Tesla Cyber Truck Cancelled / Postponed indefinity

jasonj80

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Or maybe they never really intended to build it and it was all just a PR stunt.

Kept the stock price up, reservations for cash flow and Tesla Bankruptcy was put off. 

Also could have seen that Ford / Chevy were coming into that market and with focus studies been shown their loyal customers are not going anywhere. Realized those resources would be better spent on updates to its vehicles and Semi work, just like Ford needs to allocated resources they might have realized that capital would be better spent on 3/Y/X/S models. If it was a dog and pony show I'm not sure how wall street would respond. 

44 minutes ago, jasonj80 said:

Also could have seen that Ford / Chevy were coming into that market and with focus studies been shown their loyal customers are not going anywhere......

I suspect this is correct.  I also suspect the clown truck struck out with many focus groups.  The twelve year olds may like it, but the people who actually buy trucks don't.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jasonj80 said:

All references have been removed from the Tesla website will provide an update in two weeks. 

Tesla Cybertruck Looks Delayed Again, Indefinitely | Edmunds

Tesla removes 2022 production date from Cybertruck website - The Verge

I genuinely don't understand why an ev startup with no more than a million yearly sales, terrible quality, and an awful track record of delivering on promises has a valuation of over a trillion dollars. Sure, there's hype around their products, and they have a good charging network, but does that really justify the crazy high valuation?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, akirby said:

Or maybe they never really intended to build it and it was all just a PR stunt.

I doubted from day one the actual release of ANY vehicle that looked like that...I mean how the hell would it pass the "pedestrian safety" test....by slicing them in half????

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I was only half joking about the PR stunt, but I wouldn’t rule it out completely.  I’m guessing that Elon demanded a futuristic truck so they popped out that design and prototype quickly.  But when they started to make it a reality with all the required truck functionality and meeting safety regulations with the performance and price point that Elon promised they came up short.

Which is pretty much what 90% of us said at the time,

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, akirby said:

I was only half joking about the PR stunt, but I wouldn’t rule it out completely.  I’m guessing that Elon demanded a futuristic truck so they popped out that design and prototype quickly.  But when they started to make it a reality with all the required truck functionality and meeting safety regulations with the performance and price point that Elon promised they came up short.

Which is pretty much what 90% of us said at the time,

Elon Musk did say Tesla had an alternate, more truck like design if Cybertruck fell flat. I think we may be seeing that one soon now that Ford and GM showed their cards in this game.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, mackinaw said:

I suspect this is correct.  I also suspect the clown truck struck out with many focus groups.  The twelve year olds may like it, but the people who actually buy trucks don't.

Spot on I suppose. If it does show up in future, I suspect it will be more conventional in design. The design was easy too polarizing if not downright ugly. And competing against the traditional Big 3 in pickups is not easy. 

19 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

I genuinely don't understand why an ev startup with no more than a million yearly sales, terrible quality, and an awful track record of delivering on promises has a valuation of over a trillion dollars. Sure, there's hype around their products, and they have a good charging network, but does that really justify the crazy high valuation?

Boils down to using the stock market to play games to make money. They just haven't had their proverbial oh shit moment where people see past the facade, which might be happening with the Cybertruck. 

14 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Boils down to using the stock market to play games to make money. They just haven't had their proverbial oh shit moment where people see past the facade, which might be happening with the Cybertruck. 

Some day in the not too distant future, Tesla will be seen as just another auto company competing for market share. And when that day comes, the stock price will be adjusted accordingly. For those who own Tesla stock and have done well, the problem will be making the decision of when to sell. Musk certainly has made that decision. 

7 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Yeah, I agree completely. Doug Demuro made a great point, the cybertruck may be the first time Tesla massively under delivers or misses the mark. It's a product that sells itself almost entirely based on novelty and shock factor. But the novelty and wow factor of the cybertruck is already wearing off for basically everyone. By the time it arrives, most people will see it for what it is.

3 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

Yeah, I agree completely. Doug Demuro made a great point, the cybertruck may be the first time Tesla massively under delivers or misses the mark. It's a product that sells itself almost entirely based on novelty and shock factor. But the novelty and wow factor of the cybertruck is already wearing off for basically everyone. By the time it arrives, most people will see it for what it is.

To me, one of the things that has made Tesla successful - or at least to start with the Model S - was that it is/was an attractive vehicle, period, that was also an EV.  It didn't look like a clown car to puff up it's "EV-ness" - it is/was just a sexy car, so it appealed to people.  The X looks like they took an S, attached a tire inflator and kept inflating it too long lol.  The 3 and Y are better than X, but not as "sexy" as the S........but still they're relatively good looking cars.

Fast forward to the Cybertruck - and they've switched the tracks completely and took a siding that goes completely against what arguably made them successful before, and have entered clown car territory.  I understand the "push the envelope" or "zig while the competition zags" (especially in the ultra-competitive truck segment) arguments, but I think they went above and beyond overboard to make something bizarrely different for the sake of being bizarrely different.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, rmc523 said:

To me, one of the things that has made Tesla successful - or at least to start with the Model S - was that it is/was an attractive vehicle, period, that was also an EV.  It didn't look like a clown car to puff up it's "EV-ness" - it is/was just a sexy car, so it appealed to people.  The X looks like they took an S, attached a tire inflator and kept inflating it too long lol.  The 3 and Y are better than X, but not as "sexy" as the S........but still they're relatively good looking cars.

Fast forward to the Cybertruck - and they've switched the tracks completely and took a siding that goes completely against what arguably made them successful before, and have entered clown car territory.  I understand the "push the envelope" or "zig while the competition zags" (especially in the ultra-competitive truck segment) arguments, but I think they went above and beyond overboard to make something bizarrely different for the sake of being bizarrely different.

I agree, the original Model S was a sharp looking car. The model 3 always looked like a drunk frog to me. 

• Like 4

On 1/14/2022 at 9:33 PM, rmc523 said:

Bingo, I think another part of it, was the fact that when Tesla first started making cars, there wasn't any serious competition. So they didn't feel pressured to push the design envelope. Rather, they wanted to appeal to a wide range of people by making attractive ev offerings. But now, they see everyone gunning for them, and it's scared them enough to where they've decided they need to make their cars look "different". 

• 2 weeks later...

During the Tesla Q4 2021 earnings presentation yesterday, the company said "we are making progress on the industrialization of Cybertruck, which is currently planned for Austin production subsequent to Model Y". Based on that schedule, Cybertruck production won't occur in 2022. 

Edited by rperez817

53 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

During the Tesla Q4 2021 earnings presentation yesterday, the company said "we are making progress on the industrialization of Cybertruck, which is currently planned for Austin production subsequent to Model Y". Based on that schedule, Cybertruck production won't occur in 2022. 

“industrialization” ?

On 1/14/2022 at 10:18 AM, FordBuyer said:

Some day in the not too distant future, Tesla will be seen as just another auto company competing for market share. And when that day comes, the stock price will be adjusted accordingly. For those who own Tesla stock and have done well, the problem will be making the decision of when to sell. Musk certainly has made that decision. 

I see it going a different path but agree they won’t be mainstream. Tesla has a large charging network built out and growing monthly. With Tesla finally allowing other manufacturers vehicle to charge at their stations, it can unlock a huge revenue stream. 

I see their future as a charging/infrastructure company and a boutique producer of vehicles. 

• Like 1