New Ford SUV Prototype Spied, Could Revive Fusion Moniker

Random thought, could this be the Maverick Utility, cancelled late in development like CD6 Edge?

if that’s so then maybe the business case can be revived if appropriate….

Either way, I agree that this is a clever rework of C2 to give another utility with hybrid/PHEV option.

Could this be successor to Escape with current Escape reverting to European Kuga name.

Looks very car like to me, maybe that’s precisely what’s needed for a new Fusion…..

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Random thought, could this be the Maverick Utility, cancelled late in development like CD6 Edge?

if that’s so then maybe the business case can be revived if appropriate….

Either way, I agree that this is a clever rework of C2 to give another utility with hybrid/PHEV option.

Could this be successor to Escape with current Escape reverting to European Kuga name.

Looks very car like to me, maybe that’s precisely what’s needed for a new Fusion…..

Looks too big to be Maverick related to me.

7 hours ago, sullynd said:

Even the second line? ;)

Never say never, there is always a tent. 

There is no second line, the place was reconfigured after Mazda left so that Fusion and Mustang were built down the same line, Lincoln Continental was added after that. You can see the issue with the carries used to transport cars down the final trim in this tour video

5 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Wonder if this is the rumored Subaru fighter for NA thats been talked about. 

I already posted on last page. Pretty sure this is the Evos squareback that Ford promised will replace Fusion and Mondeo wagon.

50909019312_c2a64cc878_b.jpg

51097478667_e220ca39ea_b.jpg

new-ford-suv-prototype-spied-could-revive-fusion-moniker_25.jpg

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Which rumor is that in itself has been delayed by a year. I have it on very good firsthand authority that there is /some/ more modern equipment being installed in the very near term. 

The latest info which was shared by Autoline Daily (quoting Auto Forecast Solutions) was that S650 starts production in March of 2023.  Ford Authority added this would make it a '24MY. I thought S650 would launch in Jan of 2023, so it's only delayed by a few months, not a year, if I'm understanding correctly.

The S550 '22MY started production on the 3rd of this month, so if it were to get a full 12 month run, the '22MY would end in December 2022. Would Ford need 2 to 3 months to retool for S650 launching in March 2023?

The alternative would be that the '22MY only runs until September, then an even shorter '23MY could, in theory, run from September 2022 to February 2023, leaving a few weeks to retool for S650.

But if anyone knows more, please let us know! :)

6 hours ago, bzcat said:

I already posted on last page. Pretty sure this is the Evos squareback that Ford promised will replace Fusion and Mondeo wagon.

Maybe it’s the camouflage but the rear roofline looks a lot higher to me.  Otherwise I think you’re right.

Its definitely not a BEV - you can see the C2/FWD dictated wheel location.

11 hours ago, bzcat said:

new-ford-suv-prototype-spied-could-revive-fusion-moniker_25.jpg

The proportions - not to mention front end details - don't match in my eyes.

I'm still not sure this is a US-directed model.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I'm wondering if its just a new top hat on the Evos

I agree it seems like the front end is taller then the Evos and is like a Edge or Explorer.

The other thing is that we haven't seen any products in NA with the new design cues that are being used in the Chinese market yet either. 

22 hours ago, rmc523 said:

The camo one could be an updated version for NA. Different front clip for 5mph & pedestrian impact, & DOT-spec lighting perhaps. The 7/8 perspective of the Auto Bild pics make it difficult to tell if the rear clip is different. There is no fixed pane in the rear door glass of the camo, guessing a design evolution?

On 1/6/2022 at 9:55 PM, rmc523 said:

Doesn't quite make sense to me, though, as it's well known Edge is on the way out via a BEV replacment.  Why would you come out with a similar product if you're set to replace that product? 

Though I guess if they introduce a more upright "Explorer Sport", that could allow them to push an Edge BEV in a more sporting, coupe-like direction since it wouldn't need to be as practically shaped with another 2-row midsizer in the showroom.

I agree with you it is a bit weird but as you say maybe it is an Explorer sport that allow the Edge BEV to be more sporty. Also I am thinking something to better compete with Grand Cherokee/Grand Cherokee L?

2 hours ago, Chrisgb said:

The camo one could be an updated version for NA. Different front clip for 5mph & pedestrian impact, & DOT-spec lighting perhaps. The 7/8 perspective of the Auto Bild pics make it difficult to tell if the rear clip is different. There is no fixed pane in the rear door glass of the camo, guessing a design evolution?

The biggest difference is in the hood to front grill line, it’s much more upright like the Edge or Explorer, where as the Evos/fusion is more slanted or rounded down. 

The greenhouse is very similar to Evos and the doors are the same. 

I’m guessing it’s going to be like the difference between the C-max and Escape styling wise. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chrisgb said:

This seems much taller to me than the lower slung Mondeo/Evos, and more typical CUV in stance vs. just a wagon version of those two products.

On 1/7/2022 at 11:35 AM, passis said:

Probably, with Ecosport and Edge going away...

Personally, I say replace the EcoSport with the Puma, if it's economically feasible to do so. Then replace the edge with the upcoming ev explorer, which is rumored to be a 5 seater, and closer in size to the edge. I used to support replacing the edge with the evos, but the sloping roofline on the evos is going to deter a lot of people buying midsized crossovers I think.

3 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

Personally, I say replace the EcoSport with the Puma, if it's economically feasible to do so. Then replace the edge with the upcoming ev explorer, which is rumored to be a 5 seater, and closer in size to the edge. I used to support replacing the edge with the evos, but the sloping roofline on the evos is going to deter a lot of people buying midsized crossovers I think.

Except EV Explorer is a three row Utility