2024 Chevrolet Silverado EV Revealed with 664 HP, 400-Mile Range

silvrsvt

On 2/2/2022 at 12:31 PM, rperez817 said:

GM CEO Mary Barra mentioned in the 2021 Full-Year and Q4 Letter to Shareholders that "more than 110,000 Silverado EVs are reserved so far" and the numbers are growing fast. 2021 Full-Year and Q4 Letter to Shareholders (gm.com)

Like everyone else making BEV pickup trucks, the biggest challenge for GM regarding the success of Silverado EV is building them fast enough to meet demand.

Barra mentioned in today's Q1 2022 Letter to Shareholders that Silverado EV reservations continue to increase rapidly, it's now past 140,000. Pre-production units will be built starting this year. Mass production kicks off in early 2023. Q1 2022 Letter to Shareholders (gm.com)

1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

Barra mentioned in today's Q1 2022 Letter to Shareholders that Silverado EV reservations continue to increase rapidly, it's now past 140,000. Pre-production units will be built starting this year. Mass production kicks off in early 2023. Q1 2022 Letter to Shareholders (gm.com)

As long as they ship by rail. The railfan in me would love to see the CN Lake Orion sub to be reactivated. 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

As long as they ship by rail. The railfan in me would love to see the CN Lake Orion sub to be reactivated. 

I'd be surprised if that happens, probably be turned into a rail trail.  PSR is the slow downfall of railroading nationwide, CN's (and all of class 1) shit service of late I suspect it will be trucks to inter-modal where they will get loaded. The STB needs to drop some hard hammers and beat the shit out of the admin side of the railroad industry. I'm normally not at all for government intervention but what the class 1 are doing is criminal. Allowing allowing mainlines and spurs to deteriorate and then file for abandonment to the point where no one wants them to keep competition out of the areas. Toss in the very crazy vocal Trail community that wants walking trails and will do everything in their power to outlaw railroads and its the death of railroads in the NA market.

5 hours ago, jasonj80 said:

I'd be surprised if that happens, probably be turned into a rail trail.  PSR is the slow downfall of railroading nationwide, CN's (and all of class 1) shit service of late I suspect it will be trucks to inter-modal where they will get loaded. The STB needs to drop some hard hammers and beat the shit out of the admin side of the railroad industry. I'm normally not at all for government intervention but what the class 1 are doing is criminal. Allowing allowing mainlines and spurs to deteriorate and then file for abandonment to the point where no one wants them to keep competition out of the areas. Toss in the very crazy vocal Trail community that wants walking trails and will do everything in their power to outlaw railroads and its the death of railroads in the NA market.

That line will never become a rail trail. It crosses right by Great Lakes Crossing and at the intersection of Joslyn Rd and Brown (Behind the Meijer there). That's way too busy of an area for a rail trail. Not to mention it crosses Joslyn Rd. two more times north of there for some godforsaken reason. I know it's wishful thinking. Seems like a good opportunity for a short line to come in and run it but that sub was built specifically for GM and it hasn't been used since the G6 was still in production. CN just recently posted exempt signs on all the grade crossings north of where the line is severed at Collier Rd. Some of the crossings have been paved over. Giddings Rd. crossing definitely had the rails removed. The Stamping plant does get occasional rail service though. 

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

That line will never become a rail trail. It crosses right by Great Lakes Crossing and at the intersection of Joslyn Rd and Brown (Behind the Meijer there). That's way too busy of an area for a rail trail. Not to mention it crosses Joslyn Rd. two more times north of there for some godforsaken reason. I know it's wishful thinking. Seems like a good opportunity for a short line to come in and run it but that sub was built specifically for GM and it hasn't been used since the G6 was still in production. CN just recently posted exempt signs on all the grade crossings north of where the line is severed at Collier Rd. Some of the crossings have been paved over. Giddings Rd. crossing definitely had the rails removed. The Stamping plant does get occasional rail service though. 

Familiarity with that line, CN makes me very angry -- family member owns a business that actually backed up to it. Actually that is why the rail trail folks will love it, we can walk to the mall and right though the shopping area, can even bike to downtown Pontiac plus the old part of that line is already a rail trail just north of there - Pollyanna trail, with the old rail line used to go all the way to Lake Huron. It could tie into the Clinton river trail will be the push. 

CN won't maintain it now, let it turn to trash over the next few year then get state/fed money if GM wants it open again to reactivate it (Save in maintenance costs) Or just file to abandon it and the county will buy it and they will get 5-10million for it. 

18 minutes ago, jasonj80 said:

Familiarity with that line, CN makes me very angry -- family member owns a business that actually backed up to it. Actually that is why the rail trail folks will love it, we can walk to the mall and right though the shopping area, can even bike to downtown Pontiac plus the old part of that line is already a rail trail just north of there - Pollyanna trail, with the old rail line used to go all the way to Lake Huron. It could tie into the Clinton river trail will be the push. 

CN won't maintain it now, let it turn to trash over the next few year then get state/fed money if GM wants it open again to reactivate it (Save in maintenance costs) Or just file to abandon it and the county will buy it and they will get 5-10million for it. 

Rumor I've heard of the railfan forum I'm a member of says CN is basically abandoning it without formally abandoning it just in case GM decides to start shipping by rail again, as unlikely as that is. The term that was quoted from a CN employee was "abandomnent-in-place". 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

GM is on track to start production of Silverado EV and Sierra EV at its Orion Assembly plant in Michigan next year. Chevy Bolt production at that plant will end at that plant in Q4 2023. Expected production capacity for GM BEV pickup trucks overall is 600k units a year. Production of Chevrolet Bolt EVs to stop by end of 2023 as GM focuses on electric pickups (msn.com)

• 4 weeks later...

GM announced that expected range for 2024 Silverado EV has been upgraded to 450 miles on a full charge. Their statement below about its "closest on-sale competitor" is a jab against Ford. ;) Chevy upgrades Silverado EV electric pickup to 450 miles of range | Electrek

Chevrolet has some electrifyingly good news to share today! The Silverado EV Work Truck’s EPA-estimated range is in: 450 miles on a full charge. With this official estimate, the Silverado EV WT is expected to offer over 100 miles more than its closest on-sale competitor.

2 hours ago, rperez817 said:

GM announced that expected range for 2024 Silverado EV has been upgraded to 450 miles on a full charge. Their statement below about its "closest on-sale competitor" is a jab against Ford. ;) Chevy upgrades Silverado EV electric pickup to 450 miles of range | Electrek

Chevy Silverado EV Work Truck range: How does 450 miles sound? - Autoblog

This autoblog article said it starts at $80k plus shipping/destination.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...