F250 vs F350

Truss57

I am about to order a  2022 Platinum Super Duty SRW 4x4 with the 7.3L and 3.55 Electronic rear. Compared to the total cost of the truck a 350 is not that much more then a 250.  The big question is which one would you order?  250? 350?  3.55 axle?  4.30 axle?    90% of the time this truck will be used for fun.!  Retirement gift to myself!  This will not be a work truck at all.  Occasionally trips to the Home Depot for building supplies.  I live by the shore so driving in the sand on the beach could be often for fishing.  I do have future plans of buying a travel trailer but don’t know what size yet.  A slide in camper for the beach could also be in the cards. One big concern is how hard the drive will be when the truck is emty.  Will the 350 drive that much harder then the 250?  I also think about resale in the future.  Which one will hold its value better... and will one be more desirable then the other? 

Thanks for any input!! 

Edited by Truss57

I can’t compare the ride of the 250 vs the 350 because I have not driven a current 250. I own and regularly drive a 2020 350. The roads in my rural neighborhood have been patched so many times I don’t think I can see any of the original asphalt. The 350 rides like a truck, but not jarringly or uncomfortably so. 

My 86 year old Mom is a regular passenger, and I can’t recall her ever complaining about the ride quality. 

The main thing I would suggest you consider is payload. Even a lightweight slide in camper will very quickly have you doing a lot of math to make sure you are not bumping up against your payload limits. 

Check the weights of the types of slide ins you might consider, then look at the Super Duty payload charts.  Don’t forget the weights shown for those slide ins are empty weights. 

Best of luck and congratulations on your retirement and that upcoming retirement toy!

• Like 1

I recently ordered an F350 SRW when I originally was intending to order an F250.  The difference is about $1k, but the F350 has a heavier rear axle and rear suspension.  The F350 I ordered also came with the 3.73 Electronic real differential, which absorbed some of the difference in cost.  I ended up ordering an F350 SRW 7.3 Lariat Ultimate CCSB, and I will have more towing capacity if I upgrade to a 5th wheel in the near future.  I also occasionally pull a trailer for my tractor which can weigh around 9k and has decent tongue weight, so I think the F350 will have less sag with the heavier rear springs.  The dealer advised the empty driving is similar in both the F250 and F350.  I also liked the idea of the 3.73 rear end as a compromise between the 3.55 and 4.30, especially with the 10 speed AT.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

• Like 2

F350 SRW will tow just about anything you might buy, all except maybe the monster toy haulers.  Diesel for you would probably be over kill.  I would go with the smallest numerical ratio you can get with what ever engine you choose.  First couple gears in the trans are pretty low.

I bought CCLB, and will suggest it's tough to park, but my reasons for buying LB are still valid.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Toe Truck said:

I recently ordered an F350 SRW when I originally was intending to order an F250.  The difference is about $1k, but the F350 has a heavier rear axle and rear suspension.  The F350 I ordered also came with the 3.73 Electronic real differential, which absorbed some of the difference in cost.  I ended up ordering an F350 SRW 7.3 Lariat Ultimate CCSB, and I will have more towing capacity if I upgrade to a 5th wheel in the near future.  I also occasionally pull a trailer for my tractor which can weigh around 9k and has decent tongue weight, so I think the F350 will have less sag with the heavier rear springs.  The dealer advised the empty driving is similar in both the F250 and F350.  I also liked the idea of the 3.73 rear end as a compromise between the 3.55 and 4.30, especially with the 10 speed AT.

How is your MPG when empty and not pulling anything?  Thanks!!

16 hours ago, Toe Truck said:

How is your MPG when empty and not pulling anything? Thanks!

I have a 250 supercab 7.3, 3.55 with the 10000gvwr.  Per ford, the max potential payload is 3450, and my truck came in with a payload of around 2900#.  Also got the camper package and the slide in camper certificate says the max camper weight is around 2200#....that was a lower number than I was expecting and while there are campers of that weight out there, it will limit what campers you can use. 

