2024 Chevrolet Silverado EV Revealed with 664 HP, 400-Mile Range

silvrsvt

50 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

I agree kyle. It's a legitimate design issue. Among other BEV pickup trucks, Rivian R1T, Chevy Silverado EV, and Hummer EV all use modern AM/FM radio antenna designs.

Exaggerate much?  Acting as if Ford introduced square wheels lol.

---

Two options I see, aside from keeping it the same:

1) Keep the mast antenna on lower models (say XL, XLT, maybe Lariat) and give models above that a more modern fin.

2) Make some sort of fin standard, with the mast optional for those that still want it.

10 hours ago, rperez817 said:

I agree kyle. It's a legitimate design issue. Among other BEV pickup trucks, Rivian R1T, Chevy Silverado EV, and Hummer EV all use modern AM/FM radio antenna designs.

New F150 actually has 2 low profile shark fins already - one for SiriusXM and one for cell service.  They CHOSE to use the whip antenna for better performance in remote areas as explained by Mike Levine.  If you don’t like it then buy something else and stop whining.

1 hour ago, akirby said:

They CHOSE to use the whip antenna for better performance in remote areas as explained by Mike Levine.  If you don’t like it then buy something else and stop whining.

Ford CHOSE to be cheap. AM/FM sharkfin integrated antennas can provide S/N in remote areas that's just as good or better than metal whip antennas, but that requires proper amplifier and signal conditioning hardware, which increases unit costs.

In the end, even though the whip antenna shown on F-150 Lightning "screams 1970's" as kyle mentioned, there's so much demand for the vehicle that few reservation holders will "buy something else". This is an example of F-150 Lightning's first mover advantage over Silverado EV paying off for Ford. 

On 1/6/2022 at 1:16 AM, rmc523 said:

Good point I didn't think of.

I wonder if Ford will break out Lightning sales as a separate line item, or if they'll lump them into F-Series numbers and just point out Lightning figures in their highlights (i.e. "We sold 70k F-series last month, 10k of which were Lightning").

If you ignore that it's unibody vs. separate cabs/beds.

How about L-150, L-Super Duty etc? Same nomenclature for the different GVWR classes as F-Series when they move to the new platform, and expand availability. The "Lightning" name could morph into a designator for top performance or power rating.

Edited by Chrisgb
add content

34 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Ford CHOSE to be cheap. AM/FM sharkfin integrated antennas can provide S/N in remote areas that's just as good or better than metal whip antennas, but that requires proper amplifier and signal conditioning hardware, which increases unit costs.

If they were cheaping out they would have just used the already existing shark fin with less range like the others and deleted the whip altogether.

2 hours ago, Chrisgb said:

How about L-150, L-Super Duty etc? Same nomenclature for the different GVWR classes as F-Series when they move to the new platform, and expand availability. The "Lightning" name could morph into a designator for top performance or power rating.

They're not changing the name of their core product lol.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2022 at 12:58 PM, sullynd said:

I haven’t been driving as much due to WFH but the Guess-o-Meter being off by almost 50%. It’s rated at 270. Over summer I was over 300 miles on a full charge. Today it’s reporting 163. 

Out of curiosity, are you leaving it plugged in every night when it cold? 

I was under the impression that HVAC for the battery is part of the reason why it suffers so much in the winter time. 

Yes it’s plugged in. Preconditioning gets you the best range, but currently that’s only possible through scheduled departure times. For instance, I knew I was leaving at 7 this morning so I had it set to be ready. Preconditioning is different than remote start. The only way to do it is by schedule, which is not very convenient. 

39 minutes ago, sullynd said:

Yes it’s plugged in. Preconditioning gets you the best range......

Are you having any problem charging in very cold conditions?  I read something last winter about Tesla owners in Winnipeg (I believe) unable to charge their batteries in -20 weather.  The batteries wouldn't take a charge at those temperatures. 

On 1/5/2022 at 1:29 PM, buddysystem said:

Avalanche

On 1/5/2022 at 2:46 PM, akirby said:

I thought the Avalanche and the mid gate was pretty much a flop.

On 1/5/2022 at 3:59 PM, rmc523 said:

This is more Avalanche EV than Silverado EV.

Explanation from Motor Trend why Silverado EV is not called Avalanche. Why the 2024 Chevrolet Silverado EV Isn't Called "Avalanche" (motortrend.com)

When asked about the influence the innovative Avalanche had over the Silverado EV's development, Chevy's Silverado EV vehicle chief engineer Nichole Kraatz told us: "There are design cues that are reminiscent [of Avalanche]. We absolutely did not have Avalanche in mind when we were designing the truck. What drove the design of the truck was really the ground-up approach to the architecture. What were we going for? We were going for 400, or more, miles of range. We were going for design styling that looks more athletic, more sporty. 

While the 2024 Chevrolet Silverado EV is not a remake of the Avalanche, there is no mistaking the form factor, including the triangular sail panels that strengthen the back of the cab and help the Silverado EV to attain some of the best aerodynamic numbers ever seen on a full-size pickup.

You know pickup trucks can get really good aerodynamics in the front corners, and as you go along the side of the truck, the air lifts off. So, the sail panels are keeping the air tucked in along the whole body side of the truck and that's part of why we get impressive range.

