New Ford tailgate patent

23 minutes ago, 22KRTremor said:

Yes - that works assuming the item you're reaching for is still at the back of the bed and has not slid to the front of the bed.  OR - you assume someone has really long arms and can reach all the way in.

Also, it doesn't take much effort to "CLICK" that button on the remote to "Drop" the tailgate - but that's just my opinion...  ;)  

Not all trucks have automatic tailgates.  Mine doesn’t.  If you don’t want it then don’t buy it but don’t assume that it has no benefit to other folks.

19 hours ago, mrgreenjeans said:

Wonder how stable the two remaining gates are when open ?

If one bumped them when removing the item on the bed floor in the center, would there then be alignment and fit issues upon closing center gate ?

With my regular tailgates I often back against a steep bank ditch to load/unload a motorcycle, atv, or riding lawnmower. How strong is this new design regarding integrity to resist the center bending downward ?

I would like to see the stability of all three segments and how they resist damage....

I agree. Each side would likely have to connect to the floor of the bed as well to prevent it from being wobbly, especially the side with the swing out tailgate. It would need to be secured to handle the forces of the gate swinging open.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

I have a better idea for that handle-why not make it flush/recessed with the tailgate? I get why you want a bulky handle (work gloves etc) but I see this being used more by every day customers that wouldn't be working in an oil field or something

I’m not an oil field worker, and I still say the handle has to go, lol. 

3 hours ago, 30 OTT 6 said:

The standard foot steps molded into each side of the bumpers on the Chevy and GMC trucks was the last great innovation in pickup box access. Simple, effective, and not an eye sore.

We will have to agree to disagree on that one. I find that to be an eyesore and pretty much useless considering it is at the same height as the bumper. I do however like GM’s molded step at the front of the bed on their heavy duty models. I think that’s relatively aesthetically pleasing and would be useful without being in the way. The height wouldn’t be as important in that location. 

4 hours ago, Deanh said:

Makes sense I guess...but youll need a barrier/ divider of some type to stop what youre reaching for from slipping towards the cab, which sections/ compromises the bed itself...if not and cargo slides forward, could make said reach 6-8 ft....if you get my drift. I sincerely think its kinda an answer to a question no one asked and this relentless pursuit of overly complex tailgates is actually rather humorous....

The bed extender flipped into the bed provides the solution that you referencing.

On 1/13/2022 at 3:07 PM, akirby said:

Step when the tailgate is up.

At 2 or 3 inches lower than the license plate cutout/step that's already there?  I really don't see the point.

On 1/13/2022 at 3:34 PM, akirby said:

image.thumb.png.7e1ab11ac4717655af213b67b1c938e5.png

Looks terrible.  It'd look far better without the handle, but still don't love the cut lines......but at least they're symmetrical unlike the Ram's.

22 hours ago, tbone said:

The old man step is an important option for me, and I like to see that it is still there with this design. I would rather have a standard tailgate with the step, rather than this one if it meant the step was eliminated.  The handle on this concept has to go though, it looks terrible.  

506533-ford-veut-son-propre-hayon-multifonction.jpg

7 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

I have a better idea for that handle-why not make it flush/recessed with the tailgate? I get why you want a bulky handle (work gloves etc) but I see this being used more by every day customers that wouldn't be working in an oil field or something

They could either do a bottom/underneath of the tailgate handle like Ridgeline, or simpler - have a second electronic button in the release handle, similar to how GM uses multiple electronic buttons on their step tailgate.

7 hours ago, 30 OTT 6 said:

The standard foot steps molded into each side of the bumpers on the Chevy and GMC trucks was the last great innovation in pickup box access. Simple, effective, and not an eye sore.

To each their own - I think a literal massive black hole in the corners of the bumper looks terrible.  If they'd paint the inside/non step surfaces of the notches, I think that'd improve looks significantly.

4 hours ago, 22KRTremor said:

Yes - that works assuming the item you're reaching for is still at the back of the bed and has not slid to the front of the bed.  OR - you assume someone has really long arms and can reach all the way in.

Also, it doesn't take much effort to "CLICK" that button on the remote to "Drop" the tailgate - but that's just my opinion...  ;)  

Ford has had these two versions of bed dividers for years:

Bed extender: how much space does it go back when inverted inside a 5.5 bed  - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans15-22 F150 Ford OEM Bed Divider Kit FL3Z-9900092-A

One issue I see people complaining about is not having the full bed width available when the door is open vs. Ram's setup where you can completely open it (via opening both sides sideways).  With this setup, you're always going to have what, 40% of the bed blocked on each side (20/20).

5 hours ago, akirby said:

Not all trucks have automatic tailgates.  Mine doesn’t.  If you don’t want it then don’t buy it but don’t assume that it has no benefit to other folks.

