New Ford SUV Prototype Spied, Could Revive Fusion Moniker

1 hour ago, DeluxeStang said:

Is it a 3 row? I could have sworn that some insiders in this site were claiming it was going to be a smaller explorer "sport" with 2 rows.

No, that was when certain folks mistakenly thought that mid-sized utility only applied to Edge/Nautilus and completely missed the references to GE2 supporting a three row mid sized utility. It doesn’t matter now because plans have changed again.

Thinking hypothetically, merging two row and three row mid sized vehicles as SWB and LWB versions of the same vehicle makes a lot of sense and perhaps would achieve what couldn’t be done with CD6 Edge and Explorer (due to expense). I’m not saying that’s happening, just that there’s an opportunity to look at scales of economy over the next three years……

Edited by jpd80

7 hours ago, ausrutherford said:

Maybe this vehicle explains this Trademark with the USPTO a couple months ago:

https://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4802:r96gh4.2.26

That search is expired.  Which one were you referring to?

18 hours ago, ausrutherford said:

There was suppose to be a 3 row crossover to replace the Grand C-Max, but seemed to have stalled.

Maybe this is finally it.

The rear undercarriage does not appear to be similar to the Maverick or Bronco Sport, but more in line with the Escape.  

I guess my sense of size/scale of this thing is way off.  It looks bigger to me.

2 hours ago, rmc523 said:

That search is expired.  Which one were you referring to?

I guess my sense of size/scale of this thing is way off.  It looks bigger to me.

There are three recent trademark of windshield easter eggs - 1 for the Bronco, 1 for Explorer, and 1 for a crossover that can't be id'ed.

Edited by ausrutherford

On 1/8/2022 at 5:33 PM, ausrutherford said:

There was suppose to be a 3 row crossover to replace the Grand C-Max, but seemed to have stalled.

Maybe this is finally it.

The rear undercarriage does not appear to be similar to the Maverick or Bronco Sport, but more in line with the Escape.  

Hemm.... You mean the 3-row Grand Kuga that never happened? Maybe but the mystery SUV is a lot bigger than what Ford Europe asked for on the Grand Kuga.

They are all C2 vehicles but you can see the mystery SUV has much longer wheelbase. The rear door is at least 5 or 6" longer than Escape.

The side mirror and flush door handles are from Mondeo/Evos and not Escape/Bronco/Maverick. The front fender is also the same general shape as Evos. Note the location of the driving lights below the LED lights, and the change in surface geometry just above the front wheel arch. 

The camo is playing tricks on our eyes. Evos hides the tall front fenders with blacked out wheel arch that "disappears" when viewed like this where as on the mystery SUV, you are left with the impression that it has taller fenders. 

2020-Escape-side.jpg

new-ford-suv-prototype-spied-could-revive-fusion-moniker_25.jpg

Ford-Evos-profile-side.jpg

Edited by bzcat

8 hours ago, bzcat said:

Hemm.... You mean the 3-row Grand Kuga that never happened? Maybe but the mystery SUV is a lot bigger than what Ford Europe asked for on the Grand Kuga.

They are all C2 vehicles but you can see the mystery SUV has much longer wheelbase. The rear door is at least 5 or 6" longer than Escape.

The side mirror and flush door handles are from Mondeo/Evos and not Escape/Bronco/Maverick. The front fender is also the same general shape as Evos. Note the location of the driving lights below the LED lights, and the change in surface geometry just above the front wheel arch. 

The camo is playing tricks on our eyes. Evos hides the tall front fenders with blacked out wheel arch that "disappears" when viewed like this where as on the mystery SUV, you are left with the impression that it has taller fenders. 

2020-Escape-side.jpg

new-ford-suv-prototype-spied-could-revive-fusion-moniker_25.jpg

Ford-Evos-profile-side.jpg

It may share the lower door frame, but the windshield on the mystery SUV is more upright than the EVOS

9 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

If this is based on the Evos, it makes it an oddball-since it wouldn't fit into the NA or EU market plans for the most part and even the Chinese market is moving away from ICE products?

All good questions. No answers until Ford tells us more. 