So, if you think about starting with a pass-through and getting a pass-through designed, then you say, 'well, why not let the whole thing be open?,' you walk yourself into a midgate. It's not like we said let's redo an Avalanche, it was never the conversation.

We don't want to dictate to the customer how to use the vehicles. We want to give them a vehicle that is capable of just about anything they can imagine. We are designing it for versatility and what the customers can do with it, with awesome styling. "

So, there you have it, the Chevrolet Silverado EV is its own truck and one that was designed to stand on its own.

On 1/14/2022 at 6:38 PM, mackinaw said:

Are you having any problem charging in very cold conditions?  I read something last winter about Tesla owners in Winnipeg (I believe) unable to charge their batteries in -20 weather.  The batteries wouldn't take a charge at those temperatures. 

Yeah, you really have to wonder how well all electric will work in extreme cold climates that don't see 32 degrees for weeks on end. Even ICE struggles with those extreme temps. Guess that is many ICE batteries fail during winter and need to be jump started. I still remember my MI winter motorist days vividly. 

33 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

So they started out designing a Silverado EV.  And wound up designing Avalanche 2.0.

That's what Motor Trend implied when they said in the article "we still think it should have been called Avalanche in a nod to its predecessor that was clearly ahead of its time."  In fact, Silverado EV may be even more "clearly ahead of its time" than the original Avalanche.

• Haha 1

On 1/13/2022 at 11:03 AM, Chrisgb said:

On 1/13/2022 at 1:10 PM, rmc523 said:

They're not changing the name of their core product lol.

To clarify, I mean keep all the F-Series nomenclature for the ICE & Hybrids, and use L- for the BEV trucks in parallel. 

Given that Farley likes to trademark names from the past, maybe call the BEVs "Big Job." The logo would still work...

64-34077.jpg

15 hours ago, rmc523 said:

So they started out designing a Silverado EV.  And wound up designing Avalanche 2.0.

That pretty much sums it up, as I see no relationship to the Silverado line.  

15 hours ago, rperez817 said:

In fact, Silverado EV may be even more "clearly ahead of its time" than the original Avalanche.

Perhaps in respect to GM itself, but compared to other manufacturers I’m not seeing anything that is “ahead of its time.”  

2 hours ago, Chrisgb said:

To clarify, I mean keep all the F-Series nomenclature for the ICE & Hybrids, and use L- for the BEV trucks in parallel. 

Given that Farley likes to trademark names from the past, maybe call the BEVs "Big Job." The logo would still work...

64-34077.jpg

Yes, I understand what you were saying.  With things transitioning long term to BEV, calling a BEV F-150 "L-150" IS changing the name of their core product.

Yesterday GM announced a 2nd assembly plant for Silverado EV as well as electric GMC Sierra. They are converting Orion Assembly to produce those trucks. Combined production capacity for BEV pickup trucks at Factory Zero plus Orion Assembly when fully ramped up will be 600,000 units per year. GM Accelerates its Drive to Lead the EV Industry with $7 Billion Investment in Michigan, Creating 4,000 New Jobs and Retaining 1,000

3 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Yesterday GM announced a 2nd assembly plant for Silverado EV as well as electric GMC Sierra. They are converting Orion Assembly to produce those trucks. Combined production capacity for BEV pickup trucks at Factory Zero plus Orion Assembly when fully ramped up will be 600,000 units per year. GM Accelerates its Drive to Lead the EV Industry with $7 Billion Investment in Michigan, Creating 4,000 New Jobs and Retaining 1,000

That is great news that GM is investing $7 billion in MI after Ford invested $6 billion in other states. Kudos to GM. Now Ford has pressure to do something with Flat Rock plant. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

FordBuyer, do you think that Ford will shut down that plant completely in the next few years?

I have no knowledge, but I would think that Ford is proud of its relations with the UAW and closing Flat Rock would be very negative when Ford can't meet demand of many of its vehicles. Especially when GM is making huge investments in MI. Certainly puts pressure on Ford to give MI a bigger slice of the BEV pie I would think. I would think the UAW is already stressed out by pivot to BEV and how it will affect Ford blue collar jobs. 

• Thanks 1

GM CEO Mary Barra mentioned in the 2021 Full-Year and Q4 Letter to Shareholders that "more than 110,000 Silverado EVs are reserved so far" and the numbers are growing fast. 2021 Full-Year and Q4 Letter to Shareholders (gm.com)

Like everyone else making BEV pickup trucks, the biggest challenge for GM regarding the success of Silverado EV is building them fast enough to meet demand.

• 2 months later...
On 1/26/2022 at 4:44 PM, FordBuyer said:

I have no knowledge, but I would think that Ford is proud of its relations with the UAW and closing Flat Rock would be very negative when Ford can't meet demand of many of its vehicles. Especially when GM is making huge investments in MI. Certainly puts pressure on Ford to give MI a bigger slice of the BEV pie I would think. I would think the UAW is already stressed out by pivot to BEV and how it will affect Ford blue collar jobs. 

A. Ford is already closing a plant by the time the current contract ends

B. Current Inability to meet demand has exactly zero to do with plant capacity. 

5 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Just as Stellantis did with its tweet for BEV Ram pickup, today GM is taking advantage of the Ford F-150 Lightning launch event to put out a video advertisement for Silverado EV.

Not so much taking advantage. More like hey we also have a (super ugly) Electric truck coming!