How to check out new car before final payment

Herrie

Hello,

I am not an experienced car buyer and am expecting delivery of my custom-ordered Ford Bronco Sport Badlands 2022 this February. There have been reports about missing parts, such as the engine cover, hood insulator, and left and right air deflectors under the car.

1) Should the car undergo a full inspection before I make the full payment?

2) What should I look for (I am no mechanic!)?

3) If they tell me Ford has changed what's on the model, is it reasonable to ask for official explanatory documentation from Ford?

4) Ford announced 2022 Trim changes... will this affect the options of a 2022 car ordered in October 2021.

I am concerned that once I make full payment and drive the car off the lot, my dealer will have little incentive to get the missing parts or follow up on my inquiries.

Many thanks for any helpful tips you can give!

Drive safely!

20 minutes ago, Herrie said:

Hello,

I am not an experienced car buyer and am expecting delivery of my custom-ordered Ford Bronco Sport Badlands 2022 this February. There have been reports about missing parts, such as the engine cover, hood insulator, and left and right air deflectors under the car.

1) Should the car undergo a full inspection before I make the full payment?

2) What should I look for (I am no mechanic!)?

3) If they tell me Ford has changed what's on the model, is it reasonable to ask for official explanatory documentation from Ford?

4) Ford announced 2022 Trim changes... will this affect the options of a 2022 car ordered in October 2021.

I am concerned that once I make full payment and drive the car off the lot, my dealer will have little incentive to get the missing parts or follow up on my inquiries.

Many thanks for any helpful tips you can give!

Drive safely!

Ford has no financial incentive to fix anything no matter how you pay - even if you finance it they get their money up front.  So that doesn’t matter.

Anything that’s missing or incorrect part will be fixed by Ford, no question but they’ll probably have to order parts so it won’t be fixed right away anyway.  But if you note them at delivery time that should speed up the repairs.  So good to note at delivery but not required.

What you absolutely need to note is any type of damage so check every square inch of the paint and interior for any type of damage.  Once you drive away it can be hard to prove the damage was there when you bought it.

As long as you have damages noted in writing you’re probably safe.

Thank you, akirby!

That is helpful very information. Never thought about damage issues that could later be blamed on me.

I ordered through a dealer and thought they would like to get their money. But perhaps that's not giving me the leverage I expected.

Have a great day!

You’re correct that you have more leverage with the dealer before you take delivery so that would help with cosmetic issues that the dealer can fix quickly but the dealer can’t control getting parts from Ford.  Any shipping damage or missing parts are covered by the Ford warranty.

• 3 weeks later...

Just figured out the best way for me to get a pre-pickup checkup. I'll send the car for service, which might cost a few hundred but will give me peace of mind and may prevent multiple trips (Omicron concerns). The sales department would tell me the car will/is checked but the service department would be more conscientious as they want to maintain their BBB A+ rating. Here is my list. Am I going overboard? Anything I missed?

1) Confirm that air deflectors (gold items shown in the Ford manual) are installed on both sides. If any are missing and added, please make sure they are undercoated as part of the 3-Way rust protection that is applied.
image.png
2) Confirm the engine cover and hood insulator are installed:
image.png
3) Confirm that the backseat headrest is of the fold-down type and not the non-folding type:
image.png
4) Confirm rear suspension modules are is correctly attached to the subframe.
5) Confirm the front lower control arms are correctly attached and of the correct type.
6) Confirm there are no outstanding recall issues (21S38), 21C31, 21S03, 21S02, ...)
7) Basic lights and fluids checkup as is always done after service.
? Confirm the car body has no cosmetic defects.