2022 Hybrid Escape

Tommytwo

When the escape is running with the gas engine it is making a putt putt noise almost like a exhaust leak. It doesn't make this sound when idling or driving in battery mode.It has less than 500kms on it and has been back to the dealer twice.So far they don't know what is causing it.There is nothing loose underneath.Seems to be coming from the front.

Does anyone know what the possible cause might be?It was ordered from the factory for me so I didn't get a chance to test drive it before buying it

• Sad 1

It might be worth asking the dealer if your EH has noise cancelling technology or not... Ford used this tech on previous hybrids (Fusion, C-Max) and it made a difference in terms of hearing engine sounds at road speed. I notice the difference between my daughter's EH and my older model C-Max, but I'm not sure if the absence of noise cancellation accounts for the added sounds I hear in her vehicle or not.

Most hybrid Escapes make a rattling type noise from the engine/transmission with the engine running at idle that goes away with light throttle. There was a PCM update for that a while back but I'm not sure what happened with that. My wife's Escape certainly still makes the noise when it's cold especially. It's not anything to worry about if it is the same noise. 

On 1/18/2022 at 7:41 AM, Tommytwo said:

Thank you for your input.This Escape does not have noise canceling technology.It has now been in the service garage for 4 days now and they cannot find the source of the noise.They are currently waiting for a answer from Ford engineers.

Please update us when you get an answer - hopefully they can determine the issue and correct your Escape to your satisfaction.

7 hours ago, Sceve said:

Most hybrid Escapes make a rattling type noise from the engine/transmission with the engine running at idle that goes away with light throttle. There was a PCM update for that a while back but I'm not sure what happened with that. My wife's Escape certainly still makes the noise when it's cold especially. It's not anything to worry about if it is the same noise. 

The noise that it makes is like an exhaust leak. It is constant when the gas engine takes over.It only stops when running in the battery mode.Thanks for your reply.

On 1/20/2022 at 10:45 AM, Tommytwo said:

Thanks I will.

Finally Ford tech service got in touch with the service manager and told him to check the engine and transmission mounts and if they are ok then  the noise is normal for the hybrid escape.So the dealer let me drive a used 2021 Escape for a few hours to see if it made a similar noise.Well it did but not as loud as mine.He told me as they build more of the 2022 and other people complain there might be a fix for it.So we will wait In the meantime I am going to try and get in touch with Fords myself and tell them what is going on.

On 1/24/2022 at 11:44 AM, Tommytwo said:

Finally Ford tech service got in touch with the service manager and told him to check the engine and transmission mounts and if they are ok then  the noise is normal for the hybrid escape.So the dealer let me drive a used 2021 Escape for a few hours to see if it made a similar noise.Well it did but not as loud as mine.He told me as they build more of the 2022 and other people complain there might be a fix for it.So we will wait In the meantime I am going to try and get in touch with Fords myself and tell them what is going on.

Because the noise is not as loud as last years model I''m wondering if Ford has cut down on the hood or engine compartment insulation for 2022? or changed something that allows more noise to enter the passenger compartment.As a retired Ford employee I have seen them cut corners to try and save a dollar.sometimes it came back to bite them.

On 1/24/2022 at 11:44 AM, Tommytwo said:

Finally Ford tech service got in touch with the service manager and told him to check the engine and transmission mounts and if they are ok then  the noise is normal for the hybrid escape.So the dealer let me drive a used 2021 Escape for a few hours to see if it made a similar noise.Well it did but not as loud as mine.

24 minutes ago, Tommytwo said:

Because the noise is not as loud as last years model I''m wondering if Ford has cut down on the hood or engine compartment insulation for 2022? or changed something that allows more noise to enter the passenger compartment.As a retired Ford employee I have seen them cut corners to try and save a dollar.sometimes it came back to bite them.

You are correct Tommytwo sir, what you found is an example of decontenting that Ford is very well known for. For 2022 model year Escape, Ford removed the hood insulator that acts in part to reduce engine noise transmitted to the cabin. Sometime in 2020 or 2021, Ford also got rid of the engine cover for Escapes as well.

Photos showing 2021 Escape hood (insulator installed) and 2022 Escape hood (no insulator) attached.

2021EscapeHood.jpg

2022EscapeHood.jpg

On 1/20/2022 at 10:45 AM, Tommytwo said:

Thanks I will.

My Escape 2022 hybrid does have the hood insulator installed so they must have removed something else for this model year.Hard to believe I’m the only one who has the noise problem with this car.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tommytwo said:

My Escape 2022 hybrid does have the hood insulator installed so they must have removed something else for this model year.Hard to believe I’m the only one who has the noise problem with this car.

Thanks for the follow-up Tommytwo sir. Good to hear that your 2022 Escape has the hood insulator, but that makes the noise issue you raised in this thread more mysterious. 

Edited by rperez817