—————————///

He specifically stated “IMO”.  If you don’t agree with his opinion regarding the functionality of some ridiculous tailgate patent why even respond?  I already know the answer, no need to quote my post.  

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

One issue I see people complaining about is not having the full bed width available when the door is open vs. Ram's setup where you can completely open it (via opening both sides sideways).  With this setup, you're always going to have what, 40% of the bed blocked on each side (20/20).

That’s a good point.

1 hour ago, 02MustangGT said:
6 hours ago, akirby said:

He specifically stated “IMO”.  If you don’t agree with his opinion regarding the functionality of some ridiculous tailgate patent why even respond?  I already know the answer, no need to quote my post.  

His exact quote was “No purpose what so ever in my opinion. ”

That isn’t an opinion or a personal preference.  That is a statement of fact and it’s incorrect because it is very useful in certain circumstances to some people.  

Half the arguments here start because people state personal preferences as facts.  

Opinion and personal preferences

I don’t like it.   I wouldn’t use it,  I wouldn’t pay for it.  I like the other design better.  

Facts

Its useless.  (Incorrect - several uses were pointed out).

Words matter.

2 hours ago, rmc523 said:

I see your point, but don’t you think you are still able to reach the 20s from the center. I don’t think you can necessarily accommodate for every situation.   Each concept will have its compromises, but this version still allows for the old man step, which to me is a huge plus.  

1 hour ago, tbone said:

I see your point, but don’t you think you are still able to reach the 20s from the center. I don’t think you can necessarily accommodate for every situation.   Each concept will have its compromises, but this version still allows for the old man step, which to me is a huge plus.  

My point was more that if you happen to be loading or unloading a "wider than the door" object, you'll have to maneuver around those outer parts to get through the middle opening, or lift over the remaining tailgate parts, negating the point of the door.

But as you say, every setup will have compromises.

Edited by rmc523

51 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

My point was more that if you happen to be loading or unloading a "wider than the door" object, you'll have to maneuver around those outer parts to get through the middle opening, or lift over the remaining tailgate parts, negating the point of the door.

But as you say, every setup will have compromises.

In that case you just lower the tailgate normally.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rmc523 said:

But then you can't get closer to the vehicle which is the entire point of the door.

Right but no solution works in all scenarios.  A one piece swing door is the best for loading/unloading but it won’t work with a trailer or parked close to something and it’s heavy.  I think 90% of what most people carry fits between the wheel wells.  Plywood being the main exception.  But when I carry plywood in my 6.5’ bed I leave the tailgate closed anyway,

On 1/14/2022 at 3:15 PM, akirby said:

Don't assume I was stating it had no benefit to others.  It has no benefit to me.  It's called MY opinion.  

Edited by 22KRTremor

1 hour ago, Joe771476 said:

Why didn't they just go with the dual action tailgate like on the station wagons back in the 70's?  The entire width went down or was hinged.  Handle would not be seen.

I’m guessing there isn’t enough room below the tailgate due to the spare tire and/or it wouldn’t be strong enough.  That would solve all the issues though.

On 1/14/2022 at 7:49 PM, rmc523 said:

At 2 or 3 inches lower than the license plate cutout/step that's already there?  I really don't see the point.

I do, and I'd use it a lot if my truck had it. As it is, I usually step on the ball for the first step to get into the bed of my truck--at 6'2", I'm not exactly vertically challenged, but I'm also not as young and spry as I used to be. And that step in the bumper isn't as deep as I'd like it to be.

FWIW, Reese sees the point, too--they make a step that attaches to the hitch.

https://smile.amazon.com/Reese-Towpower-7060200-Hitch-Step/dp/B00ECW2T38

Edited by SoonerLS

On 1/15/2022 at 8:05 PM, akirby said:

I think 90% of what most people carry fits between the wheel wells.  Plywood being the main exception.  But when I carry plywood in my 6.5’ bed I leave the tailgate closed anyway,

??? Standard plywood sheets are 4'x8', which fits between the wheel wells of every F-100/-150 I've ever driven. 

12 hours ago, SoonerLS said:

I do, and I'd use it a lot if my truck had it. As it is, I usually step on the ball for the first step to get into the bed of my truck--at 6'2", I'm not exactly vertically challenged, but I'm also not as young and spry as I used to be. And that step in the bumper isn't as deep as I'd like it to be.

FWIW, Reese sees the point, too--they make a step that attaches to the hitch.

https://smile.amazon.com/Reese-Towpower-7060200-Hitch-Step/dp/B00ECW2T38

well if you think about it - if this flips out from that plate bumper cutout, it’s going to be no deeper than that is.