New Ford SUV Prototype Spied, Could Revive Fusion Moniker

On 1/6/2022 at 3:55 PM, rmc523 said:

Doesn't quite make sense to me, though, as it's well known Edge is on the way out via a BEV replacment.  Why would you come out with a similar product if you're set to replace that product?

Though I guess if they introduce a more upright "Explorer Sport", that could allow them to push an Edge BEV in a more sporting, coupe-like direction since it wouldn't need to be as practically shaped with another 2-row midsizer in the showroom.

I've been seeing those reports about the Edge but I don't think that it's true. 

I'm am design student here in Detroit and a few of my instructors currently work in the industry full time.

I am in class now and he confirmed that he's currently assisting on the next gen Edge. I explicitly asked about the cancelation reports and he said "No, I'm filled up with Edge parts." I leave his exact answer out but I did I ask him was it ICE or BEV, he talked about why it made sense for Ford "separated" the EV work, what it means for engineers & designers, and how Ford it committing to still producing ICE models for the time being. I asked him about timeframe, and he said in general, at this stage, it's likely about a year and a half from being on the road.

So unless he's mistaken, the Edge isn't dead.

Edited by Willwll313wll
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ExplorerDude said:

He’s correct that the Edge program isn’t dead per say…..the China Edge program is continuing and moving towards its full redesign but the Edge program for NA was shelved. Unless something changed recently but I don’t think it did.

Ah okay that makes sense. Thanks for that. 

I've always been a fan of the Edge. And thought it always had potential to actually, push the edge for Ford. Pun Intended. Do what the name entails. I remember the first gen Edge tag-line, something like "Ford lives on the Edge" or something, with the Edge driving on top of buildings... That was fun...

1 hour ago, ExplorerDude said:

He’s correct that the Edge program isn’t dead per say…..the China Edge program is continuing and moving towards its full redesign but the Edge program for NA was shelved. Unless something changed recently but I don’t think it did.

It's always odd when brands make decisions like this, ford has already spent hundreds of millions, if not billions in developing a next generation edge. Yet they're keeping it for the Chinese market only, and refusing to offer it in other markets where midsized SUVs are selling like crazy. Is ford going to develop another midsized SUV to replace the edge in N. America? Because if so, that just seems like a really inefficient way to do things.

16 minutes ago, DeluxeStang said:

It's always odd when brands make decisions like this, ford has already spent hundreds of millions, if not billions in developing a next generation edge. Yet they're keeping it for the Chinese market only, and refusing to offer it in other markets where midsized SUVs are selling like crazy. Is ford going to develop another midsized SUV to replace the edge in N. America? Because if so, that just seems like a really inefficient way to do things.

It might come down to allocation of production capacity; with OAC (Edge's current home) already committed to EV production in the near future, an IC Edge wouldn't have a waiting production home for it to be built in NA.

23 minutes ago, DeluxeStang said:

Pretty risky bet if true when you consider how popular the Edge is. And whether the fed and state governments will continue to subsidize BEVs is very problematic. Looked like a slam dunk a year ago, but not so much anymore. Since BEVs on average at least $10,000  more expensive than ICE, middle income buyers will not move in mass to all electric. Meantime, look to hybrids to carry the load for the next few years at least. 

Edge is popular but so was Fusion and Focus.  It’s always had pretty sizeable rebates so I doubt it was all that profitable.  But it comes down to competing with BEVs for factory space and engineering.  There would still be a lot of resources required to develop and build a North American version. It’s also competing with Bronco Sport and Maverick for drivetrains.  Something has to get cut somewhere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harley Lover said:

It might come down to allocation of production capacity; with OAC (Edge's current home) already committed to EV production in the near future, an IC Edge wouldn't have a waiting production home for it to be built in NA.

There us room at Flat Rock and they were supposed to get another vehicle aside from Mustang.  

2 hours ago, akirby said:

Edge is popular but so was Fusion and Focus.  It’s always had pretty sizeable rebates so I doubt it was all that profitable.  But it comes down to competing with BEVs for factory space and engineering.  There would still be a lot of resources required to develop and build a North American version. It’s also competing with Bronco Sport and Maverick for drivetrains.  Something has to get cut somewhere.

While numbers these days are murky for obvious reasons, the Edge is as popular as the Telluride and Palisades. Both of the later could probably sell in much greater numbers under normal conditions but there are production capacity issues-especially with the Telluride. 

1 hour ago, CKNSLS said:

While numbers these days are murky for obvious reasons, the Edge is as popular as the Telluride and Palisades. Both of the later could probably sell in much greater numbers under normal conditions but there are production capacity issues-especially with the Telluride. 

In normal times, Edge sales averaged around 12,000/month and even now were over 8,000 last month. Don't see how Ford can afford to lose that volume. Mach E averages around 2,500/month. I guess we will have to wait and see what the replacement is. But 12,000/month will be hard to meet. Around here, the Edge is the number 1 selling Ford CUV. And Nautilus is ditto for Lincoln. 

3 hours ago, akirby said:

Sure it had rebates, but even with those rebates it was $10,000+ more than a Fusion similarly equipped. Came down to production location won’t fit at Flat Rock; Louisville would be the only logical fit and while does have some capacity as export production has all but left. But I agree that Ford could also look at it as 12k/ month sales 2k of those go to Escape and 2k go to Explorer and 2k to Mach-e and are okay with those numbers. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Footballfan said:

It may fit if the vehicle is more like an Outback wagon instead of an SUV.

I wonder if Ford will just bring back some kind of sedan, either some kind of fusion replacement, or ideally, this mustang sedan we've all heard about. Ford clearly has no plans to close the flat rock facility, and as it's only making one model, ford could introduce another model to be produced there. Bringing back another sedan would make a lot of sense.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Footballfan said:

It may fit if the vehicle is more like an Outback wagon instead of an SUV.

IMO, that's what we have here. The Edge would be replaced by a lower crossover/wagon that can be built at FRAP, one that would fulfill the promise to the dealers that they would get a new "Fusion" to sell. To my untrained eye, the CUV wagon in the picture from my link above has 19" wheels, which give the vehicle a height of just under 60". I don't know how high a vehicle the restrictions allow at FRAP, however.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/27/2022 at 8:37 AM, CKNSLS said:

But  Telluride and Palisades are both Explorer sized vehicles that don’t get anywhere near Explorer’s sales.  The Edge is a smaller two-row mid sized that sells for similar money as Explorer, that’s why it’s sales have always remained less that some expect.

Edited by jpd80

52 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

How do we know this isn't the BEV Edge replacement and that exhaust pipe is a decoy? 

It is interesting that the natulus and edge have always been platform mates. I believe it was ExplorerDude who said the Lincoln star ev concept previewed what the natulus will be. Makes me wonder if Ford is intending to use that same midsized ev platform for an edge replacement. Time will tell. 

4 hours ago, jpd80 said:

But  Telluride and Palisades are both Explorer sized vehicles that don’t get anywhere near Explorer’s sales.  The Edge is a smaller two-row mid sized that sells for similar money as Explorer, that’s why it’s sales have always remained less that some expect.

Both Hyundai and KIA have a problem that's often quoted on here when a Ford's model volume is less than expected. And that word is "capacity".  There has been a wait for both models-with the KIA being exceptionally so-since the model release. On the other hand-the "Edge" was a solution to a problem that didn't exist. You may be right on the price issue as well-IDK.

Edited by CKNSLS