The Fusion finally stranded me

jcartwright99

I was driving through some neighborhoods yesterday and got stuck by a moving truck. Reversed to get to another street and it wouldn’t go back in drive.

I tried everything but it kept giving me a fault message. Annoying. Had it towed to the dealership. That powertrain warranty looks like it was a good idea!

After searching online I think I have an idea. There is a cheap connector to trans that wears out. I’ll find out tomorrow.

A 2017 with 91k and I’ve been thinking about a replacement. However, I’d rather buy in 2023…. when inventory is a little better.

Edited by jcartwright99

On 1/16/2022 at 9:18 AM, jcartwright99 said:

I was driving through some neighborhoods yesterday and got stuck by a moving truck. Reversed to get to another street and it wouldn’t go back in drive.

I tried everything but it kept giving me a fault message. Annoying. Had it towed to the dealership. That powertrain warranty looks like it was a good idea!

After searching online I think I have an idea. There is a cheap connector to trans that wears out. I’ll find out tomorrow.

A 2017 with 91k and I’ve been thinking about a replacement. However, I’d rather buy in 2023…. when inventory is a little better.

Hi jcartwright. Just curious...since you don't mention what model are you waiting for in the 2023 model year. I assume you are aware that the Fusion was discontinued after the 2020 model year and there is no 2021-2022-2023 model.

Thought I would mention it though, just in case.

Good luck.

Edited by bbf2530

1 hour ago, bbf2530 said:

Hi jcartwright. Just curios...since you don't mention what model are you waiting for in the 2023 model year. I assume you are aware that the Fusion was discontinued after the 2020 model year and there is no 2021-2022-2023 model.

Thought I would mention it though, just in case.

Good luck.

I'm aware. Bronco, Bronco Sport, Maverick, and Ranger are all prospects I have in mind.  Suburu wagon also might get a look. No idea what the inventory will look like in a year. I want to assume it will be better but there is no guarantee. 

9 hours ago, jcartwright99 said:

I'm aware. Bronco, Bronco Sport, Maverick, and Ranger are all prospects I have in mind.  Suburu wagon also might get a look. No idea what the inventory will look like in a year. I want to assume it will be better but there is no guarantee. 

Before I bought my 2000 Lincoln LS I looked at Mercury Cougars and Mustang GTs and a couple of other totally different vehicles.   If I didn’t need a pickup with a longer bed and was shopping for a daily driver those would be on my list too.

On 1/17/2022 at 8:04 AM, akirby said:

Before I bought my 2000 Lincoln LS I looked at Mercury Cougars and Mustang GTs and a couple of other totally different vehicles.   If I didn’t need a pickup with a longer bed and was shopping for a daily driver those would be on my list too.

If this were for me only, this list would have some wildcards in it. However, since it’s me, my special needs son, and his gear ( stroller/wheelchair and such) I need more utility. I’ve outgrown the Fusion for sure. I’m almost thinking the BS maybe too small.

In regards to the Fusion, it ended up being an external transmission cable that needed to be replaced. Since it was outside of the transmission, it was not covered by the powertrain warranty. $555 with labor and tax.

Not horrible but more than I wanted to pay. As it gets older, I expect certain things to wear out. It’s a gamble the longer you own a car and precisely why I’m eyeing a new one possibly in 2023.

• Like 2