2022 escape hybrid

Tommytwo

After waiting 4months for my new 2022 escape hybrid I drove it for 15 minutes before it was back at the dealer and in the service garage.It has a loud thumping noise almost like a flat tire sound coming from the front only when the gas engine kicks in it is quiet when running on the battery.The mechanic couldn’t find what was causing it told me to drive it for a while and it might go away.Well it hasn’t it’s going back to them next week.Has anyone out there experienced anything like this? There is less than 500kms on it.

• Sad 1

• 3 months later...

I took it in to a much bigger dealer than the one I bought it from they have a lot more experience working with hybrid vehicles.I told them that I wanted a mechanic or technicians as they are now called to take it for a test drive with him driving and me in it.As soon as we got it on the road and he accelerated he said yes that’s the sound of a Atkinson cycle engine which has a distinctive sound to it.They also did some diagnostic checks on it for my peace of mind and it was ok. He also said that Ford has been doing what he called a lot of decontenting lately one of the main ones being the acoustic glass on the windshield and the passenger and drivers side it helped keep some of the noise out and entering the passenger cabin, the turn signals on the side mirrors are gone too and probably other things he has not found out yet.I have learned  not to do any hard accelerating when taking off this helps to keep the noise down considerably also it keeps it in battery mode a lot longer.

I’m loving the fuel economy which makes up for the noise.I get around  14 kms combined per litre of gas at $1.80 pre litre here in Ontario I’m saving a lot of money and my wife and I agree it’s a fun car to drive.Let me know what you think when you get yours.

Thank you for responding. I drove a 2008 Escape Hybrid until last year when it died of electrical problems that no shop could resolve. I bought a 2021 Escape SEL model non-hybrid last year. It has eight speeds, which drives me nuts. I drive through residential neighborhoods a lot, and at 25 mph, it sounds and feels like the car is shaking until it slips into the next gear which forces me to speed up. I miss my old hybrid. Thus, my order for the 2022 model of the Escape Hybrid. Hopefully the noise won't be an issue. My '08 Escape probably did not have a lot of sound insulation but it beat the road noise in the '07 model from what I had heard. The current vehicle is very quiet, and I have gotten comments on how quiet it is inside. Hopefully I won't lose too much of that when the new car comes in. I will be glad to follow up, when I am in my new car... If, and when, it is finally built ?