Remember when we first saw the Equator prototype and we couldn't figure it out what it was either for about a year until Ford revealed that it was replacing Yusheng S350 in the Jiangling Ford line up. For all we know, this could be the Chinese Edge or Nautilus and not Mondeo Active at all. 

Edited by bzcat

10 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

If this is based on the Evos, it makes it an oddball-since it wouldn't fit into the NA or EU market plans for the most part and even the Chinese market is moving away from ICE products?

Yeah, that's what I'm saying - it's weird and doesn't make sense.

But we also see the ICE Mondeo and Zephyr in China, so..... shrug

Edited by rmc523

2 hours ago, bzcat said:

All good questions. No answers until Ford tells us more. 

Remember when we first saw the Equator prototype and we couldn't figure it out what it was either for about a year until Ford revealed that it was replacing Yusheng S350 in the Jiangling Ford line up. For all we know, this could be the Chinese Edge or Nautilus and not Mondeo Active at all. 

Exactly, good post.

I’ve been going over and over the proportions of the mule, it looks like  the wheelbase is shorter than the 112” WB Edge but the length of the rear door looks to be more than Escape…….Equator Sport has a 108” WB which seems to fit, could this be a new vehicle that replaces both Edge and current Escape?

Am I overthinking this?

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

Exactly, good post.

I’ve been going over and over the proportions of the mule, it looks like  the wheelbase is shorter than the 112” WB Edge but the length of the rear door looks to be more than Escape…….Equator Sport has a 108” WB which seems to fit, could this be a new vehicle that replaces both Edge and current Escape?

Am I overthinking this?

You are probably overthinking, yes ?

Someone with photoshop can probably overlay the two image of the prototype and Evos and answer the question on WB pretty fast. The close up photo of the door shows that it may have the same lower rear door as Evos. The upper part of the rear door is different because the roof is straight instead of sloping down.

new-ford-suv-prototype-spied-could-revive-fusion-moniker_11.jpg

1400x0_1_q95_autohomecar__ChwFkmGWQj2AUd3XABT-Dag8z1I942.jpg

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Thank you, now I understand that Evos is the successor to Fusion/Mondeo  but also

perhaps the Edge hatchback too. There seems to be plenty of flexibility in the design……

Yeah, a hybrid sedan/crossover design seems to be the way to go with better aero and still very functional/practical. Basically, my Escape hybrid pictured up above is a sedan/crossover that is a raised Focus hatchback in essence. A good way to meet coming 40mpg average fuel mileage standards. For that matter, the Explorer looks like a raised station wagon. 

2 hours ago, FordBuyer said:

Yeah, a hybrid sedan/crossover design seems to be the way to go with better aero and still very functional/practical. Basically, my Escape hybrid pictured up above is a sedan/crossover that is a raised Focus hatchback in essence. A good way to meet coming 40mpg average fuel mileage standards. For that matter, the Explorer looks like a raised station wagon. 

Absolutely

One of the big failings of CAFE was making the fuel economy regs too tough for cars and not understanding the changing market. It’s much easier for automakers to move away from them and sell more profitable utilities that are just different enough from cars  to avoid things like the 40 mpg limit for compact sedans.

While hybrid may help cars meet increasing mileage regs, it preferentially favours the city cycle where the speed differential is greatest, allowing more use of the electric side compared to the more steady state highway cycle. At some point, hybrid tech in cars won’t be enough, they’ll need to be BEV.

Edited by jpd80

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, ausrutherford said:

Vehicle has now been caught in China. Their media is calling it the next Territory:

https://www.autohome.com.cn/news/202202/1237718.html#pvareaid=2028166

This is not the same vehicle as this one in this thread.

The one from China is indeed the new Territory which is a compact and cheaper... note the exposed conventional door handle and smallish wheels/tires.

The one in this thread is midsize and based on the Evos. It has hidden door handle and 20+ inch wheels/tires.

Edited by bzcat

41 minutes ago, bzcat said:

This is not the same vehicle as this one in this thread.

The one from China is indeed the new Territory which is a compact and cheaper... note the exposed conventional door handle and smallish wheels/tires.

The one in this thread is midsize and based on the Evos. It has hidden door handle and 20+ inch wheels/tires.

Hmm...you are right. I went by the belt line which looked the same. 

New thread time...