I am happy with the high gearing and do mild to moderate towing.  Never comes close to running out of power.  If you cruise a whole tank out on the highway, you can get mid 15 mpg, but a mix of highway and rural driving to town, the mpg usually ends up at 10-11

• Like 1

I wouldn't consider the 250. I didn't need a 350 but figured I might as well future proof as you are considering. It rides great and tows my trailer fine. I don't have to worry about what I'm towing or how much weight I have in the bed. I've read about too many people that regret getting the 250 when they find that they can't haul what they thought they could due to decreased payload. Good luck, whatever way you go.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Truss57 said:

How is your MPG when empty and not pulling anything? Thanks!

Still waiting on my truck.  Other owners may be able to answer.  I've heard the 4.30 may cost you a mpg with the 7.3 over the 3.55.  Dealer advised he did not believe there would be much of a difference between the 3.73 and the 3.55 in mpg, but the 3.73 would be a little better towing.  Will report after I get it.

Toe Truck

• Like 1

If you don't know what travel trailer you will get, and you don't have a big difference in taxes between the two models in your state, I'd opt for the 350.  They're going to ride the same, but you'll have much more weight capability with the 350.  The 350 has a helper spring in the back.  The 250 with the camper package has the same springs as the 350. If you decide to go with a 5th wheel you'll have all but the biggest and heaviest models covered.  

I'm of the opinion that the 3.55 or the 3.73 (highest in the 350) are more than adequate for all but the max or mountains.  First gear on the new 10 speeds is so low that the final drive gear is very close to, or lower than the final drive gear in the old 6 speed with 4.10.  The 7.3 also does a very nice job developing a lot more of its torque at lower RPM than the old 6.2

My father in law has a 2020 250 with a 7.3 and 3.55 rear end.  He tows a rockwood ultra lite 2608 with it and it does a very nice job.  I've driven it with his camper a couple times and there's no reason to think it couldn't handle several thousand pounds more than the 6500-7000 he is pulling now.  His XLT trim extended cab long bed 4x4 has a 3100 pound payload.  More than enough for him, his ATV, and anything else with a travel trailer.  I have a 350 on order because I'm not sure if I'll get a 5th wheel or bumper pull yet. I expect the payload with a lariat ultimate crew cab to be around 4000lbs.  I do know I'll have a toy hauler that is significantly bigger than what I have now.  

Edited by pilotpip
  • Like 1

Ditto on the state taxes/registration costs. A 3/4 ton truck in Minnesota can cost anywhere from $400 to $700 depending on the MSRP, while 1 ton trucks are a flat $125 a year for registration. Other states are opposite. 

I originally was going to opt for the F250 because of better ride, but then I started considering slide-in campers. The increased payload with the F350 makes it much easier to find a camper that I can use and stay under the payload limits. That combined with the significantly lower registration costs convinced me to go with the F350.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, pilotpip said:

If you don't know what travel trailer you will get, and you don't have a big difference in taxes between the two models in your state, I'd opt for the 350.  They're going to ride the same, but you'll have much more weight capability with the 350.  The 350 has a helper spring in the back.  The 250 with the camper package has the same springs as the 350. If you decide to go with a 5th wheel you'll have all but the biggest and heaviest models covered.  

I'm of the opinion that the 3.55 or the 3.73 (highest in the 350) are more than adequate for all but the max or mountains.  First gear on the new 10 speeds is so low that the final drive gear is very close to, or lower than the final drive gear in the old 6 speed with 4.10.  The 7.3 also does a very nice job developing a lot more of its torque at lower RPM than the old 6.2

My father in law has a 2020 250 with a 7.3 and 3.55 rear end.  He tows a rockwood ultra lite 2608 with it and it does a very nice job.  I've driven it with his camper a couple times and there's no reason to think it couldn't handle several thousand pounds more than the 6500-7000 he is pulling now.  His XLT trim extended cab long bed 4x4 has a 3100 pound payload.  More than enough for him, his ATV, and anything else with a travel trailer.  I have a 350 on order because I'm not sure if I'll get a 5th wheel or bumper pull yet. I expect the payload with a lariat ultimate crew cab to be around 4000lbs.  I do know I'll have a toy hauler that is significantly bigger than what I have now.  

