New Ford tailgate patent

18 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

Seems overly complex when they could use something similar to the ridgeline. Dodge went this route with their split tailgate as well. I wonder if there is something about the ridgeline tailgate design that makes it not work on full-size trucks? 

Not sure but Ridgeline sticks out a good 4-5 feet behind the truck whereas Ford and Ram are much shorter and probably work better with trailers attached.

2 hours ago, Deanh said:

maybe Im tired...maybe Im missing something....what exactly is beneficial here?less weight if you want to throw something in the back rather than lower the Tailgate itself?

Not having to reach over the tailgate to get something in the bed,  As it is with the tailgate down you can only reach about 2 feet I to the bed.  With this you can reach almost 4 feet.  I would use it a lot.

• Like 3

No purpose what so ever in my opinion.  

You can't have open while driving down the road... if you do, imagine the damage from a swinging gate.

Why the extra handle (afterthought) - with all the tech, they could just place another button in the "normal" release area to open that gate.

More shit to go wrong for no real purpose.

You have a tailgate step, use it and you can reach anywhere in the bed you'd like.  

Looks like a left over bronco rear gate...  

Just my 2¢

Edited by 22KRTremor

29 minutes ago, 22KRTremor said:

You have a tailgate step, use it and you can reach anywhere in the bed you'd like.  

Drop the tailgate, pull out the step, climb up.  Bend down, pick it up, move it to the tailgate.  Climb down.  Put up step.  Take item off tailgate,  shut tailgate.

VS

Open door.  Take out item.  Close door. 

Yeah, completely useless.   Geez……

I do agree the handle looks horrible.

• Haha 1

Wonder how stable the two remaining gates are when open ?

If one bumped them when removing the item on the bed floor in the center, would there then be alignment and fit issues upon closing center gate ?

With my regular tailgates I often back against a steep bank ditch to load/unload a motorcycle, atv, or riding lawnmower. How strong is this new design regarding integrity to resist the center bending downward ?

I would like to see the stability of all three segments and how they resist damage....

The old man step is an important option for me, and I like to see that it is still there with this design. I would rather have a standard tailgate with the step, rather than this one if it meant the step was eliminated.  The handle on this concept has to go though, it looks terrible.  

I loved the tailgate on my old caprice wagon. It could swing down, or out.  

1) If GM (and Ford?) could do it forty years ago without a gate in a gate why not Ford now?

2) The hinge is on the wrong side for a LHD vehicle. It’s a common complaint with RHD originated imports like the GX460.  It should be on the opposite side so you can load/unload at the curb without having to go around the open gate. 

16 hours ago, akirby said:

Not having to reach over the tailgate to get something in the bed,  As it is with the tailgate down you can only reach about 2 feet I to the bed.  With this you can reach almost 4 feet.  I would use it a lot.

Makes sense I guess...but youll need a barrier/ divider of some type to stop what youre reaching for from slipping towards the cab, which sections/ compromises the bed itself...if not and cargo slides forward, could make said reach 6-8 ft....if you get my drift. I sincerely think its kinda an answer to a question no one asked and this relentless pursuit of overly complex tailgates is actually rather humorous....

1 hour ago, Deanh said:

Makes sense I guess...but youll need a barrier/ divider of some type to stop what youre reaching for from slipping towards the cab, which sections/ compromises the bed itself...if not and cargo slides forward, could make said reach 6-8 ft....if you get my drift. I sincerely think its kinda an answer to a question no one asked and this relentless pursuit of overly complex tailgates is actually rather humorous....

People who actually use truck beds disagree…..

1 hour ago, 30 OTT 6 said:

The standard foot steps molded into each side of the bumpers on the Chevy and GMC trucks was the last great innovation in pickup box access. Simple, effective, and not an eye sore.

I don’t like the way they look but they’re not terrible.  My issue is they’re still kinda high.  My aftermarket step is several inches lower and works much better for us older folks.

17 hours ago, tbone said:

The old man step is an important option for me, and I like to see that it is still there with this design. I would rather have a standard tailgate with the step, rather than this one if it meant the step was eliminated.  The handle on this concept has to go though, it looks terrible.  

I would think it would still be available. Almost seems like the entire purpose of the 20/60/20 split for Ford is to maintain having a tailgate step. Other wise they could do 40/60 like others. This ensures the center section is wide and robust enough for a step. 

24 minutes ago, blazerdude20 said:

I would think it would still be available. Almost seems like the entire purpose of the 20/60/20 split for Ford is to maintain having a tailgate step. Other wise they could do 40/60 like others. This ensures the center section is wide and robust enough for a step. 

Seems it would also let you load long things in between the wheel wells without opening both sides and keeps it shorter so as not to I t’enferme with trailers.  Just a guess.

20 hours ago, akirby said:

Drop the tailgate, pull out the step, climb up.  Bend down, pick it up, move it to the tailgate.  Climb down.  Put up step.  Take item off tailgate,  shut tailgate.

VS

Open door.  Take out item.  Close door. 

Yeah, completely useless.   Geez……

I do agree the handle looks horrible.

Yes - that works assuming the item you're reaching for is still at the back of the bed and has not slid to the front of the bed.  OR - you assume someone has really long arms and can reach all the way in.

Also, it doesn't take much effort to "CLICK" that button on the remote to "Drop" the tailgate - but that's just my opinion...  ;)  

Edited by 22KRTremor