EV NEWS: Chrysler Airflow EV concept

rmc523

https://www.autoblog.com/2022/01/05/chrysler-airflow-concept-reveal-ces-electric-car-future/

Chrysler was light on mechanical details. All the company said was that it features two 201-horsepower electric motors, one at the front, the other at the rear for all-wheel drive. Exact battery capacity wasn't given, but Chrysler says range should be between 350 and 400 miles. Additionally, the car supposedly features SAE Level 3 semi-autonomous driver assist under the name STLA AutoDrive.

Chrysler hasn't explicitly said the Airflow is coming to production, but this concept looks like it's almost ready for market. The brand also said that its first EV is coming before 2025, a step towards going fully electric by 2028.

Chrysler Airflow Concept

Chrysler Airflow Concept

Chrysler Airflow Concept

Chrysler Airflow Concept

• Like 1

1 hour ago, T-dubz said:

Is it just the angle of the pic or is Chrysler going with the cab-forward design again? Not sure I’d I like that, however that interior is nice.

It's more cab forward.

Overall I actually think it looks pretty good, even if conservative/derivative.  They borrowed elements from all over and made a nice looking vehicle.

10 hours ago, rmc523 said:

It's more cab forward.

It's more due to using the EV skateboard to differently proportion the vehicle - I think these EVs will have much more interior space relative to their wheelbase, ala the EV Jag. The Chevy Equinox EV shows the same proportions (check out the one in the background):chevrolet-equinox_100822953_h.jpg

2 hours ago, Harley Lover said:

It's more due to using the EV skateboard to differently proportion the vehicle - I think these EVs will have much more interior space relative to their wheelbase, ala the EV Jag. The Chevy Equinox EV shows the same proportions (check out the one in the background):

That’s the big advantage of the EV platform.  No engine and transmission and driveline to dictate wheel and firewall location.  Truly a clean sheet.

5 hours ago, Harley Lover said:

It's more due to using the EV skateboard to differently proportion the vehicle - I think these EVs will have much more interior space relative to their wheelbase, ala the EV Jag. The Chevy Equinox EV shows the same proportions (check out the one in the background):chevrolet-equinox_100822953_h.jpg

Oh I know why.  Just answering the question of whether it was more cab forward or not.  Without an engine up front, you don't need a longer hood, aside from for styling purposes.

The rear of that Equinox looks too much like the Envision to me.

2022 Buick Envision: Review, Trims, Specs, Price, New Interior Features,  Exterior Design, and Specifications | CarBuzz

This has an odd shape to me. The back looks strange, but it’s similar to other EVs. With the shorter front, it doesn’t look as good as a traditionally styled suv. Guess this new aerodynamic form factor will just take some getting used to. 

I think the Ioniq 5 looks better. Its angular design helps hide the jellybean look that so many of these EVs suffer from.

On 1/6/2022 at 12:52 PM, rmc523 said:

Oh I know why.  Just answering the question of whether it was more cab forward or not.  Without an engine up front, you don't need a longer hood, aside from for styling purposes.

The rear of that Equinox looks too much like the Envision to me.

2022 Buick Envision: Review, Trims, Specs, Price, New Interior Features,  Exterior Design, and Specifications | CarBuzz

That was my first thought as well