Based on my experience, even pulling a max load in the Rockies is no issue for a 3.55 rear end.

I have towed our 5th wheel with a 2013 F-350 SRW(3.55) rear end that weighed about 15,500 lbs for many thousands of miles through the Rockies with no issues. With a 2016 F-350 DRW (3.73) I could load to 16,500 lbs and again have towed many thousands of miles through the Rockies without issue.

With the new 10-spd, as you noted, it is even less of an issue.

• Like 1

Yeah, but it looks like you're running a power stroke.  That certainly helps.  We have been discussing the 7.3L gas engine (aka Godzilla).

I have a 3.55 in my F-150.  Pulls my current rockwood minilite amazingly well.  It also has a torque curve more like a diesel than most gas engines. 

This is my opinion,,, I have a 2022 F-250 with a Diesel,  if I could, I would change to the F-350. if were to go gas, I would go F-350 with 3.73 gears, to me that's a good middle of the road. You should be able to tow anything you want,  and still get decent fuel mileage,  and have all the payload you need. My uncle went from a 2019 F-250 to a 2020 F-350 .he says the ride is about the same. But Hey, this is just my opinion....

Screenshot_20220105-010612_Photos.jpg

Edited by khansen
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

Looking for some help/advice…just placed my 2023 SD order for an F350 SRW 4x4 with 7.3l and 3.73 axle. I’m second guessing my decision and feel like I should upgrade to the 4.30 axle. I have not seen the 2023 towing specs anywhere for each setup but based on the 2022 set up you would lose 4k in GCWR. I don’t want to feel like I am leaving that on the table for negligible gas mileage. Any recommendations? 

As a side note because I’m sure it will be asked, I’m not towing much now, 10k trailer a couple times a year but as my kids get bigger I want the ability to tow a 12-15k trailer and gear comfortably for the life of the truck…(10+ years)

Thank you!

5 hours ago, Tyvaughan2011 said:

Looking for some help/advice…just placed my 2023 SD order for an F350 SRW 4x4 with 7.3l and 3.73 axle. I’m second guessing my decision and feel like I should upgrade to the 4.30 axle. I have not seen the 2023 towing specs anywhere for each setup but based on the 2022 set up you would lose 4k in GCWR. I don’t want to feel like I am leaving that on the table for negligible gas mileage. Any recommendations? 

As a side note because I’m sure it will be asked, I’m not towing much now, 10k trailer a couple times a year but as my kids get bigger I want the ability to tow a 12-15k trailer and gear comfortably for the life of the truck…(10+ years)

Thank you!

Only you can make that decision based on the information available at this point.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/14/2022 at 11:39 PM, road turtle said:

Member here showed the final drive ration comparison between 6pd of yesterday with 4.3 to today's 10spd ratio with 3.31.  I have the 6.7 with 3.31 and have not gone wanted for a 4.3 while towing.

Don't think you can get the 4.30 with the Power Stroke, only the 7.3.

Today I just picked up 2 18ft grain silos and took my car trailer where I should have taken the equipment trailer (but already have it loaded down with 12k of material/crap?).

Car trailer is 1500lbs and I had 9000 lbs on it (way overweighted, axles were arching) but it was a nice balanced load, pulled it 45 miles.

7.3 4.30 cclb.

Truck pulls 10k like there is barely anything back there, hauling, but in this conversation i am speaking acceleration, gear and engine rpm wise. I know there are guys pulling 22-25k (20k max legally) gooseneck with the 7.3 4.30s and saying it pulls great (illegal as hell but does the job without a struggle)

The 4.30 has a purpose...hauling max cargo (4500 In my trucks case) and heavy loads frequently ,12 15, 20k lbs but not frequently enough to warrant a diesel truck.

20221119_134726.jpg

Edited by IUEC135ELEVATOR