chevrolet Silverado EV Revealed with 664 HP, 400-Mile Range

silvrsvt

2 hours ago, kyle said:

I just wish Ford got rid of the goddamn antenna!  

Yes sir kyle. The fender mounted AM/FM mast radio antenna takes an otherwise modern product back into the 20th century. For full size pickups it's not just Ford that's guilty of this penny pinching though. Among the ICE powered full size pickups in the U.S. market, only Ram pickup and 2022 Toyota Tundra have finally gotten rid of the AM/FM mast antenna by integrating an amplified antenna into the cab mounted sharkfin module. 

Edited by rperez817
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, kyle said:

Anyone that thinks this won’t sell in huge numbers is going to be wrong. The specs are better than Ford’s and deserve credit. The advantage for Ford is this won’t get up and running  for awhile. 

Ford has over a year to up the range of its entry before GM's EV pickup hits the market. Maybe closer to 2 years. So I wouldn't assume Lightning will be in 300 mile range forever. Ford/GM wars are very intense and Ford is probably already scrambling to offer more range on the Lightning. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, FordBuyer said:

Ford has over a year to up the range of its entry before GM's EV pickup hits the market. Maybe closer to 2 years. So I wouldn't assume Lightning will be in 300 mile range forever. Ford/GM wars are very intense and Ford is probably already scrambling to offer more range on the Lightning. 

I think you can count on this.  One benefit of being one of the first to market is you set the baseline that everyone else tries to beat, while your long term strategy has room for performance growth built into the existing design to account for this.  

19 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Yes sir kyle. The fender mounted AM/FM mast radio antenna takes an otherwise modern product back into the 20th century. For full size pickups it's not just Ford that's guilty of this penny pinching though. Among the ICE powered full size pickups in the U.S. market, only Ram pickup and 2022 Toyota Tundra have finally gotten rid of the AM/FM mast antenna by integrating an amplified antenna into the cab mounted sharkfin module. 

I think this matter has been discussed ad nauseam. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

We have also seen them improve and plan improvements each model year to Mach E's figure, so it wouldn't be at all surprising to see them announce higher figures for Lightning as we get closer to launch.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2022 at 9:48 AM, HotRunrGuy said:

I'm not seeing where the Hummer pickup is being offered at $40K, like the base Silverado EV.  Let us know where you saw that.

HRG

I didn't see where a retail version was 40k that's the work truck which won't be an option for everyone. The RST is essentially the Hummer truck 

On 1/10/2022 at 4:06 PM, akirby said:

Oh I see now.  That was based on the $100k price which wasn’t accurate.

"Two trim levels will be available to start. The prices Chevy is quoting—$105,000 for the fully loaded RST on display, and $39,900 for the base and fleet-oriented WT—don't include destination, which is $1695 on the current non-electric Silverado. Chevy says these two prices represent the bookends of the Silverado EV pricing spectrum and that upcoming trim levels will fall between"

What's not 100k? I mean the Lightning will be almost 100k why wouldn't this be? My point is that most people will prefer the look of the Hummer over the Silverado imo, especially since the body is so similar. Chevy went too round on the front end for me.

10 hours ago, Justdatdude said:

What's not 100k? I mean the Lightning will be almost 100k why wouldn't this be? My point is that most people will prefer the look of the Hummer over the Silverado imo, especially since the body is so similar.

Sounded like you were implying that all Silverado EVs would be $100k like Hummer which isn’t true at all.  Both Silverado EV and Lightning start at $40K and go up from there.  They’re not all $100k or even close.

• Like 1

Lightning goes up quick. I was going to get an XLT but it jumps to $70k with the LR battery and lacks a lot of the features I’ve become accustomed to in my Mach-E.  Based on winter performance of my Mach there’s no way I’d get the smaller battery on one of these. 

29 minutes ago, sullynd said:

Lightning goes up quick. I was going to get an XLT but it jumps to $70k with the LR battery and lacks a lot of the features I’ve become accustomed to in my Mach-E.  Based on winter performance of my Mach there’s no way I’d get the smaller battery on one of these. 

Yes but $70k is not $100k.  And you can buy a $40k Lightning.

1 hour ago, mackinaw said:

Just curious, how much reduction in range with winter temperatures? 

I haven’t been driving as much due to WFH but the Guess-o-Meter being off by almost 50%. It’s rated at 270. Over summer I was over 300 miles on a full charge. Today it’s reporting 163. 

55 minutes ago, sullynd said:

I haven’t been driving as much due to WFH but the Guess-o-Meter being off by almost 50%. It’s rated at 270. Over summer I was over 300 miles on a full charge. Today it’s reporting 163. 

That's in line with other numbers I've heard.  Greatly decreased battery range in the winter is an issue manufacturers (OEM and battery) must address if they expect BEV's to catch on in northern climes.

BTW, we had a high temp of 6 degrees on Monday.  Wonder how that kind of cold weather would impact range?

On 1/10/2022 at 11:56 AM, akirby said:

I don’t see anybody saying it won’t sell.  But I think the Lightning’s traditional bed and familiar interior will prove more popular with traditional truck buyers.  And I’d bet that Ford has a 400 mile range before Silverado debuts.

Lightning's 300 mile range is with 1,000 lbs payload. The empty bed range is probably 400 miles as well but Ford was being coy and didn't want to over promise and under deliver. Several media outlets had already reported that when they test drove pre-production Lightning, the estimated range with 80% charge was in the neighborhood of 380 miles. In another word, Ford totally sandbagged the range number.

GM didn't say if Hummer or Silverado's range includes payload... but it probably is empty payload range.

45 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

That's in line with other numbers I've heard.  Greatly decreased battery range in the winter is an issue manufacturers (OEM and battery) must address if they expect BEV's to catch on in northern climes.

BTW, we had a high temp of 6 degrees on Monday.  Wonder how that kind of cold weather would impact range?

It’s up to a balmy 37 here today, but was zero yesterday.  At some point I don’t think it matters how much colder it gets. 

13 minutes ago, akirby said:

Ford obviously knows how to use sharkfins and they put them on the cheapest vehicles, so they are not on F series for some other reason like enhanced range.

Wasn’t there an article recently that stated exactly that?  It’s an issue with range in rural applications. 

24 minutes ago, sullynd said:

Wasn’t there an article recently that stated exactly that?  It’s an issue with range in rural applications. 

I find it slightly funny that they use a whip antenna for best reception in rural areas, on a vehicle that might not make it from one charging station to the next in parts of Montana,,,,

HRG

Jalopnik Ford whipp antenna.JPG

EV charger locations.JPG

• Like 2

7 hours ago, akirby said:

Ford obviously knows how to use sharkfins and they put them on the cheapest vehicles, so they are not on F series for some other reason like enhanced range.

I have no idea why but thinking it is along the lines they have always had this and it gets better AM reception or something. My pet peeve and I own it, but their EV 150 is their most advanced truck and just screams 1970's to me at least. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, kyle said:

My pet peeve and I own it, but their EV 150 is their most advanced truck and just screams 1970's to me at least. 

I agree kyle. It's a legitimate design issue. Among other BEV pickup trucks, Rivian R1T, Chevy Silverado EV, and Hummer EV all use modern AM/FM radio antenna designs.